6.7 magnitude quake rocks buildings in Anchorage, Alaska

I hope its not too bad. 

I have to admit I have a morbid interest in experiencing a earthquake. The idea that the entire earth around you can move kinda freaks me out. 

Alaska earthquake claimed no lives, officials say, but infrastructure damage is another story

A 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked the state of Alaska on Friday morning, churning up roads and sending office workers running to the streets in scenes locals described as pure "anarchy."

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was centered about five miles north of Anchorage, Alaska's largest city.

Republican Rep. Donald Young said at a press conference Friday evening that an initial assessment found that the earthquake was not deadly. “We’re quite pleased to report that there’s been no deaths at this time that we know of,” he said.

But if the news, from a casualty standpoint, was good, infrastructure was another story. Republican Sen.Lisa Murkowski said there was major concern regarding recovery efforts and safety.

“The impact is very real, the impact is very hard, and it will require apparently a great deal of recovery and effort,”’ she said. “There are homes without power. There is some concern that you may have gas line breaks that could lead to potential further disasters.”

GOP Sen. Dan Sullivan added that the state has already seen major aftershocks, “some above 5.0” magnitude.

“Make no mistake, this was a big one,” he said, citing a serious concern regarding transportation impact. “Right now the highways in and out of Anchorage, with the exception of one going up north, are cut off and that’s a big problem for us.”

Sullivan did add that despite the damage to roads and bridges, a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administrator told state officials that there were “no reports of any major building collapse.”

[...]

https://www.foxnews.com/us/alaska-earthquake-claimed-no-lives-officials-say-but-infrastructure-damage-is-another-story

On 11/30/2018 at 12:56 PM, Xenon said:

I hope its not too bad. 

I have to admit I have a morbid interest in experiencing a earthquake. The idea that the entire earth around you can move kinda freaks me out. 

I have experienced a couple mild ones - the East coast doesn't get the intense ones the West does but we do get some. I clearly remember one a few years back. It was kind of like someone was yanking a platform I was standing on back and forth for several seconds. Only there was no platform. Left everyone in the office freaked out for a few hours.

I can go the rest of my life just fine without experiencing one more serious that that ...

You just have to balance the risk of a quake strong enough to ruin the structure you're in (given our building code standards, modern structures are fairly safe) versus yearly blizzards and hurricanes and stuff. Most people here are happy with our choice. Most of the impact I've experienced in my life has been highway collapses.

As far as the experience, it can vary depending on the type of earth movement. Sometimes it is more wavey, sometimes vertical, other times more horizontal. Most of the time they are short enough that you don't really register the type until it is over.