I found an HP 110 (1980s laptop) - What GOOD can it do for ME?

lol sorry the title.  OK, I obtained a 1984/5/8? Hewlette Packard laptop, Salvation Army.. $10, half off.. so a lovely $5.  No power adapter, but I plan to get one on ebay.  Seems to be available ;) 

EDIT: Also forgot to ask, did this thing take a typical spinning hard drive?

Lately I've been interested in old machines. Tinker around with'em, run whatever they have... I doubt it'll be as useful as my previously mentioned (another topic) Toshiba laptop and daisywheel printer. I did get around to printing some docs through DOS just for fun. But THIS HP laptop is so unusual. According to the web, it uses proprietary connectors for external floppy drive and a printer. Quite an interesting setup when it's all complete. I doubt I'll ever get around to finding them... or affording them 😛  So my options are to either keep it for novelty (display it behind glass) or sell it... I kinda don't want to. I sold my terminal not too long ago and I regret it.  I dunno, maybe for halloween I'll dress 80s and carry it/ go to starbucks and start typing on it 😛 

Someone posted it in action on YT.  What's your take on this beast?

Edited by Izlude

Y and Z are flipped. interesting.

Most computers in the 80s took tape drives. And most of them didn't even use PATA yet.

15 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Y and Z are flipped. interesting.

Most computers in the 80s took tape drives. And most of them didn't even use PATA yet.

That is the so called QUERTZ keyboard, usual in Europe.

Have you read this?

http://oldcomputers.net/hp110.html

On the down-side, there is no easy way to upgrade this system, as there are no internal expansion slots. It has no built-in floppy drive or hard disk, nor a standard cassette recorder interface. 

The external ports are an HP-IL interface, a serial port, and a phone connection for the internal 300 baud modem, which works with the built-in terminal emulator. 

The HP-IL interface is a two-wire, serial interface that can support up to 30 devices at once. Compatible devices include printers, the HP digital cassette drive, the HP-9114B battery-powered floppy drive (seen here on the right), and various test equipment. 

Basically, what you got is what you got.  It was the first portable by HP though...so I guess you have a novelty piece.  Just don't expect to go and play Crysis on it.  :)

Does yours work?

2 hours ago, Jim K said:

Have you read this?

http://oldcomputers.net/hp110.html

Basically, what you got is what you got.  It was the first portable by HP though...so I guess you have a novelty piece.  Just don't expect to go and play Crysis on it.  :)

Does yours work?

Does that run some type of DOS?

2 hours ago, Yogurth said:

That is the so called QUERTZ keyboard, usual in Europe.

Reason I never heard of it. I'm in USA 😛  

47 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Does that run some type of DOS?

Reason I never heard of it. I'm in USA 😛  

According to that website I listed "MS-DOS 2.11 in ROM"

I ordered a plug, it should arrive in about 2 weeks.  Hope it works, that would be really neat.  But wow, DOS 2?  Wonder if Ed Chess or Star Trek DOS would work on it. Only one way to find out. I'll bump in a few weeks for follow up.  Really interesting info there Jim!

25 minutes ago, DConnell said:

If it doesn't work, toss some modern laptop parts in it to make it a custom portable.

Haha, that's an idea. I doubt his 13" screen will fit in it...

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Haha, that's an idea. I doubt his 13" screen will fit in it...

Maybe the screen from an old netbook?

Just now, DConnell said:

Maybe the screen from an old netbook?

Netbooks are usually 11". That screen is rather small.

I think the screen on my old Acer Aspire One had a 9" screen (IIRC). Wonder if that would be small enough? Of course I'm thinking of finding a screen that will fit the overall display housing, not simply the little cutout area ... 🤔