Trying to figure out why my upload speed seems capped at half my download speed.

So ever since buying my house, i've been able to get fibreop from Bell, and while it's been great, I started with 300Mbps down and up, then they upped the speed to 500Mbps up and down, and now that same package is 1.5Gbps down and 940Mbps up.

My problem, every single time, is that my upload speed on Speedtest.net always seems to be exactly half of what my download speed shows. I'm not sure if there's something I need to configure, or I was also wondering if it could be the Cat5e cable that I have connected to my modem?

Here's an example.

The speedtest that shows 1.49Gbps/770Mbps is the built in SpeedTest on my modem, so it's only checking the signal coming into the house, and not the actual speed going to my PC. 

Speedtest.net image shows my issue, my upload while fast, seems to be capped at 474, I've even called up tech support, and got them to check the provision, and I am at least provisioned for 770Mbps upload on their end.

I'm using Windows 10, my NIC is a Gigabit card that came built into the motherboard.

speed2.png

speedtest.png

So 1.5 gig.. How exactly do they expect you to leverage that?  Do you have a lagg setup from their device to your network?  Even so that would just be load balancing and single client would never see over gig..

Does the device have 10ge interface? 802.3bz?

Can your PC actually send at 770... Do a simple test on your local lan with iperf...

C:\tools\iperf3.6_64bit>iperf3.exe -c 192.168.9.10
warning: Ignoring nonsense TCP MSS 0
Connecting to host 192.168.9.10, port 5201
[  5] local 192.168.9.100 port 56691 connected to 192.168.9.10 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec   114 MBytes   959 Mbits/sec
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec   113 MBytes   950 Mbits/sec
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec   113 MBytes   948 Mbits/sec
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec   113 MBytes   951 Mbits/sec
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec   113 MBytes   949 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.11 GBytes   950 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.11 GBytes   950 Mbits/sec                  receiver

Maybe your PC can only send at that top speed, driver issue?  Nic issue?  Validate it works on your local network.

I wish I had this problem... maybe...

A gigabit LAN is nevor going to have 100% throughput due to packet overhead and well a million other things so your interface to the Modem is already a mess.

Presumably the Modem has a 10 gig output which needs to go to a router with a 10 gig input and one crazy honkin giant CPU to route packets at that speed and then connect at 10 gig to a Switch that needs to do something really smart to efficiently load share somehow to a bunch of 1 gig ethernet ports so you can use all of that 1.5 gig input as needed....

Sounds expensive to do this right?

Help @BudManI don't have any 10 gig equipment! But I'm sure it will be interesting if you have time to comment!

Theory limit of 1 gig is like 949-950... As you see that is what iperf is showing me for local speeds.. So clearly screaming ;)  Take into account iperf being off a bit too, etc.

I am curious what isp device he has make and model... That is the whole thing with these companies offering up speeds over 1 gig.. How do they expect the home user to leverage that?  For a lot of users sure some of these devices come with 2 interfaces so you lagg that into your switching environment.  So can use more than 1 gig on the outside - but no single client is going to see over 1 gig max even with multiple sessions... Now multiple clients will be spread across the lagg and sure overall you could use up more than 1 gig but not the end clients.

If you want a single client to be able to see more than 1 gig you need 10ge end to end or you need the new 802.3bz or 2.5-5gbps.. Which I have seen a handful of switches not have not really seen advertised for nic or pcs of yet..  So for example the MS510TX from netgear is a 10port switch that does 1, 2.5, 5 and even 10ge on the uplink so you can have clients from 1 to 5 and then 10ge uplink to your infrastructure or your more than 1gig isp connection.  There are the AQN-107 and 108 that can do 802.3bz and the 107 does 10ge even... So while it can be done - it just hasn't hit mainstream as of yet.

The Aquantia cards are cheap you can find them on Amazon for under $70... So even without a switch you could connect couple of PCs at higher than gig.. For real cheap.. There are ways to skin the 1gig barrier cat ;)

The NAS I got doesn't support 10ge.. One of the things I kind rubs me wrong way - But my research had shown that it could do smb3 multichannel... Prob could of gone with the new DS1619+ that can add a 10ge card... Go figure heheh  But I made my choice --> So that was my budget way out to skin the file moving 1gig barrier between my nas and my pc.. I posted another thread about it when I got it working 226MBps read and write to my NAS breaking the gig barrier ;)

But sure is an interesting topic on how to move higher than 1 gig into the home.. I think 802.3bz should take off and surprised have not seen more of it... But then again your typical user with less than say 100mbps internet has not much use for such speeds locally..  While I would love more upload, waiting for full duplex docsis 3.1 to hit since doesn't seem fiber is coming to my area any time soon.  While I can get gig down from isp in the area its upload is like 100 max.. Which I get 500/50 now so not worth the uptick in price.

Curious what this package cost for those speeds.. But yeah must suck to have such a problem to deal with hehehehe

Just to follow up that switch is kind of high for many home user budgets currently Im afraid.. Its like 300 on amazon..

If I could add a card into my nas for 802.3bz I would be tempted ;)

It has 2 ports that can to 10/100/1000/2.5

2 more than can do 10/100/1000/2.5/5

Then 1 port (meant for uplink) that can do 1g/2.5g/5g/10g

then 1 fiber sfp+ port that can do 1g or 10g

then 4 ports that can just do normal 10/100/1g

When that thing hits 200 price point now you might see some people getting it..  The buffalo switch that is out there that does 1 and 10 is like 700...

So really anything above 1g in the home is still for those with a decent budget to play around with..