Delta IV Heavy: NROL-71 (mission)

14 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Pretty launch ... glad it didn't go "boom" (seemed like this mission had been snakebit).

Yea, a lot of problems with it. 

BTW, was not joking about the bow tie. Think I found a close one 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/209969079/star-bowtie-modern-boys-bowtie-toddler?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=star+bow+tie&ref=sc_gallery-1-4&plkey=5a927b18ef5d22dd2c68c45eeccfc7a44c6cc095%3A209969079

😀

Yep, looked pretty good but the engines weren't burning completely cleanly at first. And did anyone else notice the scoring going up nearly the full length of one of the side boosters? That'd be from that first launch attempt, I'd bet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Yep, looked pretty good but the engines weren't burning completely cleanly at first. And did anyone else notice the scoring going up nearly the full length of one of the side boosters? That'd be from that first launch attempt, I'd bet.

yup, i noticed it straight away. I'm surprised they've managed to turn it around so quickly to be honest.

• Like 2

H2O2 fires ... nasty, nasty, nasty. Capable of making anything burn, just needs the ignition source ...

So much for the line of BS about those engines not having ignited. The recycle time for the launcher and likely the pad (GSE damage) says that they were lit, however briefly. Couple that with the obvious scoring we're observing and the deluge system coming to the rescue beforehand and it tells us everything that took place.

That insulation layer got cooked. It's the only way that happens. We saw that with the Shuttle's EFT also, when they'd jettison it -- and that's the same material as the D4H.