• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Add citations in a Word document

Question

Q-truth    61

Link: Add citations in a Word document 

Hey everyone, I use word mostly for just typing documents. I am not very knowledgeable to the more powerful tools inside of Word. So I ended up looking for a tutorial to create citations in my writings.

But for anybody in the same position, I'm going to leave this here for anyone to use for college term papers, book reports whatever.

-Q

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Q-truth    61

@goretsky, which would you recommend APA, ISO 690 or GOST? 

Jim K    11,122
40 minutes ago, Q-truth said:

@goretsky, which would you recommend APA, ISO 690 or GOST

Apologies in advance if your question was meant solely for goretsky.

What are you writing...and for who? If it is for class...the instructor should let you know. Various subjects use different citation formats (not sure about ISO ... GOST is Russian???).  APA, MLA or Chicago is usually the standard (with respect to and depending on what  you're writing). For my college papers...I used APA with a few exceptions. I found using the built-in citation thing in Word to be a real benefit.

Purdue University had an excellent resource regarding which citation formats to use.

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/using_research/citation_style_chart.html

• Like 2

Q-truth    61

@Jim KJust doing personal research for a book. I'm simply not well versed with ISO 690, ASA or GOST. I'm not a professional writer. I'm simply retired and wish to write a simple book but giving citations as writers should. Thanks Jim K! 

• Like 1

Jim K    11,122

aaaah.  Chicago style would probably be the "best" one to use in your case.

Good luck!

goretsky    927

Hello,

It seems like every time I do a paper with citations it ends up with a different format than the previous one.  We tend to follow Chicago Manual of Style at work... except when we don't and end up using MLA or some weird hybrid.  A lot of what gets cited are URLs, as opposed to books or periodicals, so I suppose there is some reason for why things keep changing.  I still put in two spaces after a period, though, much to the annoyance of our editing team.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky