• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Discharge the CRT TV, can I use a chicken stick?

Izlude    92

Hi folks!  I've been asking the web my questions, haven't really gotten any answers, so maybe NEO folk know. I found a 40" CRT Mitsubishi TV.   The power cord was cut by a city worker (they do this to all electronics/appliances left out) so I don't know if it works.  I opened the back and noticed the power cord is not soldered, just a basic clip, which should make for easy replacement.  Now for my QUESTIONS:

1-  Do I need to discharge it before unclipping the power wire? It's pretty close to the flyback transformer... so I'm a lil paranoid about using my needle nose to try to grab/pull it out.

2- If it works, I WILL need to discharge it to perform an RGB mod on it. I'm not afraid of anything under 27",  but this thing is MASSIVE!!!!!  I don't think the basic screw driver/ground wire trick is gonna cut it.  Can I instead use electrical tape to attach the screw driver to a LONG PVC PIPE and discharge from a distance while standing on a wooden chair?

This person made a chicken stick.  PVC pipe and taped a screw driver to it.  Can I safely do this? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aviw0XAlnmw

+DevTech    1,310
2 minutes ago, Izlude said:

Hi folks!  I've been asking the web my questions, haven't really gotten any answers, so maybe NEO folk know. I found a 40" CRT Mitsubishi TV.   The power cord was cut by a city worker (they do this to all electronics/appliances left out) so I don't know if it works.  I opened the back and noticed the power cord is not soldered, just a basic clip, which should make for easy replacement.  Now for my QUESTIONS:

1-  Do I need to discharge it before unclipping the power wire? It's pretty close to the flyback transformer... so I'm a lil paranoid about using my needle nose to try to grab/pull it out.

2- If it works, I WILL need to discharge it to perform an RGB mod on it. I'm not afraid of anything under 27",  but this thing is MASSIVE!!!!!  I don't think the basic screw driver/ground wire trick is gonna cut it.  Can I instead use electrical tape to attach the screw driver to a LONG PVC PIPE and discharge from a distance while standing on a wooden chair?

This person made a chicken stick.  PVC pipe and taped a screw driver to it.  Can I safely do this? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aviw0XAlnmw

If it has not been powered up for a while, there is a normal leakage that will leave it totally inert.

If they could retain power over the period of time represented here, cities everywhere would be snapping them up for power banks instead of Tesla Batteries!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/1/16723186/elon-musk-battery-launched-south-australia

813127893_worldslargestlithium-ionbattery2.thumb.jpg.18aec5710e404969bebdecf6e37c1a5c.jpg

But either way, it doesn't seem worth the bother. Unless you found a Sony F series monitor...

• Like 2

+DevTech    1,310

16 minutes ago, Izlude said:

1. For testing, you could just strip the ends of the existing "stub" and twist on a new wire with tape.

1. B) or use rubber gloves

2. Of course, once you power it up if the flyback is not busted, you have a real issue to deal with.

A 12 foot pipe, standing on a chair, and of course Sharks With Lasers would make a great Youtube.

Otherwise, wear rubber gloves, rubber soled footwear, and standard set of "insulated screwdrivers" designed for that sort of work. I actually still have a few of those in my toolbox from long ago and far away....

• Haha 1

Izlude    92

Here's some pics of the back side.  It's a monster, must weigh a few hundred.  https://imgur.com/a/0yoDIJ4

Also I noticed it has YCbCr and YByRy instead of YPbPr.  I wonder how that affects input lag, maybe I can't do duck hunt on it?  Or if I do RGB mod it, will it bypass the processing and let duck hunt work?  It's a bubble tube btw...

Izlude    92
6 minutes ago, DevTech said:

A 12 foot pipe, standing on a chair, and of course Sharks With Lasers would make a great Youtube.

Well I do have some PVC in the back yard, i think it was for the old gardening system they had here at one point.  I also have a very large and uncut green screen.  I could do something with it :P but again, I just need the "Green Light"  or someone to assure me some more xD

As for the nub,.. I dont think I can carve it away :( too far gone.