Seeking home NAS advice

I picked up a QNAP-431P during a Black Friday sale to retire my aging Windows Home Server . I have 4 new WD Red 3TB drives and a 10TB external USB drive. (Lots of sales last week and I've been putting this off)

So, I'm looking for advice. My current setup is 2x3TB and 2x1TB, RAID1, with backup to external USB and most important files out to Amazon Glacier.  With my new setup, I want to configure snapshots and have backups going to the USB drive and online as needed, similar to the old setup.

With 4X3TB, should I go with RAID 5, 6, 10 or JBOD? 

This is for home use. Photos, music, video and home documents. I absolutely do not want to lose data, but the world doesn't end if I can't stream my vacation videos for a week or two during a restore. I hate restoring unless I have to, though, so RAID would be my first line of defense here (I know, it's not a backup)

Personally I'd do a Raid 10. As long as you have your most important data on Amazon Glacier, theres little to lose here.

Just put them in raid 0.. Like you said its home ###### and you have local backup and in the cloud... Give you the performance.. Clearly saw a difference going from SHR array to 0..

10 would take him to 6TB vs 12...

How much space are you looking to need/use?

9 hours ago, BudMan said:

Just put them in raid 0.. Like you said its home ###### and you have local backup and in the cloud... Give you the performance.. Clearly saw a difference going from SHR array to 0..

10 would take him to 6TB vs 12...

How much space are you looking to need/use?

I'm at about 2.5 now, assuming the usual rate of increase, I figure near 6 in the next 5 years, unless I decide to backup my dvd's, which I don't really see a huge need for, 

So your at 2.5 and you have 3x4TB to use.. If you want performance put 3 of them in raid 0 and 4th as backup.. since your not using the full space of the drives.. Play with performance before you decide..

Are you using just 1 gig connection, smb3 multichannel - 10ge?  Since your 113MBps limit of gig is not going to be a problem with any sort of raid.. But if you want to do faster than that and your network connection allows it.. Then that might decide for you..  When I was in SHR I could not no 220 write across the smb3 multichannel... But when I went raid zero I have no issues making out the smb3 mutichannel write.. so see 220MBps no problem..

12 minutes ago, BudMan said:

So your at 2.5 and you have 3x4TB to use.. If you want performance put 3 of them in raid 0 and 4th as backup.. since your not using the full space of the drives.. Play with performance before you decide..

Are you using just 1 gig connection, smb3 multichannel - 10ge?  Since your 113MBps limit of gig is not going to be a problem with any sort of raid.. But if you want to do faster than that and your network connection allows it.. Then that might decide for you..  When I was in SHR I could not no 220 write across the smb3 multichannel... But when I went raid zero I have no issues making out the smb3 mutichannel write.. so see 220MBps no problem..

I'm going to test RAID 10, 5 and a stripe set to see which gives me the best balance of speed, storage and some minor protection. I hate restoring from backups if I don't have to, but I wonder if RAID 5 is a waste of time with 3TB drives. 

I'm plugging it in to my new (to me) 1 gig  Dell PowerConnect switch that I picked up on eBay for $30, which is doing much better than the SOHO specials from Netgear.

So what is your connection... If your only 1 wire gig then prob raid 5 is not going to be a hit..

But yeah if you have the chance test what you want to do for performance.. I saw night and day between SHR and 0 ;)  SHR would of not been an issue with just 1 gig connection but couldn't keep up with smb3 multichannel.