Printing with carbon copy

Hi people,

I didn’t know where to post the topic but here seemed fine if it’s in the wrong place please move it. Anyways let’s get back on topic. I am looking for a printer that prints with carbon copy on A4 paper. And carbon copy A4 paper too.

Is there a specific printer for it?

Can it be any inkjet or laserjet printer?

Where can I find the paper?

Many Thanks

Carbon copy works on something making an impression, so not inkjet or laserjet.  Dot matrix or whatever the other one is called.  Can't remember.  Like a typewriter, but a printer.  Has a little ball with letters.

3 hours ago, Mahu said:

Hi people,

I didn’t know where to post the topic but here seemed fine if it’s in the wrong place please move it. Anyways let’s get back on topic. I am looking for a printer that prints with carbon copy on A4 paper. And carbon copy A4 paper too.

Is there a specific printer for it?

Can it be any inkjet or laserjet printer?

Where can I find the paper?

Many Thanks

but... but... WHY?

Since carbon paper vanished after the 1980's everyone everywhere just prints out TWO original copies!

That's a little thing that printers do... carbon was for typewriters when no computer, no data on a disk, to save a human typist from typing it TWICE by hand!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DevTech said:

but... but... WHY?

Since carbon paper vanished after the 1980's everyone everywhere just prints out TWO original copies!

That's a little thing that printers do... carbon was for typewriters when no computer, no data on a disk, to save a human typist from typing it TWICE by hand!

Uninformed post is uninformed. Many industries still insist upon carbon copies (or alternate impact techniques including magnetic) as it is a verified exact copy of the original - and yes they can be verified. I work in the legal industry where it’s still commonplace, also it’s often used in financial institutions.

Because it’s able to be verified to have been printed at the same time by the same printer, it is able to be accepted as “the same print” rather than “another run of the same document”.

1 hour ago, Human.Online said:

Uninformed post is uninformed. Many industries still insist upon carbon copies (or alternate impact techniques including magnetic) as it is a verified exact copy of the original - and yes they can be verified. I work in the legal industry where it’s still commonplace, also it’s often used in financial institutions.

Because it’s able to be verified to have been printed at the same time by the same printer, it is able to be accepted as “the same print” rather than “another run of the same document”.

Stupid is still stupid.

The ancient equipment just used in the midterm elections is a great example of that. There are still places in the world where ancient communications protocols are mandated for financial transactions. There is still COBOL code being maintained...

None of which justifies the lost opportunity cost of keeping these antiquated horse and buggy Victorian junk going.

Well, unless there is extra heaping of Brass in it...

Hello,

There are a number of printer manufacturers which may make devices capable of doing what you need:

EPSON - Impact Printers for Work

Lexmark - Dot Matrix Series

Oki Data - Dot Matrix Printers

TallyGenicom - Dot Matrix Printers and Line Printers

Perhaps one of these will meet your needs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

2 hours ago, DevTech said:

Stupid is still stupid.

The ancient equipment just used in the midterm elections is a great example of that. There are still places in the world where ancient communications protocols are mandated for financial transactions. There is still COBOL code being maintained...

None of which justifies the lost opportunity cost of keeping these antiquated horse and buggy Victorian junk going.

Well, unless there is extra heaping of Brass in it...

Well what you deem as “stupid” satisfies a need for companies all around the world, is a massive industry and still provides a huge revenue stream for major printer manufacturers. But sure, you know better.

2 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Well what you deem as “stupid” satisfies a need for companies all around the world, is a massive industry and still provides a huge revenue stream for major printer manufacturers. But sure, you know better.

I didn't say it wasn't making money - monopolies and various protected industries often rake in the cash at the expense of everyone else.

I just said is was antiquated and inefficient and therefore stupid from a tech point of view - doesn't mean it isn't "locally smart" for snake oil salesmen but money simply cannot be the Measure of  Things or else civilization is doomed...

28 minutes ago, Mahu said:

Sorry for the hassle people. Thanks for the replies, please do not argue. I don’t want the dot matrix printer. It needs to be in the form of A4 paper. Thank you. 

As I mention previously...I believe carbonless laser paper will do the job. I've never used it personally but have seen it...might be worth checking out. It isn't carbon paper (which would need an impact printer like a dot matrix) but it does spit out two or three copies like carbon paper.

