• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

From Windows to Linux.

Riva    976

Hello I have been toying with the idea of using Linux after been a Windows "fanatic" from 3.1 up to 10. After a lot of failed attempts on my physical PC and a lot of playing around in VMs I have finally made the switch to Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon. Installation this time around was a lot smoother with everything working out of the box. Getting some games working with Wine and Lutris seemed a bit of a mess but it worked! My next step is getting a hypervisor worthy of hyper-v and I am all set. I do use VirtualBox to run a Windows 10 instance which I dont even use to be fair.

Things that ###### me off with Windows 10 specifically;

• Constant collection of personal and private data into the cloud; from typing and handwriting to app and site visits.
  • Bad Q&A on semi-annual updates
  • Constant releases of drivers
  • Licensing with Windows 10 and Office
  • High memory usage when idle
  • Constant fear of trojans, bad websites and rogue ads

As an added bonus, the PC now really does boot up automatically at 8am. This wasnt working with Windows 10 and I assumed it was an EFI issue but it does work under Linux. It could really be an issue with secureboot in the firmware.

• Like 2

cork1958    1,441

Congratulations and good luck! :)

Have made the move to Linux a while back for most of the same reasons, plus a few others, as you mentioned.

In the process of switching from Lubuntu 18 to Mint 19. Lubuntu worked great but Mint has a few other tools and stuff out of the box that I like and runs just as well.

Mindovermaster    1,524

Welcome, mate!

I moved to Linux after I saw Windows 8. I was like, what, F you...

Another big thing was the Windows automatic updates...

I think I started with Debian Squeeze... Mint is an easy transition. :)

+fusi0n    1,825

Welcome to the Darkside..

I used Linux for the last 20 years or so but only "full time" for a couple of years here and there. However, I just had enough of Windows 10, especially with the telemetry. I know you can disable and whatnot, but you shouldn't have too. I don't like what MSFT has been doing for the last few years. I use linux a lot of dev and pentesting, so I just made the switch full time (on my "main" pc). I still have Windows on it for Games, but Steam's proton works great.  

Now that a lot of coding has become largly universal, you can find a lot of apps out there compared even 4-5 years ago. Tons of free opensource stuff for alternatives, and if one doesn't have a feature you like, get clone and make a branch and add the feature ;)

One great thing is https://www.opendesktop.org.. Check that out :D

With that said, I think MSFT is a horrible company nowadays and put corporate interest over consumers/ 

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything. 

adrynalyne    9,852
3 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

Welcome to the Darkside..

I used Linux for the last 20 years or so but only "full time" for a couple of years here and there. However, I just had enough of Windows 10, especially with the telemetry. I know you can disable and whatnot, but you shouldn't have too. I don't like what MSFT has been doing for the last few years. I use linux a lot of dev and pentesting, so I just made the switch full time (on my "main" pc). I still have Windows on it for Games, but Steam's proton works great.  

Now that a lot of coding has become largly universal, you can find a lot of apps out there compared even 4-5 years ago. Tons of free opensource stuff for alternatives, and if one doesn't have a feature you like, get clone and make a branch and add the feature ;)

One great thing is https://www.opendesktop.org.. Check that out :D

With that said, I think MSFT is a horrible company nowadays and put corporate interest over consumers/ 

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything. 

Same situation. Been using Linux and BSDs for just as long but only recently started pushing a full time laptop and desktop with it. My workstation at work is still Windows 10(Enterprise 1809 lol). 

Manjaro is my latest poison. I like Arch, but Manjaro makes it that much nicer and more stable.