• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

£30 to Spend in Steam. What to Buy from Someone who Doesn't Play Games Often?

Sir Topham Hatt    240

So I have a £30 Steam voucher but I am completely out of touch with games.

Here's some info:

I rarely buy games as I just don't have time to play them that often.

My current Steam list comprises of:

Hell Yeah! (don't know what this is!)

Jet Set Radio (don't know what this is!)

Planet Coaster (110 hours)

Saints Row 2 (don't know what this is!)

Sega Classics (for Golden Axe - was free!)

Star Control: Origins (via a free code, never played, don't know what it's about)

Strange Brigade  (via a free code, never played, don't know what it's about)

Team Fortress 2 (280 hours)

Train Simulator (57 hours)

I'm not really an action sort of person, but perhaps I'm not really "used" to those games.  However, I wasted months... literally months playing Medal of Honour Allied Assault online.  This was before Steam... it was that green client :S

So I guess I'm asking for a recommendation of what to buy.

I wouldn't mind something a bit more "army" shooting - although I am unlikely to play it solo.

I really like Traffic Giant and other "building" games (Beach Life, Sim City, Zoo Tycoon) but most I already have, or like Team Fortress 2, have fallen out of love with it in the past few years.  Really enjoyed Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge and Generals but I never really played the missions; just skirmish all the time.

The only thing I can think of is the packs from Planet Coaster but I don't want to waste the voucher if there's something else to buy?  I hate DLC, hence haven't bought them as yet.

Thinking perhaps I should wait for any deals coming up over Christmas.

Anything else I should look at?

Jim K    11,300

How about a flight simulator (FSX)... or that Euro Trucking game (sorry, don't really know the prices..just throwing a random idea). Seems like you like some simulators?

Sir Topham Hatt    240
17 hours ago, exotoxic said:

Thought about this but played a bit of a demo of it and couldn't get on with it very well. 

Are there any popular shooting games? Half Life 2 style? 

Steven P.    11,536
16 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Are there any popular shooting games? Half Life 2 style? 

I have been playing some Quake 3 Arena lately and am considering spending €10 to get the "enhanced" version of it, with proper matchmaking and team deathmatches 😛

It is called Quake Live and if you are a fan of first person shooters, I highly recommend it.

The problem with the standalone Quake 3 Arena is there are too many servers with different mods (that I don't have), or most servers are just full of bots. It is guesswork if you can connect to a server that supports your version and has actual people playing 😛 

BTW Quake Live used to be free but they started charging a year or two ago to support the costs for the server setup for it.