SSD question

Just glancing at some reviews over the year and they seem pretty good for a budget drive.  I've never used them personally. 

Though, if you're trying to buy one today, I would go the extra 10-20 bucks and get a same/near capacity Samsung Evo.  For example...on NewEgg they have the Silicon Power A55 512GB for $65 and a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB for $73  (these prices are current sales).

Silicon are a budget company. Yes, they can be good, but I'd put more money on a more repetitive brand that will last a little longer. As Samsung, Crucial, or WD.

Or like Jim said...

I've always been tempted by budget SSD drives.  There certainly are a lot of low-priced options out there.

But I agree with the other comments... I'd rather pay a little extra to get a drive from one of the bigger companies.

All SSD prices have fallen dramatically in recent years.  The bigger brands' prices are within spitting distance of the budget brands nowadays.  Personally, I don't think it's worth it to save a few bucks on a budget drive.

I currently use a mix of Samsung, Crucial, and Sandisk SSDs in my systems... and a couple Samsung T5 external SSDs.  

Edited by Michael Scrip

I bought a couple of budget SSDs and i was not really please with some of them. They worked well most of the time but i don't know why two of them (Team Group and Adata) had trouble while writing a bunch of small files.

I like Crucial MX SSD. Almost as cheap as the cheap brands and working very well. I have 3 of them and they all work perfectly for my work.

SSD pricing is falling immensely, and we are in the Black Friday time period so i will be probably purchasing some larger Samsung evo ssd's for pretty cheap. I think I saw Samsung evo 970 500gb for $134+ AUD. That's really good in my opinion. I would defiantly spend the extra for better drives I have seen quite a few of the cheaper ones flip out on the firmware side, then it requires backing up with a little trouble and re-flashing the firmware. Pain in the A.. job.

Samsung.

If you can't get that for some reason and the reason needs to be better than the dog ate your homework, then get something with 3D NAND Flash, far more reliable than anything outside of SLC.

5 hours ago, Bruinator said:

Are silicon power internal ssds any good?

I am using it, since 2 years, Budget drives, never had any problem.

Big fan of their usb sticks... I have like 6 or 7 of them... Never any problems 8 to 64GB in size..

What specific model you looking at - what is the use case?  Ie what you going to put it in - what is the mostly going to be doing.. OS, Storage?  You sticking it in an case as external storage?

That I don't see them over at https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

hmmm that not really a good sign..

Prob wouldn't use it as your main OS drive... But you throwing it in OLD laptop to breath some new life into it sort of thing?  Use case is always important when deciding if you should save a few bucks or spend a few bucks for something better..

5 hours ago, BudMan said:

Big fan of their usb sticks... I have like 6 or 7 of them... Never any problems 8 to 64GB in size..

What specific model you looking at - what is the use case?  Ie what you going to put it in - what is the mostly going to be doing.. OS, Storage?  You sticking it in an case as external storage?

That I don't see them over at https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

hmmm that not really a good sign..

Prob wouldn't use it as your main OS drive... But you throwing it in OLD laptop to breath some new life into it sort of thing?  Use case is always important when deciding if you should save a few bucks or spend a few bucks for something better..

But strain as I can, I can't think of any good reason not to pay the tiny price difference and get a Samsung since any new SSD anyone would buy would be for something "vitally important" such as an O/S or at least "somewhat important" as a game drive or something like that.

For junk data, just use a hard drive.

Hello,

I have had good results with SSDs from Corsair, Crucial, Intel, Kingston, MyDigitalSSD (they tend to specialize in odd form-factors), Patriot, PNY, Samsung, SanDisk and Toshiba.  I have also used a single ZTC SSD, and it is working fine, but that is too small a sample size to be anything other than anecdotal.  One of the Corsair SSDs I purchased was DOA, but I returned to the store and got a replacement which has been working fine every since--again, a single drive failure is not enough data to make any kind of meaningful conclusion, though.

I have read of value-oriented SSDs like Centon, Inland, Silicon Power and Team Group being used  by people without any issues, but it is always a good idea to balance low cost with things like warranty length and how well the company handles support.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

You can add Intel to the list of Premium.

Now that we are complexifying this thread a bit, I suggested Samsung and nothing else not because of silly "branding" but because of their 3D NAND Flash technology. Other manufactures use this Flash in some of their models and I would be happy to suggest those as well.