3 hours ago, Mahu said:

Sorry for the hassle people. Thanks for the replies, please do not argue. I don’t want the dot matrix printer. It needs to be in the form of A4 paper. Thank you. 

A daisywheel printer perhaps?

4 hours ago, DevTech said:

I just said is was antiquated and inefficient and therefore stupid from a tech point of view

So printing twice - at two different (albeit very close) points in time is more efficient than printing once and adheres to the needs that the industry demands?  Nope

57 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

A daisywheel printer perhaps?

So printing twice - at two different (albeit very close) points in time is more efficient than printing once and adheres to the needs that the industry demands?  Nope

Ho ho ho - looking for a buggy whip factory and where do I find those Oxen yokes?

Just in case you don't actually see it, the point of printing twice is that you are using standard modern equipment and can easily transition your system to printing once and emailing the other one, and then just print a Blockchain code, and then email everything as simple Blockchain ID and if you are the CIA, you can attach Iris scans, CV capture of the transaction etc.

Carbon? Carbon - just the word makes one shudder about the environment... Next we'll hear they want to destroy pristine Alaska and drill for oil again... Oh wait...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/us/oil-drilling-arctic-national-wildlife-refuge.html

7 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Ho ho ho - looking for a buggy whip factory and where do I find those Oxen yokes?

Just in case you don't actually see it, the point of printing twice is that you are using standard modern equipment and can easily transition your system to printing once and emailing the other one, and then just print a Blockchain code, and then email everything as simple Blockchain ID and if you are the CIA, you can attach Iris scans, CV capture of the transaction etc.

Carbon? Carbon - just the word makes one shudder about the environment... Next we'll hear they want to destroy pristine Alaska and drill for oil again... Oh wait...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/us/oil-drilling-arctic-national-wildlife-refuge.html

You are failing to get that printing twice IS NOT an equivalent.  Not really sure how further to explain this, I can see your thinking but within certain industries these carbon (and other methods) of multiple output prints are "transactionally" the same print - they even do it in triplicate and any one of the three instances (often white, pink and yellow) constitutes THE SAME piece of paper as either of the others.  Not a reprint a half second later - the same print.

2 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

You are failing to get that printing twice IS NOT an equivalent.  Not really sure how further to explain this, I can see your thinking but within certain industries these carbon (and other methods) of multiple output prints are "transactionally" the same print - they even do it in triplicate and any one of the three instances (often white, pink and yellow) constitutes THE SAME piece of paper as either of the others.  Not a reprint a half second later - the same print.

Sigh. If there was a legal need, Blockchain would make 1,000 printouts legally identical...

Digging into the illogical retention of old tech (like obsolete voting machines) always turns out to be money going into the pocket of some person or Cartel or Monopoly that gains profit or control or often both by turning a blind eye to alternatives until the Police or a Government Investigation Committee comes knocking on their door!

Since I assume neither of us is an Investigative Journalist, and mucking about with "The High and Mighty" is beyond our scope, I should just wish you luck in your search...

Carbon paper requires a physical impression to be done.  This is generally reserved for handwritten documents or documents done on a typewriter or dot matrix printer as there is a physical impact or pressure asserted with those types of tools.  

Ink and laser, there is no physical impact or have pressure behind them so they will not work for you.  Dot Matrix can support A4 paper....It can be continuous fed or individual sheets.  

An example of a dot matrix that can print A4 is a Printronix P5005B.  It accepts A2, A3, A4, A5, and A6 paper sizes in either Continuous forms or plain paper.

The Epson LQ-2090II Impact printer (dot matrix) will support up to 8.5" wide and 3.9" long to 16.5" long, which covers A4.  

20 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Carbon paper requires a physical impression to be done.  This is generally reserved for handwritten documents or documents done on a typewriter or dot matrix printer as there is a physical impact or pressure asserted with those types of tools.  

Ink and laser, there is no physical impact or have pressure behind them so they will not work for you.  Dot Matrix can support A4 paper....It can be continuous fed or individual sheets.  

An example of a dot matrix that can print A4 is a Printronix P5005B.  It accepts A2, A3, A4, A5, and A6 paper sizes in either Continuous forms or plain paper.

The Epson LQ-2090II Impact printer (dot matrix) will support up to 8.5" wide and 3.9" long to 16.5" long, which covers A4.  

