• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

WD Green or Black?

Sir Topham Hatt    239

Quick question...

I have a 2Tb black and a 2Tb Green drive to choose from (I have two hanging around doing nothing). 

It will store documents, photos, music and things waiting to go to other computers.

I like to save money where I can.

I leave the Windows options with hard drives as default so the system will turn them off when it likes.

I've used greens for years with no problems but might get slightly faster responses from the black drive.

Whats best to use?

Cheers

dipsylalapo    1,413
3 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

I've used greens for years with no problems but might get slightly faster responses from the black drive.

Pretty much this bit here!

The files that are stored on this drive....Do you need the faster response to access them? If not Green should suffice.

+BudMan    3,201

Keep in mind the faster access has to do with the finding the file and the initial response - not the speed at which the file will actually be copied off, etc.  Your talking ms here at most. 

If you have not had problems with green, and have no issues with the variable rpm that greens are normally 5400 to 5900.  It should be a bit quieter and use slightly less power.. If this is for just storage of files that are not used all that often, etc.  I would prob use the green so you could use the black where it would make more sense to use the 7200 rpm drive. OS or Gaming sort of storage - but then again you should prob be using SSD for those anyway ;)

• Like 2

Sir Topham Hatt    239

Would the Black be better for gaming?

I guess the loading time differences will be seconds, which is fine for me.

My SSD health is only at 96% (says #177 Wear Leveling Count), but I'm not sure if it's gaming that's done this or not.  But then 96% is still high.

Mindovermaster    1,524

Black is better for gaming. Runs games a lot faster. With the faster read time.

If you are using Green only for storage, that should be fine. Don't try to run games off it.

Sir Topham Hatt    239

Would the Black HDD be better against an SSD?

I have a 500Gb SSD but that leaves 250Gb for the OS/Programs and 250Gb for the games - less as the actual usable space is lower.

Jason S.    1,396

what SSD is it? as a rule of thumb, an SSD will always be faster than a hard drive.

keep the 'green' drive for storage and the 'black' one for applications and gaming.

Astra.Xtreme    2,535

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E2T0B-AM/dp/B0786QNSBD/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Sure, it's 3x the cost of a 2TB WD Black, but it will solve all your bottlenecks and simplify your PC.  You could maybe sell your existing SSDs and HHDs and fund some of it that way.

Yeah I know it's a pretty big expense, but long term I think you'll be glad you did it.  Maybe you won't have to worry about upgrading storage for another 5-10+ years. :)

+warwagon    12,142

I know you have a black or a green but personally, I buy Reds to store stuff on. But I heard that greens like to park the head a lot possibly wearing the drive out leading to a shorter life, that's just what I read.

Circaflex    3,428
2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I know you have a black or a green but personally, I buy Reds to store stuff on. But I heard that greens like to park the head a lot possibly wearing the drive out leading to a shorter life, that's just what I read.

WD also implemented the IntelliPark feature on WD Red models as well. I'd personally stay away from those and the Greens.

Sir Topham Hatt    239
51 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Yeah, I read this.

But I ran a firmware utility to change it so the heads didn't park as much.  There should be a thread here on Neowin about it but it'll be 5-10 years old now.

LaP    1,898

If it's used to store things only then the Green will do. But i would not install anything on a Green drive or use a Green drive to store files i'm actively working on (Projects). Anything in the range of 5000-6000 rpm will be slow as molasses for any activity it will be used for outside of reading big files (like a 4-10GB movie file or some flac music) once in a while.

LaP    1,898
1 hour ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Would the Black HDD be better against an SSD?

I have a 500Gb SSD but that leaves 250Gb for the OS/Programs and 250Gb for the games - less as the actual usable space is lower.

A SSD by a known brand (Samsung, Crucial, ...) will always be better than a HDD. Even the cheap SSDs are better. It doesn't make sound and it's way faster. But it's also 3-5 times more expensive. Personally i have around 2.5TB of ssds (os, apps, projects and some games) and a 2TB hdd used for backup. I would definitely not go back to having my os, apps and projects on a hdd.

