Gonzaga warns about ‘potentially harmful’ cultural appropriation during Halloween

With Halloween weekend approaching, Gonzaga University has taken the opportunity to warn its students about “dangerous and damaging traditions” that rear its head at this time of year - like “cultural appropriation.”

The private Catholic school points to the holiday’s “Christian origins” but notes that it has devolved into “binge drinking, sexualized or culturally inappropriate costumes, and vandalism,” Judi Biggs Garbuio, the vice president for student development, and Athena Sok, student body president, wrote in a joint email obtained by Campus Reform.

“We urge our community to be aware of the potentially harmful impact insensitive behavior can have on fellow students, other members of the Gonzaga community…one of these behaviors is cultural appropriation – the act of taking or using things from a culture that is not your own, especially without showing respect of that culture.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gonzaga-warns-about-potentially-harmful-cultural-appropriation-during-halloween

This kind of thing cracks me up, an not in a good way.  In the past few years, everything has been turned in to an attack against a certain culture, belief, or race.   In this instance, these costumes have been around for decades and never a word that anyone was offended or upset about what people wore on Halloween.   Going to get to a point where everyone wears the same color clothes and everyone looks the same.  Anyone watch the movie Equilibrium?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, techbeck said:

In this instance, these costumes have been around for decades and never a word that anyone was offended or upset about what people wore on Halloween.  

However, this does not mean people were not offended. Timing is important, and given the issues in this country, this could be the best time to speak up.

1 minute ago, JHBrown said:

However, this does not make it any less offensive for some people. Timing is important, and given the issues in this country, this could be the best time to speak up.

True...but these kind of things are never handled evenly.   And as long as the costumes are tasteful, then I don't see a problem.   And really, a lot of people who dress up like the culture and want to support it.  They mean nothing negative by it buy those who are accused of appropriation, are accused of murder (exaggerating) and are made out to be a bad person.

18 minutes ago, techbeck said:

And as long as the costumes are tasteful, then I don't see a problem. 

I agree. This reminds me, a few years back during Halloween, I was in Arizona visiting Luke Air Force Base. I saw a white family (not on the Air Force Base) with costumes that I didn't find tasteful. The man was a Cowboy, the woman was an Indian, and their little girl was dressed in what I believe was a Pilgrim outfit. Now, Arizona has a healthy Native American population, and I'm sure some would take offense to that, and rightfully so. I just think people need to be more aware of what they're doing, and be a little empathetic to the history behind certain things.

Fortunately, we don't celebrate Halloween, so for our family, this would never be an issue.

The problem is that there are people that are offended by literally everything.  It's a shame that we growingly cave to those people and fall further into the rabbit hole.  At what point can we tell these people to quit being cry babies and just allow people to lawfully enjoy themselves?

17 hours ago, HoochieMamma said:

Equilibrium is an amazing film, but I foresee our future more like the movie Idiocracy.

Yea, I mentioned Idiocracy every now and then as well.    Think a President with the name Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho would be awesome.   Terry Cruz for Pres!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

The problem is that there are people that are offended by literally everything.  It's a shame that we growingly cave to those people and fall further into the rabbit hole.  At what point can we tell these people to quit being cry babies and just allow people to lawfully enjoy themselves?

I'm offended by that statement!  😁

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I’m offended that you found that offensive. 

You want to know whats really freaking offensive. During lunch today I saw a grown woman put ketchup on sushi. No joke. That is offensive.  

1 minute ago, Xenon said:

You want to know whats really freaking offensive. During lunch today I saw a grown woman put ketchup on sushi. No joke. That is offensive. 

Grounds for treason.  Get her in front of a firing squad.

23 hours ago, techbeck said:

The private Catholic school points to the holiday’s “Christian origins” but notes that it has devolved into “binge drinking, sexualized or culturally inappropriate costumes, and vandalism,” Judi Biggs Garbuio, the vice president for student development, and Athena Sok, student body president, wrote in a joint email obtained by Campus Reform.

Wikipedia - "It is widely believed that many Halloween traditions originated from ancient Celtic harvest festivals, particularly the Gaelic festival Samhain; that such festivals may have had pagan roots; and that Samhain itself was Christianized as Halloween by the early Church." 

So.. no not a Christian Holliday, but one of the Hollidays that the Church created to take over / displace / transform the pagan one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

i'm offended by Gonzaga University and the term "cultural appropriation." Give me attention now.

xdownload.gif

8 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Grounds for treason.  Get her in front of a firing squad.

I think it is the 2nd time in my life I have seen that. YUK. 

ok, so now I can't dress up as a cowboy, indian, woman, princess, prince, alien, robber, anything that has a cultural connotation (Japanese Gesia, kimono, seik, turban, etc etc), a monkey (because it might offend someone), oh the list goes on and on

what CAN you dress up as now and not offend someone?.,...

I always saw this dress up as someone wanting to be someone else, not to somehow villianize it... heck you can't even dress up as a coal miner now because coal dust might be mistaken as "black face"........

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Xenon said:

LOL. Wait, seriously?

7 minutes ago, neufuse said:

ok, so now I can't dress up as a cowboy, indian, woman, princess, prince, alien, robber, anything that has a cultural connotation (Japanese Gesia, kimono, seik, turban, etc etc), a monkey (because it might offend someone), oh the list goes on and on

what CAN you dress up as now and not offend someone?.,...

I always saw this dress up as someone wanting to be someone else, not to somehow villianize it... heck you can't even dress up as a coal miner now because coal dust might be mistaken as "black face"........

I’m so glad that I’ve no f’s to give when it comes to political correctness. I’ve wotked with native Americans. My cousin is 50% Navajo. Only the clearest(not whitest, unless we offend) of snowflakes care about an Indian Halloween costume. 

38 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

LOL. Wait, seriously?

I’m so glad that I’ve no f’s to give when it comes to political correctness. I’ve wotked with native Americans. My cousin is 50% Navajo. Only the clearest(not whitest, unless we offend) of snowflakes care about an Indian Halloween costume. 

the dumbest thing I've heard yet about all this "offensive" stuff was in the UK with Jamie Oliver being told he's offending people by producing a Jerk chicken and selling it in the markets... I mean seriously this is getting ridiculous... somehow that offended Jamaicans....

19 minutes ago, neufuse said:

the dumbest thing I've heard yet about all this "offensive" stuff was in the UK with Jamie Oliver being told he's offending people by producing a Jerk chicken and selling it in the markets... I mean seriously this is getting ridiculous... somehow that offended Jamaicans....

Insanity. 

Republicans want the nation to be frightened, panicked and looking for someone to protect them. It is how they move legislation as well as get money in the collection plates at Liberty U.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Jazmac said:

Republicans want the nation to be frightened, panicked and looking for someone to protect them. It is how they move legislation as well as get money in the collection plates at Liberty U.

come again?