HP DV7-2185dx won't power on

Yes, it's an old laptop, but has been very well cared for and was working great until I ran into a problem where it would run for a short time, then shut down. Now, it won't power on at all. My question is simple- if the battery is dead or removed, could/would this happen? This is my last Windows laptop, and I'd like to keep it going if possible. It's no speed demon but with the SSD I put in it, the machine's performance is very much acceptable. I'd like to save the $$$ for repairing it if it may be the dead battery causing the issue. Will replacing the battery make a difference? I never use it on battery power.

If you take the battery out and run on the power adapter, does it work? Might be something wrong with the battery. As it is this old, that can happen.

If the battery removal does not work, it could be your power plug has been de-soldered.

You can buy a new battery on the cheap side for $10-20. Just make sure you buy the correct one for your system.

If it doesn't power on with the appropriate AC adapter .. might want to take it out to the pasture.  Do you get any lights when you plug in the adapter (for example the charging light w/ battery inserted)? Are you sure the adapter is good w/ appropriate rating.  This notebook, afaik, doesn't need the battery to run on the adapter.  

Thanks, Jim. That's what I was thinking. The adaptor is the correct one. It does have a light that comes on when powered at the socket to the machine. I'm pretty sure whatever is wrong is minor, but I have arthritis in my hands which makes doing the fine detail work hard; even opening the case is difficult.

I figured there was only a tiny chance it would require an in-place adaptor, but I wanted to clear that chance. I am thinking perhaps it is just in need of a good cleaning, but who knows?

You might need to replace the DC plug.

It looks like you would find this a bit hard to do. I'd consider taking it to your local computer place and have them look at it. Don't take it to BB. Just take it to a local place. I'm sure they can help you out.

Like so:

I do have a local shop I like. BB would never be allowed to touch a thing of mine.

Added: After watching that video, I definitely couldn't get it taken apart. The tech I use is a young woman that is very good. I'll let her have the fun.

24 minutes ago, SoCalRox said:

I do have a local shop I like. BB would never be allowed to touch a thing of mine.

Added: After watching that video, I definitely couldn't get it taken apart. The tech I use is a young woman that is very good. I'll let her have the fun.

Good luck ;)

Let us know what happens :) 

I will, but it may be a few weeks. I mentioned it to my wife and she laughed and said "Seriously? At Christmas you want to get a 9 year old laptop fixed that you don't use very often?" She has a point. 

18 minutes ago, SoCalRox said:

I will, but it may be a few weeks. I mentioned it to my wife and she laughed and said "Seriously? At Christmas you want to get a 9 year old laptop fixed that you don't use very often?" She has a point. 

Well, beats the price of a new laptop that you barely use...

2 hours ago, SoCalRox said:

If she is anything like my wife, just mention the cost of their mani-pedi addictions. 

• Like 2

Use a tiny screwdriver and insert it into the intake vent right where the fan is located to prevent the fan from spinning.

Then use a can of compressed air to blow all the dust bunnies out of the cooling fins. You can also blow air into any tiny hole, crack, port etc and one of those will probably be lucky enough to clear off dust on the motherboard.

The purpose of the screwdriver is to prevent spinning the fan too fast and destroying the bearings...

A completely clogged heatsink is one possible cause for the shutdown due to overheating but it seems unlikely to result in total failure when it is cold.

• Like 2