Kristen Bell voices concern about message ‘Snow White’ sends to daughters

Kristen Bell, the voice of Anna in Disney's hit animated film "Frozen," revealed in an interview published Wednesday her concerns about the message "Snow White" sends to her two daughters.

Bell told Parents magazine that she asks her daughters, "Don't you think that it's weird that the prince kisses Snow White without her permission? Because you cannot kiss someone if they're sleeping!" she said.

The 38-year-old actress appeared to worry about the message of consent, particularly what it means for her young girls Lincoln, 5, and Delta, 3.

Bell, who reads to her daughters every night, also expressed concerns about the part when Snow White eats an apple from the witch -- a stranger.

"Everytime we close Snow White I look at my girls and ask 'Don't you think it's weird that Snow White didn't ask the old witch why she needed to eat the apple? Or where she got the apple?' I say, 'I would never take food from a stranger, would you?' And my kids are like, 'No!' And I'm like, 'OK, I'm doing something right,'" she told the magazine.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/kristen-bell-voices-concern-about-message-snow-white-sends-to-daughters

Idiots raising more idiots. 

• Sad 1

I'm looking forward to the PC version of all the Disney films. 

I would hope that children should be able to distinguish between something that's fantasy and something that's real. Or is that asking too much?

She's right about the Apple. In regards to the kiss. In CPR I've learned there is implied consent and it protects you from any BS like that. Considering his kiss resuscitated her I think the law is on the Prince's side. I'm not sure if he knew that as I've never seen Snow White, but if he didn't I suppose it's a legal grey area. Oh... and shut up Kristen Bell and stick to being a paid puppet for my entertainment.

4 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I would hope that children should be able to distinguish between something that's fantasy and something that's real. Or is that asking too much?

I think it goes beyond understanding.  Lots of idiots out there that take something innocent and put a bad twist on it.  I mean, cannot watch Cinderella because a woman shouldn't be waiting around for a man to rescue here?  Really?    I am really glad I am not a kid right now as the world is getting dumber and dumber by the day.  Hopefully I won't be around when it all goes to hell.   

• Like 3

Just now, techbeck said:

I think it goes beyond understanding.  Lots of idiots out there that take something innocent and put a bad twist on it.  I mean, cannot watch Cinderella because a woman shouldn't be waiting around for a man to rescue here?  Really?    I am really glad I am not a kid right now as the world is getting dumber and dumber by the day.  Hopefully I won't be around when it all goes to hell.   

I mean this is the thing where does it stop? 

Santa - strange man entering your house without your permission?!

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Hopefully I won't be around when it all goes to hell.   

Oh, hmm. I don't like to be the one who breaks the news. Oh! I know. There is a way out of this... Are you around right now? Please say no...

I must admit that I am embarrassed that this never occurred to me. But indeed, it verges on sexual assault. Hopefully if the original is re-released on a newer format like UHD BD Disney will make some changes to avoid potentially promoting this behavior as acceptable in today's society.

I have endeavored to stay on top of the latest developments as it concerns things like microaggressions, triggering, and macroaggressions. I was born in the 1980s so there was a lot of really offensive stuff that isn't compatible with today's society around even in the 1990s that would even be macroaggressive in severity.

4 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

I must admit that I am embarrassed that this never occurred to me. But indeed, it verges on sexual assault. Hopefully if the original is re-released on a newer format like UHD BD Disney will make some changes to avoid potentially promoting this behavior as acceptable in today's society.

I have endeavored to stay on top of the latest developments as it concerns things like microaggressions, triggering, and macroaggressions. I was born in the 1980s so there was a lot of really offensive stuff around even in the 1990s that would even be macroaggressive in severity.

I'm pretty sure you're coming on to me.

• Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

I have endeavored to stay on top of the latest developments as it concerns things like microaggressions, triggering, and macroaggressions. I was born in the 1980s so there was a lot of really offensive stuff that isn't compatible with today's society around even in the 1990s that would even be macroaggressive in severity.

Yea, totally disagree.   I watched all of these things growing up and never once considered it to be assaulting anyone.  Nor did I grow up and assault anyone either.    Problem these days, people want to ban this/that and make everything "safe" for their kids.  Then their kids grow up not knowing how to handle certain situations and people wonder why they have issues as adults.  Next, CPR will not be allowed unless a person has a card on them authorizing it incase of an emergency.    Protect your kids, fine, but don't make them stupid that they cannot function as adults.   Don't make them become idiots in the process.

