Linux Sucks. Forever. - Filmed live at Linux Fest NW - April 28, 2018

Nice post. I agree that this might be a click bait title, but it depends on the attitude of the user. For me, Linux doesn't suck at all. I've used some form of desktop Linux since RedHat 7 and to me, it's been awesome ever since. Is it Windows? No. Is it OSX? No. Does it act like any other OS? No. But it works for me and that is all that I need.  Do other operating systems have issues from time to time? Yes they do. No system is perfect. The Linux experience is all about user satisfaction, and if the user enjoys working with it, then who are others to demonize it? I have always said that the world of computers is like a very large tree. Enjoy the many branches of the computer tree, no matter which branch works for the user. ❤️

• Like 2

Great Video! Thanks!

I would still love to see MS do what Apple did in dropping their old kernel and picking up an open source one to make their own. Worked well for Apple in taking BSD. I wonder which MS would pick if they were to attempt it. Would be great to watch.

A lot has developed since that video. Is any OS perfect? No. IMHO, it's better than Windows 10 right now...

2 hours ago, margrave said:

Great Video! Thanks!

I would still love to see MS do what Apple did in dropping their old kernel and picking up an open source one to make their own. Worked well for Apple in taking BSD. I wonder which MS would pick if they were to attempt it. Would be great to watch.

Yeah but what in macOS works so well for them? Windows performs fine and is quite flexible.  The bugs and issues we see today aren’t because of the kernel or the what the OS is built upon. Aside from developers I’ve worked with, I literally have never heard of anyone talk about the merits of the Mach kernel and BSD underpinnings and how it affects their experience. 

The enjoyable  Apple experience comes from their integrations, well-designed, consistent UI and enjoyable UX, all of which revolve around all of the closed source aspects of macOS that don’t deal with BSD or the kernel. Strip all of that away and give someone Darwin to run, and suddenly, the story changes completely. 

TL;DR

Switching OS bases isn’t going to help Windows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

A lot has developed since that video. Is any OS perfect? No. IMHO, it's better than Windows 10 right now...

What do you mean? That’s not the subject of the video. 

36 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

What do you mean? That’s not the subject of the video. 

It's a little continuancy from Barney.

Any "Linux sucks" video is totally biased. Not everyone likes it, but not everyone hates it.

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

It's a little continuancy from Barney.

Any "Linux sucks" video is totally biased. Not everyone likes it, but not everyone hates it.

You should watch the video. It has nothing to do with what you are saying.

Its not even an anti-Linux video. 

• Like 1

Nice post, I watched few of these videos in the past and they are always entertaining with a great presentation concept, imho. Depicting real problems in Linux world, be it self inflicted or not, through humor. I believe one part of the presentation is currently being addressed as the big Kernel code clean-up is under way, removing depreciated architectures and hardware.

The most striking part, for me is the need to use Windows to develop for Linux with Microsoft tools. While this might not mean anything, he did speak extensively how this approach could lead to old Microsoft "EEE" strategy. I hope Microsoft will extend some of their coding software to work directly under Linux at one point.

I'm sorry. Linux will suck until they can develop a unified window manager that supports 4k out of the box that isn't overly simplified.

I prefer CentOS which of course is only on version 7, omg my 3k monitor sucks on it. Sure I Could scale the display to 1080 but it is too fuzzy. Increasing the dpi for fonts sucks too because not all applications would utilize it.

As a follow-up, I saw the video and understand that it is a great video defending Linux, open source and other things. Very informative. I was addressing the title as an attention grabber. My post was simply an observation of my thoughts toward Linux, not the video.

30 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

As a follow-up, I saw the video and understand that it is a great video defending Linux, ope source and other things. Very informative. I was addressing the title as an attention grabber. My post was simply an observation of my thoughts toward Linux, not the video.

same...

44 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

I'm sorry. Linux will suck until they can develop a unified window manager that supports 4k out of the box that isn't overly simplified.

I prefer CentOS which of course is only on version 7, omg my 3k monitor sucks on it. Sure I Could scale the display to 1080 but it is too fuzzy. Increasing the dpi for fonts sucks too because not all applications would utilize it.

Yet another person who didn’t watch the video. 

Yeah, alot has developed since 7 months ago...yeesh.

I wish my job was "delivering transformative, engaging technologies that will revolutionize the way we adapt container to cloud workflows in b3b environments to drive industry engagement, and evolution of innersourcing best practices, combined with continuous integration of dev ops to enable incentivization of community." 

That job sounds great.

1 minute ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

I did watch the video genius. I have used various distress, they still have ###### 3/4k monitor support.

No you didn't, else you wouldn't be discussing what is irrelevant to the topic. You read the title and went off. Its ok, you aren't the only one who did it.

Also, zero trouble with 4k On Linux here. Guess I am the only special one out there.

50 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Also, zero trouble with 4k On Linux here. Guess I am the only special one out there.

It could of been that they didn't have such great support the last time he used it.

And being that Barney, Speedy, and me saw the video, makes me think you don't look any better... 🤔

Be as it may, there's always going to be problems until we die. So live with it.

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

It could of been that they didn't have such great support the last time he used it.

And being that Barney, Speedy, and me saw the video, makes me think you don't look any better... 🤔

Be as it may, there's always going to be problems until we die. So live with it.

Dude you didn’t watch the video once and you know it. You may have now but that’s besides the point. Anyone who read your comments in this thread knows you didn’t watch the video initially. If you had watched the video, you wouldn’t have said:

Any "Linux sucks" video is totally biased. 

I wasnt 100% sure until you said it and I’m not the only person who noticed. 

10 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Dude you didn’t watch the video once and you know it. You may have now but that’s besides the point. Anyone who read your comments in this thread knows you didn’t watch the video initially. If you had watched the video, you wouldn’t have said:

I wasnt 100% sure until you said it and I’m not the only person who noticed. 

Umm, yea I did big boy. I was talking about the 100+ people who hate linux, not the guy talking...

Gaming, online office stuff, video editing, etc.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Umm, yea I did big boy. I was talking about the 100+ people who hate linux, not the guy talking...

Gaming, online office stuff, video editing, etc.

The only Linux sucks video in the entire comment section but it wasn’t the one you were talking about? 🤣

Just now, adrynalyne said:

The only Linux sucks video in the entire comment section but it wasn’t the one you were talking about? 🤣

How many did you see? I saw at least 3 others over the years. This a continuing talk.

6 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

How many did you see? I saw at least 3 others over the years. This a continuing talk.

Hmm, yet one comment section and one posted video. Sounds like you went down a rabbit hole and forgot the plot. 

I like Linux. Specifically I like the Mint distro. It might be pedestrian but it works for me. If Linux had the hardware support and the apps I use, I would seriously consider it for mostly everyday use.

10 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Yeah but what in macOS works so well for them?

Sales. I remember Apple stating that they had more liquid assets then the federal government. Ever since then it's like MS has lost its mind trying to catch up.

I also don't remember seeing any spying concerns from MAC users like has been around Win10 since launch. And their whole excuse of "well everyone else is doing it too" is laughable. That's still unacceptable. Since 'everyone' else is violating users privacy, it doesn't make it alright for anyone to do it. It should still be seen as wrong.

And this whole one kernel for all devices is foolish. The same engine that powers a tractor won't work in a space shuttle.