Linux Sucks. Forever. - Filmed live at Linux Fest NW - April 28, 2018

3 minutes ago, margrave said:

Sales. I remember Apple stating that they had more liquid assets then the federal government. Ever since then it's like MS has lost its mind trying to catch up.

I also don't remember seeing any spying concerns from MAC users like has been around Win10 since launch. And their whole excuse of "well everyone else is doing it too" is laughable. That's still unacceptable. Since 'everyone' else is violating users privacy, it doesn't make it alright for anyone to do it. It should still be seen as wrong.

And this whole one kernel for all devices is foolish. The same engine that powers a tractor won't work in a space shuttle.

Yeah I get that it saves Apple money, but that’s where the advantages stop for them. I was referring to users though. For an established OS, there isn’t really any reason to go that route. What really sells macOS isn’t it’s kernel or BSD underpinnings. 

Linux has always been a corporate tool. Nothing more and nothing less. They're just pushing  out the sweaty neckbeards that can generate bad PR.

2 hours ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

Linux has always been a corporate tool. Nothing more and nothing less. They're just pushing  out the sweaty neckbeards that can generate bad PR.

That doesn’t even make sense,  considering where it’s roots began. 

18 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Yeah I get that it saves Apple money, but that’s where the advantages stop for them. I was referring to users though. For an established OS, there isn’t really any reason to go that route. What really sells macOS isn’t it’s kernel or BSD underpinnings. 

What helps sell it is that fact that it doesn't dramatically change the experience for its users, and it stays pretty. The locked down walled garden gives users a feeling of security even if it is a false one now. That boat has long sailed for Windows. They've changed so much so often that it's become tiring having to learn how to use my own computer each upgrade.

Adopting a similar kernel we might be able to enter into a whole new generation of compatibility. Who knows what amazing advances may be achieved in that digital world. Something that will just never be possible thanks to the greed of humanity.  Just sad. Maybe the system would boot faster too without having to lie about being finished loading by presenting the desktop to the user all the while the system is still loading/booting in the background slowing everything down.

3 hours ago, margrave said:

What helps sell it is that fact that it doesn't dramatically change the experience for its users, and it stays pretty. The locked down walled garden gives users a feeling of security even if it is a false one now. That boat has long sailed for Windows. They've changed so much so often that it's become tiring having to learn how to use my own computer each upgrade.

Adopting a similar kernel we might be able to enter into a whole new generation of compatibility. Who knows what amazing advances may be achieved in that digital world. Something that will just never be possible thanks to the greed of humanity.  Just sad. Maybe the system would boot faster too without having to lie about being finished loading by presenting the desktop to the user all the while the system is still loading/booting in the background slowing everything down.

I don’t see how adopting a new kernel is going to accomplish that. 

4 minutes ago, Riva said:

Linux does have a problem with hardware. Most people are just happy with "it has a driver and does the job". However no sound card has additional FX processing on linux. Take my realtek sound card for example, i get a bunch of additional features under windows but the sound is "flat" under linux with nothing to improve it

That’s not a problem with hardware. That’s a driver issue through and through. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

That’s not a problem with hardware. That’s a driver issue through and through. 

I think he meant the driver that runs the hardware. But yeah, driver is messed up.

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Care to explain?

Sure. A driver is software that interacts with hardware and hardware isn’t drivers. 🤣

The issue is between the OS and driver. Not hardware at all. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Sure. A driver is software that interacts with hardware for and hardware isn’t drivers. 🤣

I don't think he ever said that hardware runs software... :huh:

1 minute ago, Riva said:

You just love to argue semantics. Either way the poor drivers dont allow linux to take full advantage of hardware capabilities. So when i could spend $150 on a cool gaming card with tons of features under windows, the card is going to be pointless under linux and a complete waste of money.

Semantics implies that hardware and drivers are the same thing. They are not. Period. 

Just now, Riva said:

You just love to argue semantics. Either way the poor drivers dont allow linux to take full advantage of hardware capabilities. So when i could spend $150 on a cool gaming card with tons of features under windows, the card is going to be pointless under linux and a complete waste of money.

Linux has progressed in the last few years. Is it as perfect as Windows? No, but it shines in other areas.

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

So WTH are you complaining about?

I am not complaining; I am correcting what was said. Why are you commenting if you cannot follow along?

Just now, Riva said:

If i dont have a linux driver for the ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus then linux has a problem with hardware because additional features are not accessible

Nope. You have a driver issue.