Printing with carbon copy

1 minute ago, Jim K said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I just realized the OP never said if he wanted a "legal multi-copy document" or if he just wanted the even more ancient "printed multi-copy form" which gets printed and then filled out by a shockingly retro Human with a Pen.

So we don't know which it is...

20 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Yeah, I just realized the OP never said if he wanted a "legal multi-copy document" or if he just wanted the even more ancient "printed multi-copy form" which gets printed and then filled out by a shockingly retro Human with a Pen.

So we don't know which it is...

Well .... he did say "carbon copy on A4 paper" ... so it is either Dot Matrix (or other impact printers) or Carbonless laser paper (I'm not aware of any option for inkjets).  From his OP I just gathered he wanted "carbon copies" (kicking it old school)   :) 

There isn't a huge need for this.  Though carbonless laser paper is an option, this was not described in the OP.  Usually when signing documents, we sign the original then create a copy of said original by scanning or reproducing via a copier (or both)....I work in a heavily government regulated industry where paperwork is mandatory and original signatures are a must which can hold legal personal responsibility (I get visits from a couple of 3 letter agencies every or every other year).    Carbon copies aren't much of a thing any more, look at the direction restaurants have taken in regards to carbon copy receipts (the biggest proponent of carbon copying signatures).  

5 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Well .... he did say "carbon copy on A4 paper" ... so it is either Dot Matrix (or other impact printers) or Carbonless laser paper (I'm not aware of any option for inkjets).  From his OP I just gathered he wanted "carbon copies" (kicking it old school)   :) 

Yeah but they are two completely different animals...

1. You are printing several copies AT THE SAME TIME guaranteed to be legally TIME-IDENTICAL which apparently has some sort of real world value in some industries and needs the DOT MATRIX printer.

2. Or you are just printing a old fashioned form sheet to be manually filled out "in triplicate" and presumably placed in a retro manila folder in some big black file cabinet somewhere... This can be done with a LASER PRINTER by printing 3 or 4 separate pages (i.e. NOT TIME IDENTICAL) which you then collate and staple together to make a "form" that works with a Human Using A Pen

@Human.Onlinedid I get #1 described correctly in my post above?

I am having trouble imagining how you legally prove the copies came from the same print-out and what exact industry usage (as an example) would need that proof and what sort of challenges get mounted against it?

- You are Abraham Lincholn and printing the Gettysburg Address to make sure your proof-reading team gets the same copy?

- You are Ulysses S. Grant and you are worried that Robert E. Lee will intercept your printout for General Buell to advance his forces onto General Beuregard of the Confederate Army on the second day of the Battle of Shiloh and so you send 3 identical carbon copies via separate courier which worked out to defeat Beauregard's plan to drive Grant down to the river's edge.

When I leased my car the state and bank required duplicates. The dealership financial guy had and old school dot matrix printer that made a copy for the dealership, the state, the bank  and me. I was amazed to even see this printer. So there must be some legal requirement to do this, plus the form was the length of two legal size sheets, and preprinted areas that needed to be filled.