Kristen Bell voices concern about message ‘Snow White’ sends to daughters

27 minutes ago, warwagon said:

The bigger question is how many dwarfs got frisky with her before the prince arrived?

Tyrion Lannister is Daenerys Stormborn's dwarf, not Snow White's! 😛

Go looking for PC agenda's and it's not hard to find one.  However, are her daughters outcast princesses that are forced to co-habit with 7 dwarfs?  No?  Oh, OK then...

Sounds like Kristen Bell is a brainwashed PC loon. This is just getting silly. The last 2 decades have been out of control with this nonsense. People need to be able to differentiate between fantasy and reality, as well as right and wrong on their own without the constant hand-holding from people who think they know better than everyone else.

4 hours ago, astropheed said:

She's right about the Apple.

She's wrong about the Apple, because the Apple demonstrates why you don't trust people, and that not everyone in the world is there for your benefit.

The lesson is exactly what she's worries about. Take something from strangers and you could end up helpless. But I guess these days children should be protected from even learning those lessons at all.

55 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

The lesson is exactly what she's worries about. Take something from strangers and you could end up helpless. But I guess these days children should be protected from even learning those lessons at all.

Yeah, it is not a encouragement to take food from a stranger, and she is not a smart person for "showing concern" about this stuff been in a tale.  This is a lesson about actions and consequences and it is exactly the stuff children should learn from the tales...   in fact that is how tales are designed by humans!

but of course, the kids dont need lessons nowadays, they are protected from real life forever 🤯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disney movies are stories and are not meant to raise your children.

fair·y tale

/ˈferē tāl/

noun

a children's story about magical and imaginary beings and lands.

synonyms:folk tale, folk story, traditional story, myth, legend, fantasy, fable

"the movie was inspired by a fairy tale"

denoting something regarded as resembling a fairy story in being magical, idealized, or extremely happy.

modifier noun: fairy-tale

"a fairy-tale romance"

a fabricated story, especially one intended to deceive.

synonyms:lie, white lie, fib, half-truth, untruth, falsehood, tall tale, story, fabrication, invention, fiction; More

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This garbage is out of control, it's akin to the SJW's trying to file a lawsuit on behalf of the nurse that got kissed in that famous picture when the soldiers returned from WW2...………. around last year. 

55 minutes ago, Alien Spy said:

Disney movies are stories and are not meant to raise your children.

fair·y tale

/ˈferē tāl/

noun

a children's story about magical and imaginary beings and lands.

synonyms:folk tale, folk story, traditional story, myth, legend, fantasy, fable

"the movie was inspired by a fairy tale"

denoting something regarded as resembling a fairy story in being magical, idealized, or extremely happy.

modifier noun: fairy-tale

"a fairy-tale romance"

a fabricated story, especially one intended to deceive.

synonyms:lie, white lie, fib, half-truth, untruth, falsehood, tall tale, story, fabrication, invention, fiction; More

actually, fairy tales ARE meant to educate your children and help you raise them. and disney takes a lot of classic fairy tales, snow white being one of them

this is the first google result, but there are lots of research about the topic

The Educational Value of Fairy-Stories and Myths

read it, you might learn something, something Kristen Bell clearly has no idea about.

6 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I'm looking forward to the PC version of all the Disney films. 

I would hope that children should be able to distinguish between something that's fantasy and something that's real. Or is that asking too much?

Hoping her kids didn't watch the Lion King then, else they might think murder is acceptable to get what you want or as payback! :laugh: :rolleyes: 

I dunno, we should be able to have fantasy whilst ensuring our children understand the differences between real life and make believe. I think the problem is these parents that look for shows and movies to park their kids in front of, then get mad with the content instead of... ya know, educating their kids.

Come to think of it, maybe Snow White is the reason why I got my first kiss in kindergarten lol. Some girl tackled me and kissed me on the lips. IF ONLY SNOW WHITE HAD TAUGHT THIS GIRL ABOUT CONSENT!!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dead.cell said:

, then get mad with the content instead of... ya know, educating their kids.

😉 see my post above.

also: some parents also cannot understand that best learning comes from play.  they think education should be buzz kill.  learning though games and fairy tales is the way children learn best . Just some parents cannot see it, because they look for "offensive" stuff, and are "triggered" by everything now.

• Like 2

Just now, Jimmy #1 said:

😉 see my post above.

also: some parents also cannot understand that best learning comes from play.  they think education should be buzz kill.  learning though games and fairy tales is the way children learn best .

Yes, maybe some overarching lessons sure. Lion King's is what... don't run from your problems?

If we took every aspect as a literal way of life, then I'd hakuna matata my way out of work every day. :laugh:

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dead.cell said:

Yes, maybe some overarching lessons sure. Lion King's is what... don't run from your problems?

If we took every aspect as a literal way of life, then I'd hakuna matata my way out of work every day. :laugh:

https://hellogiggles.com/lifestyle/20-life-lessons-learned-lion-king-20th-birthday/

there are lot more lesson in lion king.  it really shows you life.   one of my favorite cartoons ever. i wonder how the live remake will be.  i mean i was skeptical about jungle book but it turned out all right.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2018 at 10:01 AM, shockz said:

Sounds like Kristen Bell is a brainwashed PC loon. This is just getting silly. The last 2 decades have been out of control with this nonsense. People need to be able to differentiate between fantasy and reality, as well as right and wrong on their own without the constant hand-holding from people who think they know better than everyone else.

