Question about my '07 Grand Marquis

My car is wonderful. I have it serviced regularly and just bought 4 new tires.  I took it to my mechanic for usual oil change and checkup for everything and he recommended a fuel induction flush which was explained to me as a cleaning of sorts.  Also recommended was a spark plug replacement.  This is because I now have 100,000 miles and my book recommends these be done now.  Which one is the most important if I can only afford one at this time.  I drive about 8,000 miles a year.

The plugs are more important than fuel, however to keep your car running at top performance and fuel mileage you should consider doing the fuel system flush.  Any sediments that are in there which is stuck will get cleaned out.  The plugs are far more critical at this point than the fuel system, if they are heavily warn (and they should be at 100k miles), spark may not occur.  

To sum up or tldr;

plugs should be done now

fuel can be done later

the spark plugs are definitely more important; if one or more of those fail it can lead to other problems.

take my own experience for example:

I had 1 bad spark plug and 1 that was the wrong model (was that way when bought used from the dealer) since the 1 wasn't the right type for the car it started failing within a couple months. the bad spark plugs caused the shielding on my ignition coil to fail causing it to constantly spark all over my engine causing miss-fires ...

I only had the money to repair the ignition coil at the time so tried to hold off on the plugs and the coil blew again a month later so I had to get it all taken care of (luckily they covered the 2nd ignition coil under warranty)

edit: my car is a 2008 kia but I'm also around 150K miles so similar wear on the spark plugs I'm sure :)

The questions are many, are you seeing an issue in performance or fuel mileage?  Is the mechanic reading the info from the Gem modules(dealership) that would indicate a decrease in performance or just using a regular ODB style computer?  Do you run regular gas in it or mid grade?  I assume that your getting an oil change about 1 time a year with that low of mileage, how does the old oil look at the dip stick when going for a change, is it dark or still light?  I would have them change the fuel filter and buy a can of Seafoam and add it to your gas tank the next time you fill up and let it clean out any garbage.  The 4.6L your car has is a beast, the 07 Lincoln that I just parted with had about 285,000 on it we never changed the plugs just did the normal oil changes at 5-6000 miles....kid I sold it to still happy with it. 

Dealerships and mechanics will recommend fuel clean based on mileage not based on what computer reads.  It is a blanket statement kind of thing like plugs at 100k miles.  A fuel system flush is more preventative maintenance than fixing something that is broken.   Going over on your fuel system flush won't hurt things like going over on you plugs.

My dealership has mentioned it to me on several occasions and they constantly state “based on my mileage I should get the fuel system clean done as well as a AC “tune up” to keep things running at peak performance.”   I have a 2014 Toyota Camry hybrid with 111k miles on it.  I always bring it to the Toyota dealer for maintenance.  Plenty of electronics and sensors to go around (more than a 07 grand marque), yet they go with the “based on mileage” approach.  

The video linked below goes through the process.  This is not the same diluted by fuel stuff you put in your tank.  This is highly concentrated detergent that runs through your injectors.  (I worked for a parts store years ago and sold the 3m universal kit that works in a similar fashion as below as well as the in the tank stuff...in the tank gets highly diluted by the fuel you put in and makes in near useless unless you use it very often...the 3m universal adapter kit is very expensive 600-1400 on amazon which runs the $25 bottle of high concentrate cleaner).