• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Windows 10 Enterprise vs Pro Workstation

altjones    0

I read somewhere that Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro for Workstations have the same features...

Is this true?

Another question I have is when I upgrade from the Enterprise edition to Pro for Workstations using a key how do I know the new features are there?

I ask because once you enter a key, it takes all of 2 seconds for your edition to become Pro for Workstations. You would think it would need to install new features.

How can you test the Pro for Workstation features? Testing using ReFS does not help as both editions support it.

Thanks.

altjones    0

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

Page does not show Pro for Workstations.

Also I understand the differences between Pro and Pro for Workstations...

Would like to see documentation on the differences between Enterprise and Pro for Workstations.

You say licensing is different, can you provide some info on that.

I wonder that myself, but our KMS activated Pro for Workstation without issue.

adrynalyne    9,905
2 hours ago, altjones said:

Page does not show Pro for Workstations.

Also I understand the differences between Pro and Pro for Workstations...

Would like to see documentation on the differences between Enterprise and Pro for Workstations.

You say licensing is different, can you provide some info on that.

I wonder that myself, but our KMS activated Pro for Workstation without issue.

If you know the difference between Pro and Pro for Workstations, and then understand the difference from Pro and Enterprise, you have summed it up. I can tell you, Enterprise and Pro for Workstations do not have the same features. Education and Enterprise do.

Licensing is the same with Pro and Pro for Workstations (of course Pro for Workstations is more expensive). It only differs upon moving to Enterprise.

Most people won't need what Pro for Workstations adds to Pro. I run it because I can (MSDN heh). Thats the only reason.

altjones    0

We need it.

We just received the Dell Precision 5530's with Xeon processors. They are pre-loaded with Pro for Workstations.

I really don't want to create a new image when...

A. I can just use Enterprise or...

B. I can just change the key to Pro for Workstations.

What I want to see is something from MS that shows the difference from Enterprise and Pro for Workstations. So far all comparisons are for Pro and Pro for Workstations.

I assume there is a benefit to Pro for Workstations if Dell has pre-loaded it on these systems.

Also like I stated above I feel like entering the Pro for WS key does not add the missing features as it takes 2 seconds to switch editions. That is why when the edition is switched I would like to test a feature that would only be on Pro for WS.

adrynalyne    9,905
6 minutes ago, altjones said:

We need it.

We just received the Dell Precision 5530's with Xeon processors. They are pre-loaded with Pro for Workstations.

I really don't want to create a new image when...

A. I can just use Enterprise or...

B. I can just change the key to Pro for Workstations.

What I want to see is something from MS that shows the difference from Enterprise and Pro for Workstations. So far all comparisons are for Pro and Pro for Workstations.

I assume there is a benefit to Pro for Workstations if Dell has pre-loaded it on these systems.

Also like I stated above I feel like entering the Pro for WS key does not add the missing features as it takes 2 seconds to switch editions. That is why when the edition is switched I would like to test a feature that would only be on Pro for WS.

Well again, if you know the differences between Pro and Enterprise, just add the extra features to Pro and you have an accurate picture. Unless those Dells support more than two CPUs or more than 2TB of ram, I can’t imagine why they included it, unless someone specifically ordered it that way. Does your company have use for ReFS perhaps?

altjones    0

I think I answered my  "can I use Enterprise"

According to MS Xeon's are supported on Pro for WS and Enterprise:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

Intel Xeon processors are supported on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Windows 10 Enterprise only

One question down, one more to go... is there any other benefits to going Pro for WS vs Enterprise. 

9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Well again, if you know the differences between Pro and Enterprise, just add the extra features to Pro and you have an accurate picture. Unless those Dells support more than two CPUs or more than 2TB of ram, I can’t imagine why they included it, unless someone specifically ordered it that way. Does your company have use for ReFS perhaps?

MS forces Pro for WS on Xeon processors... this is why they bundled it. Given we have Enterprise I can image with it and still have compatibly with the Xeons.

adrynalyne    9,905
9 minutes ago, altjones said:

I think I answered my  "can I use Enterprise"

According to MS Xeon's are supported on Pro for WS and Enterprise:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

Intel Xeon processors are supported on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Windows 10 Enterprise only

One question down, one more to go... is there any other benefits to going Pro for WS vs Enterprise. 

MS forces Pro for WS on Xeon processors... this is why they bundled it. Given we have Enterprise I can image with it and still have compatibly with the Xeons.

Good to know. I would say no, unless you need more than 2TB ram or quad CPUs, I would just put Enterprise on it. 

Daniel204    0

Through my opinion  If you are a home user then windows 10 pro is best suited for you. If you are an enterprise user then windows 10 enterprise is best suited. As Microsoft has added some security features with enterprise edition such as device guard and credential guard. Device guard protects you from unwanted or malicious applications whereas credential guard protects your credentials from being hacked, it protects from the famous pass the hash attack.