Kristen Bell voices concern about message ‘Snow White’ sends to daughters

a local school to me just pulled their production of Aladdin because someone was "offended by it" and how it portrayed middle eastern people....... wtf this is just getting stupid

what next, someone complaining beauty and the beast is wrong because the girl was held against her will by a big evil man? (even though Belle voluntarily switched places with her dad)

Just now, neufuse said:

a local school to me just pulled their production of Aladdin because someone was "offended by it" and how it portrayed middle eastern people....... wtf this is just getting stupid

Well, there was an edit done to the opening theme between the theatrical and video releases of Aladdin, because a line was considered insensitive to middle eastern people. So there's a precedent there.

10 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Well, there was an edit done to the opening theme between the theatrical and video releases of Aladdin, because a line was considered insensitive to middle eastern people. So there's a precedent there.

I'm sure a middle school play isn't using a version that was deemed  offensive

18 minutes ago, neufuse said:

I'm sure a middle school play isn't using a version that was deemed  offensive

Probably not. Personally, I'd go politically incorrect and adapt the old Shazzan cartoon. Two white-as-Wonder-bread kids from New England are transported to the world of the Arabian Knights, and take on evil sorcerers and Sultans with the help of their genie Shazzan. 😂

The cartoon was actually quite good for the time, but I doubt it would fly these days. Although there were at least as many positive portrayals of Middle Easterners as villainous, so it might be okay. But there might be objections to the idea that the natives need these white kids to save them, even if it was really Shazzan saving the day - which it always was in the end. Still, it was always fun watching Shazzan curb-stomp and totally humiliate the bad guys. Laughing the whole time!

31 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Probably not. Personally, I'd go politically incorrect and adapt the old Shazzan cartoon. Two white-as-Wonder-bread kids from New England are transported to the world of the Arabian Knights, and take on evil sorcerers and Sultans with the help of their genie Shazzan. 😂

The cartoon was actually quite good for the time, but I doubt it would fly these days. Although there were at least as many positive portrayals of Middle Easterners as villainous, so it might be okay. But there might be objections to the idea that the natives need these white kids to save them, even if it was really Shazzan saving the day - which it always was in the end. Still, it was always fun watching Shazzan curb-stomp and totally humiliate the bad guys. Laughing the whole time!

see i never got how someone from another race helping another race is somehow offensive... that seems to be the opposite... and every race has villains, so to show one group has a villain isn't racist to me still because there are so many others showing the opposite also.. maybe women should be offended at Disney for making so many evil women characters... Evil queen, ursula, cruelella de ville, and so on...

2 minutes ago, neufuse said:

see i never got how someone from another race helping another race is somehow offensive... that seems to be the opposite... and every race has villains, so to show one group has a villain isn't racist to me still because there are so many others showing the opposite also.. maybe women should be offended at Disney for making so many evil women characters... Evil queen, ursula, cruelella de ville, and so on...

Precisely - it was actually a rather balanced mix. You had both good and evil locals.

And there were plenty of occasions when Chuck and Nancy got help from the locals as well. Not to mention getting rescued by Shazzan himself every episode!

I think I need to watch a few more episodes tonight.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:45 AM, J. X. Maxwell said:

The best response would be to fund the version where she wakes up only after giving birth.

In some early "Sleeping Beauty" variants, the princess get raped by the prince and wakes up after giving birth.

2 hours ago, tiagosilva29 said:

In some early "Sleeping Beauty" variants, the princess get raped by the prince and wakes up after giving birth.

😮