• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How to Remove Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?

Alex Bach    0

So I eventually found this storage sucking service "Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry" running in my PC. I know how harmful and wasteful it is but, unfortunately, I don't know how to kill this process.

Can someone help me out? Please?

+Human.Online    8,294
16 minutes ago, Alex Bach said:

I know how harmful and wasteful it is

Please feel free to share this knowledge

• Like 2

adrynalyne    11,835

Harmful eh?

• Like 1

neufuse    3,674
35 minutes ago, Alex Bach said:

So I eventually found this storage sucking service "Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry" running in my PC. I know how harmful and wasteful it is but, unfortunately, I don't know how to kill this process.

Can someone help me out? Please?

storage sucking? please enlighten us, where is it storing all this wasted space at? I've been running windows 10 since it came out and nothings ever "sucked" storage space for telemetry logs that I've ever seen

neufuse    3,674
On 10/25/2018 at 2:21 AM, Alex Bach said:

Not exactly my words. I read this post first and couldn't come up with a solution. I just want more free space on my PC. 

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-safely-kill-the-Microsoft-Compatibility-Telemetry-process

that person doesn't have a clue....

I've been running windows 10 since it came out and the folder it stores data in for me is a whole 20MB of data in it (it's stored in c:\programdata\Microsoft\Diagnosis\)

goretsky    1,045

Hello,

The CompatTelRunner.exe file is a system audit tool that Microsoft uses to inventory your computer's hardware and software.  That information is anonymized by Microsoft so it contains no personally-identifiable information.  They use the collected information to get an idea of what they need to test for compatibility against, look for bugs in, etc.  It does not decrease your security, nor have I heard of any exploits or vulnerabilities around it.  It could end up performing a lot of disk I/O (reading far more than writing) which would probably be more noticeable on HDDs than SSDs. 

Unless it is actually causing some kind of problem, I would suggest leaving it alone.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2