network link

To start this off I knew I screwed up I've been kicking myself about it for the last couple of years.

My broadband comes in near the front door, and when I was re-doing the house to our style after moving in I ran the cable under the floor to my dining room where my adsl router and wifi access point (apple time capsule) sit. They are in the centre of a wall in the centre of the house, ideally placed for wifi everywhere. That wall backs onto the wall in my living room that has my tv, nvidia shield ect so I've punched a small hole through and wired them in with cat6.

This is where it gets annoying, I had all the floor up in both rooms, I even had the dining room replastered, and I didn't run a network cable to anywhere else. It would have been so easy to upstairs or out the front but now the floor is down, it would require a massive overhaul to take it back up, including skirting boards pulled off ect, not happening and there is no other way of getting a network cable out without it running across a floor or around a fireplace looking pretty naff. I thought meh, I'll just use powerline adapters.

Well, it turns out the wiring in the house is a bit crap. I can often get about 2mbs to my media server in the garage, my desktop pc upstairs and fire tv both run off another powerline are a bit better but rarely go over 10mbs. I have worked a way that I can run a long cat6 cable out of my garage, round the back of the house and into the back bedroom where the desktop pc is via a switch, bit of work but not too bad.

The problem is connecting that part of the network up to the part where the ADSL router is.

As far as I can tell I have two options.

1- Take a new feed from my mains control box in the garage, the same feed that runs to my mains in my dining room so they are on the same circuit and at least part of it is new and plug the powerline in there.

2-Get a wireless access point, probably AC and mount that somewhere. Where I am not sure, there are some pretty thick walls between my garage and the time capsule, or side it faceing down on the floor of the bedroom, probably about 3 feet from the time capsule but having to go through the floor or run another cable around the front of the house, punch through to the dining room and mount the access point behind the curtain (drapes) so it's out of view but apart from the curtain in direct line of sight.

I've attached a rough layout of the ground floor to give an idea of what I'm talking about.

Can anyone else suggest anything that I'm missing?

tempsnip.jpg

What about if you move the ADSL modem / router back to the hallway?

Presuming you can run a CAT6 cable though to the garage, you can then take this upstairs and have a switch in a bedroom out the way.

It might well be possible to mount something like a UniFi AP on the ceiling downstairs and have this connected to the switch in the bedroom upstairs?

As much as i wouldn't want a streaming device like the Nvidia Shield to be on WiFi, it should get a pretty strong connection with a good quality access point on the ceiling. Maybe it would even be possible to run a cable discreetly down a wall in some trunking from upstairs going behind a bookcase or something? to possibly provide some sort of wired connectivity downstairs.

Just a few random suggestions for you, its probably not going to be a straightforward job whatever you decide to do sadly.

yeah that's the risk with powerline adapters; they rely wholey on the quality of the wiring in the walls...

I agree with @InsaneNutter I think moving the router to somewhere slightly more accessible and using UniFi APs in a few places should give you great coverage. I've heard nothing but good things about the UniFi APs

4 hours ago, anthdci said:

where the desktop pc is via a switch, bit of work but not too bad.

And this switch runs to where?  If that connects to your router via a wire your good to go..

Placement of unifi AP would for sure give you great coverage.. But to be honest you really want to run a wire. Since they are POE... While they can do wireless uplink, you still need to provide them power, etc.

4 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

What about if you move the ADSL modem / router back to the hallway?

Presuming you can run a CAT6 cable though to the garage, you can then take this upstairs and have a switch in a bedroom out the way.

It might well be possible to mount something like a UniFi AP on the ceiling downstairs and have this connected to the switch in the bedroom upstairs?

As much as i wouldn't want a streaming device like the Nvidia Shield to be on WiFi, it should get a pretty strong connection with a good quality access point on the ceiling. Maybe it would even be possible to run a cable discreetly down a wall in some trunking from upstairs going behind a bookcase or something? to possibly provide some sort of wired connectivity downstairs.

Just a few random suggestions for you, its probably not going to be a straightforward job whatever you decide to do sadly.

I cant, the phone point in the hallway where it comes in has no mains plug, that's why it was moved in the first place. I'd like to get a cable but it would mean it either running along, the floor to the corner of the room, then up the full wall in trucking so it comes out in the cupboard upstairs, or run it up the middle of the wall from the top of the cabinet and have it cup out in the middle of the bedroom floor :( 

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

And this switch runs to where?  If that connects to your router via a wire your good to go..

Placement of unifi AP would for sure give you great coverage.. But to be honest you really want to run a wire. Since they are POE... While they can do wireless uplink, you still need to provide them power, etc.

the switch is between the first tv in the front bedroom, the desktop pc in a rear and the nearest mains plug for the powerline. I'm doing 3 way powerline, 1 next to the router, one in the garage and one upstairs.

I will have a look at the unifi AP.