It's really a matter of do you have enough money and is it worth it? Using a hdd to store your movies and music is perfectly fine. I feel like using a ssd for this purpose is a waste of money. For games it's debatable. When i'm playing online games i usually don't load much faster than people on hdd.

For my projects though i'm seeing a difference. The whole process is much smoother on ssds. There's no down time where the app is stuck waiting for the hdd. No matter how much ram you have it seems like when you multitask a lot windows will always swap a little bit and turning off the swap usually is causing trouble here and there (last time i tried to turn off swap was a couple of years ago so it might have changed).

+BudMan    3,201
7 hours ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

My SSD health is only at 96% (says #177 Wear Leveling Count), but I'm not sure if it's gaming that's done this or not.  But then 96% is still high.

How old is this SSD?  And what are you using to give you that number?  96% if you had it like 1 week might be a problem, if you had it for 1 year already then different story.

7 hours ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

says #177 Wear Leveling Count

What is that value.. #177 is wear Leveling count - that will have an actual value, are you saying that is 96?. What is the total written amount of data?  If your WLC is at 96, means you have used up 4%  Which is nothing - unless like I said you have had it for 1 week ;)

I have a 860 EVO, WLC at 97 with 5.5TB written total it I bought in March of this year.. I have a 850 pro that 16TB written that I got back in Oct 2015.. that is at 94..

Grab say ssd-life if your curious on what sort of life they can calculate for your drive.. Here is the thing it COULD last for years and years and years.. Or it could die tmrw.. This is with any drive - just make sure your stuff is backed up and doesn't matter ;)

adrynalyne    9,852
10 minutes ago, BudMan said:

How old is this SSD?  And what are you using to give you that number?  96% if you had it like 1 week might be a problem, if you had it for 1 year already then different story.

What is that value.. #177 is wear Leveling count - that will have an actual value, are you saying that is 96?. What is the total written amount of data?  If your WLC is at 96, means you have used up 4%  Which is nothing - unless like I said you have had it for 1 week ;)

I have a 860 EVO, WLC at 97 with 5.5TB written total it I bought in March of this year.. I have a 850 pro that 16TB written that I got back in Oct 2015.. that is at 94..

Grab say ssd-life if your curious on what sort of life they can calculate for your drive.. Here is the thing it COULD last for years and years and years.. Or it could die tmrw.. This is with any drive - just make sure your stuff is backed up and doesn't matter ;)

Lightweight use 😈

Ive a year year old 850 Evo with 20.7TB written.

+BudMan    3,201

Yeah very light weight.. My large movies don't really ever get written to my SSD drives..

Sir Topham Hatt    239

Performed a disk surface test on the black.

Not sure if this is good or not good, although none are red or yellow, so I guess they're "okay" ?

Capture.JPG

+Odom    175
On 10/19/2018 at 4:46 PM, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Yeah, I read this.

But I ran a firmware utility to change it so the heads didn't park as much.  There should be a thread here on Neowin about it but it'll be 5-10 years old now.

That used to be an issue back then (5-10 years ago), nowadays not anymore.

+DevTech    1,252

Just for reference:

1. Your SSD will die suddenly most likely with zero warning. Sooner or later, all SSD's will do that without any of the weird noise death dancing that hard drives do as they hang on to the bitter end of their last cycle. So your current wear level should inspire a review of your backup plan.

2. The WD Black is an Enterprise Quality drive built with extra bearings and other redundancies to produce a long lifetime and fast speed (depending on the generation of Black) - Perfect for gaming, too slow by current standards for boot drive. If you have a good one lying around, use it somewhere!

3. The WD Red is great for storage, the Green is lackluster but OK if 3 TB or larger. I have had a lot of issues with 2 TB Greens.