Router Question

Hi, I have a Fios quantum router from Verizon model #g1100 router. I decided to get my own router instead of paying for the verizon. What routers  are compatible with that or does it even bother?

TIA

51 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I thought the router doesn't matter. Only the modem matters. This right?

No. That depends on the type of Internet access. I don’t have a modem at all with fiber and I suspect the OP is the same way considering that is a fios router. 

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

No. That depends on the type of Internet access. I don’t have a modem at all with fiber and I suspect the OP is the same way considering that is a fios router. 

Oh, OK. Never got into the FIOS world yet...

Ok i have an ethernet connection which uses ONT. Fios tv is hooked up as well. Verizon told me if I dont have a verizon router, the tv will have issues. I dont know how true that is. If you need anymore info, feel free to ask before helping me on a compatible router.

Thx

2 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Ok i have an ethernet connection which uses ONT. Fios tv is hooked up as well. Verizon told me if I dont have a verizon router, the tv will have issues. I dont know how true that is. If you need anymore info, feel free to ask before helping me on a compatible router.

Thx

The link Zag provided covers that as well :) It looks like you can purchase an adapter to bring functionality back :) I've marked the text about the adapter in red below

Steps for users with FiOS TV

If you have FiOS TV, and you've followed the steps up to this point, your Internet is now happily working on your own router! However, you'll soon notice that your TV service will have some issues, such as the guide not working, and on demand not functioning either. 

These issues are because the set top boxes rely on MoCA technology to get their Internet access. Since the Verizon router has been disconnected, the set top boxes can no longer access the Internet. To fix this, simply connect an ethernet cable from the LAN port of your own router to the WAN port of your old Verizon router, as shown below.

large?v=1.0&px=999

After you have connected the cable, give the Verizon router a reboot. Then, reboot all the set top boxes, and ensure that functions like guide and on demand work.

If you don't want to pay the rental fee for the Verizon router, you can purchase a standalone MoCA adapter such as this Aciontec one: http://a.co/0AUXdWo (Or optionally, you can find some cheap used Verizon Aciontec routers on ebay).

Simply connect the Coax cable from your old Verizon router to the MoCA adapter, and then connect an ethernet cable between a LAN port on your router to the MoCA adapter's ethernet port. Reboot the set top boxes after the MoCA adapter has been connected and ensure they function as intended.

Do note that a select few features such as remote DVR programming do not work when using your own router. Unfortunately, there is no way around this issue.

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

The link Zag provided covers that as well :) It looks like you can purchase an adapter to bring functionality back :) I've marked the text about the adapter in red below

On the links description, do I have to connect the old router to the new router to sync them and then return the older router and then I will be fine? What about having to use a verizon router for the tv or is that verizon just saying that?

thx

12 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

On the links description, do I have to connect the old router to the new router to sync them and then return the older router and then I will be fine? What about having to use a verizon router for the tv or is that verizon just saying that?

thx

If you have Verizon Internet and TV, it is still possible to use your own router, however you’ll have to follow some additional steps, and you will be required to keep the Verizon router.

The link that Zag provided seems to be answering each question you are asking... :unsure:

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2018 at 3:17 PM, Nick H. said:

The link that Zag provided seems to be answering each question you are asking... :unsure:

Perhaps his tech understanding ability is challenged in the networking area and repeating RTFM over and over might just embarrassed him to the extent he has run off without feeling very confident...

The idiotic surge of wireless everywhere is partially a response to people looking at those wires plugged into expensive stuff and thinking to themselves "if I plug the wrong wire into the wrong receptacle, I'm going to get that burning smell and smoke everywhere that always happens when I do this stuff"

Or maybe I'm reading too much into the pattern of this thread so far...