Which monitor

I'm in the market for a new rig at home, think I have sorted that side of things out but after some new monitors and struggling to decide what to get.

Currently running 2 x 24" Samsung monitors, looking at either a matching pair of 24's or going up to something like 27".

There is currently 52% off the Dell U2417H on Amazon, but I am also looking at the Dell U2717D.

Not seen any decent deals other than the 52% but still seems quite steep. Any recommendations, mainly for photo work.

I am limited to any bigger due to a unit over the desk so height is something to factor.  Don't want anything massive but wondering weather to go to 3 screens i.e. 1 x 27 and 2 x 24 or just 2 x 27.

Thoughts and recommendations please.  Thanks.

17 hours ago, MattL said:

I'm in the market for a new rig at home, think I have sorted that side of things out but after some new monitors and struggling to decide what to get.

Currently running 2 x 24" Samsung monitors, looking at either a matching pair of 24's or going up to something like 27".

There is currently 52% off the Dell U2417H on Amazon, but I am also looking at the Dell U2717D.

Not seen any decent deals other than the 52% but still seems quite steep. Any recommendations, mainly for photo work.

I am limited to any bigger due to a unit over the desk so height is something to factor.  Don't want anything massive but wondering weather to go to 3 screens i.e. 1 x 27 and 2 x 24 or just 2 x 27.

Thoughts and recommendations please.  Thanks.

1. get a 4K 27"

2. get a sub-4K ultra wide 32+ inch which will actually be less height

3. ether way, pay attention to the LCD panel quality if doing graphics work. IPS, with 10 bit panel with full RGB backlight, not white LEDs

For Dell, they usually have 2 tiers in their UltraSharp lineup but they don't like to point that out so look for code words like "Premium Panel"

Thanks for that.  Is there any benefit to 4K, I don't work with anything using that, I know it would be future proofing but they seem a bit more in terms of cost for benefits I probably wont see?

4 minutes ago, MattL said:

Thanks for that.  Is there any benefit to 4K, I don't work with anything using that, I know it would be future proofing but they seem a bit more in terms of cost for benefits I probably wont see?

1. Most 4K monitors are first rate quality. I sure that will change at some point as the industry figures out how to eternally rip-off customers at the lower end of the market...

2. The 3840 x 2160 resolution is good screen real estate provided you select a monitor large enough for your own eyeballs that you don't need to SCALE. Then with a single monitor that has almost the total real estate of your two current ones, you are positioned to add a second one later on and end up with the equivalent of 4 of your originals. If you use any design software, you already know what I mean by screen real estate! If you don't then ignore all this