Agreed!!

I'm sticking with the kiss as being equivalent to administering CPR - generally protected under Good Samaritan laws.

What the heck, Neowin.

(…) Some time later, a prince stumbles upon Snow White lying in her glass coffin and instantly falls in love with her. The seven dwarfs succumb to his entreaties to let him have Snow White. The moment he lifts the coffin to carry it away to her proper resting place, one of the servants trips and loses his balance. This caused the piece of poisoned apple to dislodge from Snow White's throat, reviving her. Enchanted by Snow White's beauty, the Prince declares his love for her. Snow White and the prince invite everyone to come to their wedding party, including Snow White's mother. (…)

She was already in a proper resting place: the forest that she loved and protected her. Unless… the necrophiliac prince wanted to pork the corpse of Snow White, because… you know, it would be a waste!

So yeah, let's softcore this ######.

(…) Some time later, a prince stumbles upon Snow White lying in her glass coffin and instantly falls in love with her. The seven dwarfs succumb to his entreaties to let him have Snow White. The prince removed the lid of the coffin and kissed Snow causing the piece of poisoned apple to dislodge from Snow White's throat, reviving her. Enchanted by Snow White's beauty, the Prince declares his love for her. Snow White and the prince invite everyone to come to their wedding party, including Snow White's mother. (…)

There is no way this prince knows basic life support or detection/handling airway blockages. So now we still have a necrophiliac prince that only french/deep kissed the corpse of Snow White and his tongue was long enough to reach her pharynx. But he could only do that with a long tongue, and a very small cranial frame Snow White.

Here's the kicker: in this kissing version of the story, Snow White was born a dwarf; Mother got postpartum post-traumatic stress disorder; everybody in the castle told Snow White that she was the fairest of them all because you know, poor Snow White; Mother flipped and tried to kill her multiple times, Snow White escapes and finds refuge with dwarves that were ostracized (she wasn't because she had royal blood) and you know the rest of the story, necrophiliac prince and stuff.

So yes, Kristen Bell is right. A necrophiliac prince frenchkissing a corpse is bad juju.

3 minutes ago, tiagosilva29 said:

What the heck, Neowin.

She was already in a proper resting place: the forest that she loved and protected her. Unless… the necrophiliac prince wanted to pork the corpse of Snow White, because… you know, it would be a waste!

So yeah, let's softcore this ######.

There is no way this prince knows basic life support or detection/handling airway blockages. So now we still have a necrophiliac prince that only french/deep kissed the corpse of Snow White and his tongue was long enough to reach her pharynx. But he could only do that with a long tongue, and a very small cranial frame Snow White.

And where exactly in Disney's version does the whole necrophilia aspect manifest? We're talking about Disney's version, not any of the earlier, admittedly creepier incarnations of the story. That stuff has absolutely nothing to do with Kristen's objections, or the discussion. (Interesting in its own right, though; just not all that relevant.)

I kind of agree that attributing resuscitation as a motive for the prince is a bit of a stretch, but it's reasonable for him to want to say goodbye, even if kissing a cadaver is a bit gross.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DConnell said:

I kind of agree that attributing resuscitation as a motive for the prince is a bit of a stretch, but it's reasonable for him to want to say goodbye, even if kissing a cadaver is a bit gross.

I'm sure that you wouldn't pull the lid of a coffin to frenchkiss a corpse to say goodbye, specially if you have never met that person.

1 hour ago, tiagosilva29 said:

I'm sure that you wouldn't pull the lid of a coffin to frenchkiss a corpse to say goodbye, specially if you have never met that person.

No, but I'm not a fairy tale prince. And he had met Snow before, at least briefly. Not long enough to warrant a kiss goodbye in the real world granted, but fairy tales aren't exactly known for realistic depictions of relationships. A more sophisticated telling might have had Snow sneaking off to see Charming and other relationship-building scenes, but this was the first animated feature ever made, from a time when movie storytelling was still in a simple, developing stage.

A lot of the movie wouldn't fly these days and other elements would be expanded upon, but it isn't right to condemn an 80 year old movie for not adhering to modern standards. But the answer would be to make a newer version (like say ... a badass Snow White actively leading a resistance against her stepmother, perhaps?)

Kristen ought be using the movie as a teaching tool, rather than complaining about the content.

23 hours ago, DConnell said:

And he had met Snow before, at least briefly.

Not in the folklore. Maybe in the movie? I don't know, still wouldn't stick my tongue on the mouth of a dead person.

9 minutes ago, tiagosilva29 said:

Not in the folklore. Maybe in the movie? I don't know, still wouldn't stick my tongue on the mouth of a dead person.

They did meet in the movie, and it's the movie she's objecting to. What happens in earlier (admittedly creepier) versions of the tale aren't really relevant.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would stick their tongue in a cadaver, but this was in a fairy tale movie, not real life. Besides, I think the kiss in the film was pretty tame IIRC. I own Snow White, but rarely watch it. I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than Snow's voice. 😬 I basically own it because I'm an animation fan, and it's a milestone in animation.