WD Blue SSD Question

My SSD Life according to Western Digital Dashboard is at 91 percent is that anything to worry on as yet?    is it cause I do too many clean installs every 6 months?    my first SSD drive that I've used, so little unsure if its fine or if I should get money ready to spring for a Samsung SSD and redo my system install one time on the Samsung SSD, or just keep using the Western Digital 

I wouldn't worry about it, BUT I would set some money aside "just in case" it craps out...

I reinstall Linux distros every 4-6 months. So, I don't see any mass failures.

Ok sets the money aside for just in case then, hopefully all continues to run fine.     I usually clean install on each Windows 10 Feature update, maybe don't have to, but force of habit every 6 months lol

TBH, that is a good habit. It keeps your system clean. Not temp files accumulating over 6 years. And everything you ever installed too...

The SSD in my server has been in 2 years and is currently 94% health with 16TB total data written. As long as the number of bad sectors stays at 0, you're good. It's just the wear leveling algorithm that makes sure all the flash cells are evenly worn. I use HD Sentinel Pro, cracking bit of software, and I always know if any of my drives are developing issues before they get too bad, it sits in the tray and shows me temperature, total power on time in days and hours, total bytes written, and health, as well as other awesome geeky stuff. I can even run surface tests (or tests on flash cells in case of SSD) to check for surface/cell errors normally only shown up during offline self tests, which in an under load system rarely run unless done manually

The health in an SSD does decrease naturally due to the wear leveling and the Total Bytes Written (for my SSD it's about 65TB maximum allowed, and sits now at 16TB, so it has a few years yet, even 24/7), but it doesn't mean it is dying. As long as you keep an eye on spare sectors, reallocated sectors etc, you're good.

Oh Ok Thank you for that info there,  and yes the smart details shows bad sectors at 0, wear level 9.62 percent according to Western Digital Dashboard,  so think i'm ok still, just got a bit worried over nothing again, but common for me 

2 hours ago, bikeman25 said:

Oh Ok Thank you for that info there,  and yes the smart details shows bad sectors at 0, wear level 9.62 percent according to Western Digital Dashboard,  so think i'm ok still, just got a bit worried over nothing again, but common for me 

You're not paranoid, it happens more than you think. A standard HDD can run for years at 100%, so it scares people when they switch to SSD and see it dropping so soon. You're perfectly normal :)

On 10/19/2018 at 5:05 PM, bikeman25 said:

My SSD Life according to Western Digital Dashboard is at 91 percent is that anything to worry on as yet?    is it cause I do too many clean installs every 6 months?    my first SSD drive that I've used, so little unsure if its fine or if I should get money ready to spring for a Samsung SSD and redo my system install one time on the Samsung SSD, or just keep using the Western Digital 

That percentage is pretty useless unless you also state how long you have the drive for. If you have it for a few weeks, then it isn't good, if a year or longer, then it might be normal.

Had this Western digital Blue 250GB SSD since February 2016 originally used in my AMD FX System, then transferred to my new Intel I7 7700 G11CD-K Desktop when I got this machine September 2017 

On 10/23/2018 at 7:35 PM, bikeman25 said:

Had this Western digital Blue 250GB SSD since February 2016 originally used in my AMD FX System, then transferred to my new Intel I7 7700 G11CD-K Desktop when I got this machine September 2017 

In that case don't worry about it