Humane Mouse / Rat Traps

Wanted to see if anyone on here has had experience with mice or rats in their home. Somehow mice have made their way into my kitchen from the attic, which is going to be fun to find the point of entry. Anyways , I set up the classic spring board traps a few weeks ago with peanut butter as the bait and didn't catch anything. Monday even when I got home I saw a mouse in the kitchen and it scurried off into one of the bedrooms, this time not thinking I set a glue traps with peanut butter bait again. Came home last night and sure enough the mouse was caught. However I didn't realize those traps only hold not kill, so of course I've got a live mouse on there in distress. 

Anyways, wanted to see if anyone had luck with other options, I want something that will kill quickly. Those glue traps I don't want to use again . 

Get a cat - best mouse trap you can find. One that thinks and adapts to the situation. And the presence of the cat might encourage the mice to go elsewhere.

I've found one mouse in my house so far. It was dead in my basement. Chara, good kitty that she is, had dealt with the situation before I got there. All I had to do was scoop the little carcass into the trash.

11 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Get a cat - best mouse trap you can find. One that thinks and adapts to the situation. And the presence of the cat might encourage the mice to go elsewhere.

I've found one mouse in my house so far. It was dead in my basement. Chara, good kitty that she is, had dealt with the situation before I got there. All I had to do was scoop the little carcass into the trash.

That's the plan eventually, to get a cat. I'm about to move to a new place in 2 months so gonna wait till then 

A cat is a good deterrent but not great for my sinusitis, so instead I have a sonic repellent that emits a sound that mice and small creatures cannot stand, yet we can't hear it. It really works!

I had a mouse come in a few times through the kitchen (either side wall ventilation or next to the sink drain pipe, not sure) once I plugged it in under the oven and kitchen cabinets I never saw a mouse again :)

20181025_170511.jpg

Companies like rentokill will claim the sonic repellents don't work, but in my case it really does.

Another tip is to find the point of entry and patch it with steelwool, because they can't stand the stuff.

9 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

A cat is a good deterrent but not great for my sinusitis, so instead I have a sonic repellent that emits a sound that mice and small creatures cannot stand, yet we can't hear it. It really works!

I had a mouse come in a few times through the kitchen (either side wall ventilation or next to the sink drain pipe, not sure) once I plugged it in under the oven and kitchen cabinets I never saw a mouse again :)

Companies like rentokill will claim the sonic repellents don't work, but in my case it really does.

Another tip is to find the point of entry and patch it with steelwool, because they can't stand the stuff.

Those things can be hit/miss.  I have used them before, and sometimes they work, sometimes not.  But worth a try but think a cat would be the best bet.

My dad used glue box traps growing up.  When he caught a mouse, he took them out in the garage and stomped on the box.  I still remember hearing the squealing of the mice as they were crushed.   After they got a cat, they never had a use for any kind of traps again.  No bats, damn devil mice with wings, are a different story.

Also, dont use poison....especially if you have kids/other animals.  And poison sucks since you don't want them to die in the wall or someplace you cannot get to them and have the dead body stink up the house. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Every cat I owned, always ate their kill.  Your kitty must have already had a full meal.

41 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Every cat I owned, always ate their kill.  Your kitty must have already had a full meal.

She gets fed regularly, yes. And she's never eaten her catches. She did in one case bite the head off and then bat it around like a toy. That was a fun surprise when I got out of the shower ...

Chara will catch and kill mice, but leaves the cleanup for Daddy.

I've been looking at those black box traps, that just trap them inside. Some kill them and you dispose of the whole thing or some hold for catch and release. 

I just don't want the glue traps route again, the one I caught last night was still alive and trying to free itself. Checked later and it managed to get it's face stuck so it suffocated . 

17 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

I've been looking at those black box traps, that just trap them inside. Some kill them and you dispose of the whole thing or some hold for catch and release. 

I just don't want the glue traps route again, the one I caught last night was still alive and trying to free itself. Checked later and it managed to get it's face stuck so it suffocated . 

Which is actually how the glue trap is supposed to work. Not at all humane, really. I've read about mice chewing their legs off to get free of glue traps. Go with the box traps `til you can get a cat, and then let the kitty do his job.