@techbeckSaid it better than I could have :)

See my post above...where do we stop making changes to be correct? If Disney release a film in the future that tackles these "issues" then fine, but let's not change what's already out there.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

I am embarrassed for people like you typing stuff like that in a place I hang out...

Just now, techbeck said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as they keep it civil. 

You beat me to it again. :P

I know that this topic may get some pretty passionate responses, but let's try and keep it civil. 

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

You beat me to it again. 😛

Well, I will try to slow down so you  can keep up....

I am all for changing things that actually matter.  But I don't know anyone who thought those movies/shows were anything bad.   And kids are to babied these days.  Don't get me started on participation trophies....

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

No one is entitled to an opinion. Some people are given a stage to share their opinion, by invitation. Others thrust it upon the world. The problem is there has been far less inviting and far more thrusting. You really aren't entitled to anything outside of what goes on in your own head. Truly. Nothing. You've been invited by society and peers to share certain opinions so long as it's endorsed by many or a select few. The opinions I hold are no longer really inviting nor do I feel invited so for the most part I keep it to myself (which I am entitled to do). The crazy going on in the world is bordering so far into reality having been designed from the ground up to troll me. There are very real problems that my kids will face and absolutely none of them come from consent in Snow White.

I wish people would really stop thinking they have any entitlements. What a world that'd be. 

Just now, astropheed said:

No one is entitled to an opinion. Some people are given a stage to share their opinion, by invitation. Others thrust it upon the world. The problem is there has been far less inviting and far more thrusting. You really aren't entitled to anything outside of what goes on in your own head. Truly. Nothing. You've been invited by society and peers to share certain opinions so long as it's endorsed by many or a select few. The opinions I hold are no longer really inviting nor do I feel invited so for the most part I keep it to myself (which I am entitled to do). The crazy going on in the world is bordering so far into reality having been designed from the ground up to troll me. There are very real problems that my kids will face and absolutely none of them come from consent in Snow White.

I wish people would really stop thinking they have any entitlements. What a world that'd be. 

Free speech give you the right to voice your opinion and say what is on your mind.  So yes, people are entitled to their opinions.  They are not however entitled to force those on to other people

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, techbeck said:

Free speech give you the right to voice your opinion and say what is on your mind.

Which is backed by society. It's not a real thing. It's made up. It's an arbitrary entitlement that can be taken away at any time. 

2 minutes ago, astropheed said:

Disagree, opinions can be had by any. 

Whether you should share them or not is something I'd question and if someone is entitled to an opinion, I should also be entitled to one and it may not agree with yours!

• Like 2

Just now, astropheed said:

Which is backed by society. It's not a real thing. It's made up. It's an arbitrary entitlement that can be taken away at any time. 

It is still an entitlement.  Whether or not it gets taken away is besides the point,

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

I'm looking forward to the PC version of all the Disney films. 

The PC version is everyone staying indoors, never interacting with "strangers" and becoming a SJW (keyboard warrior) on the interwebz.

I'm not going to sway either of you and see no reason why I should need to. It's an "entitlement" to have certain opinions, I agree. An entitlement bestowed upon you by society (as per my original post). I suppose I have a stricter idea of the word. That's fine. I will add though that certain opinions can remove your right to have opinions either by way of prison or execution. To me that really doesn't sound like an entitlement to opinion but more an entitlement to not have entitlements.

To be frank. I have a personal bias against this current movement of personal entitlement and fragile feelings. I'm getting too old to change and will probably get slapped (or I fear worse) for my structured unwavering approach to any of it. Too many keyboards and not enough fists.

ah jesus just when you think the world couldn't get weirder...that said I've always felt Roger Ramjet and Gummi bears promoted substance abuse so who knows.

I'd be more concerned about Kristen expecting an 80 year old movie based on a centuries-old folk tale to conform to modern standards. Although I will say she's handing it right by using it as a teaching tool. If she wants to show her daughters a strong version of the character, there's the one from Once Upon a Time.

I don't really see the whole "consent" issue in the case of the Prince, because Snow was believed to be dead at that point of the story. It wasn't forcing himself on someone without consent, it was a last goodbye. I'd be more concerned about the Prince's willingness to place his lips on an apparent corpse, TBH ... I'm not going to say it's necrophilia since it was clearly a goodbye act borne of mourning, but yuck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, techbeck said:

yes and this was mine 😊