Non-Impact

Non-impact printers that might have multiple paper are thermal and electrostatic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermofax

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermographic_printing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_printing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrofax

Impact

1. There is the original multi-copy printer - Monks with pens and beautiful artwork, for legal documents with that personal touch...

2. Dot Matrix - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_matrix_printing - the noise of a thousand mosquitos...

3. Daisy Wheel - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_wheel_printing - spinning their wheels...

4. Line Printer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_digital_printer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_printer - a majestic Buzz!

5. Plotters also press on the surface - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plotter - It's a plot!

Paper

This is the paper:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonless_copy_paper

FWIW, I have an inkjet style plotter at work.  It does not press on the surface, so it is not an impact printer.  Pen/marker based plotters can, but not all plotters are.

Unsure of how much stock the OP has with carbon paper, could have a large financial investment there with prefilled fields.

14 minutes ago, Mahu said:

Thanks for the replies people. So it is CARBONLESS A4 paper that I am after. Now can I use carbonless paper on any inkjet / laserjet printers?

NO! Carbon or Carbonless paper requires an impact or pressure to copy, inkjet and laser do NOT impact the paper. So those printers will not work. Dot Matrix and/or Daisy Wheel printers is your only option.

This is why when certain financial transactions are performed Carbonless copy paper is used on a Dot Matrix printer.

27 minutes ago, Mahu said:

Thanks for the replies people. So it is CARBONLESS A4 paper that I am after. Now can I use carbonless paper on any inkjet / laserjet printers?

You have seen the discussion I was having...

Are you absolutely sure in 2018, you need a system of some sort that really needs carbon paper?

I would be curious to know more about what you are doing... maybe with all the people here there might be better suggestions if they knew more about the purpose.

On thing for example is you already said you didn't want a Dot Matrix printer, which happens to be the easiest thing to locate for printing on Carbon... 

So what is wrong with Dot Matrix?

So, what are you doing actually?

2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

You have seen the discussion I was having...

Are you absolutely sure in 2018, you need a system of some sort that really needs carbon paper?

I would be curious to know more about what you are doing... maybe with all the people here there might be better suggestions if they knew more about the purpose.

On thing for example is you already said you didn't want a Dot Matrix printer, which happens to be the easiest thing to locate for printing on Carbon... 

So what is wrong with Dot Matrix?

So, what are you doing actually?

I don’t work in investigative journalism but I am fully aware of the demands for the (lack of) technology we are talking about. Having worked in a payroll bureau, a major international bank and now a law firm - I have seen first hand that if you don’t conform to certain industry standards, you don’t get the assurances that multiple-copy printing tech brings.

I will say, if you aren’t sure you need it, then you’re throwing away good money.

38 minutes ago, Mahu said:

25 minutes ago, xpablo said:

NO! Carbon or Carbonless paper requires an impact or pressure to copy, inkjet and laser do NOT impact the paper. So those printers will not work. Dot Matrix and/or Daisy Wheel printers is your only option.

This is why when certain financial transactions are performed Carbonless copy paper is used on a Dot Matrix printer.

1 hour ago, sc302 said:

https://www.relyco.com/products/specialty-printing-paper/reimage-carbonless-laser-paper/

There IS Carbonless Laser Paper!

But it speaks to a FORK in using Carbon

1. Is the printer needing the "carbon copy"

2. Or is the USER needing the "carbon copy"

It could actually be one or the other

If you want to print a USER FORM where it is filled out in Human Retro Old-School Pen By Hand:

- then Carboness Laser works...

10 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

I don’t work in investigative journalism but I am fully aware of the demands for the (lack of) technology we are talking about. Having worked in a payroll bureau, a major international bank and now a law firm - I have seen first hand that if you don’t conform to certain industry standards, you don’t get the assurances that multiple-copy printing tech brings.

I will say, if you aren’t sure you need it, then you’re throwing away good money.

Dot Matrix, Daisy Wheel, IBM Selectric, and a Line Printer that took up an entire room, now I'm starting to tread where I didn't want to - the sights, the smells, the noise - this stuff was Majestic!

I'm having a Melancholy Steam Punk experience... Maybe a hobby project to make a Line Printer out of Brass... If only I lived in England where this stuff is still everywhere!

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1346806-i-need-some-advise-on-what-to-do-next/?do=findComment&comment=598109668

21 hours ago, Jim K said:

Dot Matrix.

Or .. Carbonless laser paper (in 2 or 3 part).  Amazon, Staples, etc., has them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