Buy a 1050Ti now? Or wait for GTX 2050?

1 minute ago, dydx123 said:

Nah.. it's a mini-tower that's why there's 320W but yeah upgrading that PSU will have me getting a new PC so yeah here's crossing to GTX 2050 to be power-efficient just like 1050s :)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 2050 would be more power hungry than the 1050...

2 minutes ago, dydx123 said:

Nah.. it's a mini-tower that's why there's 320W but yeah upgrading that PSU will have me getting a new PC so yeah here's crossing to GTX 2050 to be power-efficient just like 1050s :)

It's a mini tower so most sizes can fit in there :)

Looks like a SFF (small form factor) to me.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03345460

8 minutes ago, dydx123 said:

It's a mini tower so most sizes can fit in there :)

ahhh....I see.  Leave it to HP (and I'm sure other OEMs) to give a product a number ... but with various form factors.  I see the 8300 comes in Minitower, Microtower, SFF and Ultra-slim desktop.  LOL

OK, I would just get the 1050ti .... unless you can wait for unknown months before the 2050 is announced.  1050ti would be a nice upgrade from the 750ti.

Just now, Jim K said:

ahhh....I see.  Leave it to HP (and I'm sure other OEMs) give a product a number ... but with various form factors.  I see the 8300 comes in Minitower, Microtower, SFF and Ultra-slim desktop.  LOL

OK, I would just get the 1050ti .... unless you can wait for unknown months before the 2050 is announced.

Alright then guys! Thanks so much!! I think I can wait until July 2019 'cause if 2050 is power hungry then i can go with a 1050 (and hopefully its price will drop by then as well)

Just now, dydx123 said:

Really? How much power-hungry do you think it'd be as compared to 1050?

And scroll down that URL and you'll see Minitower specs as well :)

Well, being we do not know the specs of the 2050 yet, I can't say.

If I were you, I would start looking for a new computer, dude...

There are Dell and HP brands that come with a 1050 or above. I'd look into that than risk losing your PSU you can't replace.

2 minutes ago, dydx123 said:

Alright then guys! Thanks so much!! I think I can wait until July 2019 'cause if 2050 is power hungry then i can go with a 1050 (and hopefully its price will drop by then as well)

oh yea, if you can wait that long ... then wait.  By July of next year ... 1050ti will almost be three years old (Oct 2016).  If possible ... could also save up some more cash if you need/want to replace your current PC.

46 minutes ago, dydx123 said:

You are creating restrictions and scenarios that are borderline Twilight Zone.

If you can wait until July 2019, then the $220 limit could be changed by saving a few bucks per month or taking on extra temp work for a week etc.

That is a long enough time period to seek out any old computer case somebody on your street discards on garbage day, canvas your friends and family for an old tower case, order something insanely cheap from China, mount everything on a slab of plywood, just mount the PSU on plywood and run cables inside since quality PSU will have long cables or take a hack saw to your current case to permit a full sized PSU.

Use the power of the hack, Luke!

If your only objective is to improve the Odyssey experience, then use my ideas to FIX YOUR PSU RESTRICTION and get a 1060 or 1070 since you will need none of the 2xxx improvements.

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

You are creating restrictions and scenarios that are borderline Twilight Zone.

If you can wait until July 2019, then the $220 limit could be changed by saving a few bucks per month or taking on extra temp work for a week etc.

That is a long enough time period to seek out any old computer case somebody on your street discards on garbage day, canvas your friends and family for an old tower case, order something insanely cheap from China, mount everything on a slab of plywood, just mount the PSU on plywood and run cables inside since quality PSU will have long cables or take a hack saw to your current case to permit a full sized PSU.

Use the power of the hack, Luke!

If your only objective is to improve the Odyssey experience, then use my ideas to FIX YOUR PSU RESTRICTION and get a 1060 or 1070 since you will need none of the 2xxx improvements.

Hahah love it :D

But.. the connection on mobo with the PSU is also non-standard.. so would need to get a new mobo as well :/ 

10 minutes ago, dydx123 said:

But.. the connection on mobo with the PSU is also non-standard.. so would need to get a new mobo as well :/ 

Welcome to the computer building ride. Please fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride. 🎢

4 hours ago, dydx123 said:

There is a lot of useful info that people have added in the comments below the video (a surprise over the usual youtube comments by raging zombies from another dimension)

It's an easy project that appears fun in a good hack way and a quality PSU would translate well into any future upgrades...

You have a decent amount of RAM and a great CPU so upgrading now seems like a good idea to me and saving money up for a scheduled full change over to when your gaming needs develop an itch for a 2080...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3570+%40+3.40GHz&id=827

P.S. if you do this, don't buy a lower quality PSU just because it fits easier. Hack and Slash with the hack saw at will (or Dremel Tool etc) as needed to shoehorn in a good PSU.

P.P.S. if you actually need to do metal work either remove all the electronics and move them far away or else run a vacuum cleaner while cutting after duct taping plastic over the guts of your 8300.

• Like 2

Hello,

You should definitely wait until March 2019, and then purchase whatever video card is in your budget at that time which is compatible with your computer system.

Here is a single-slot GTX 1050 Ti which does not require supplemental power:  http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=297

The GTX 1060 uses a 6-pin supplemental power connector, according to its specs, so the 1050 Ti (or whatever is available in March 2019) is going to be your best bet using the existing power supply.

If you want to upgrade the power supply, it seems like PSU adapters are readily available to convert it to the HP's proprietary connectors via eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ATX+24pin+to+Motherboard+2-port+6pin+Adapter+Power+Supply+Cable+Cord+for+HP.  At that point, it then becomes more a matter of what fits inside your case, as well as your budget.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky