NZXT Fan issues

Specs:

NZXT H500i Mid

NZXT Kraken X62

ASUS Prime Z370-A

Intel Core i7 8700

Team T-Force Dark 3000MHz 16GB

I have no idea about where to start with this, fans are crazy loud.. like even on idle. I was looking at bios settings and noticed Qfan had things on PWM, DC and Auto.. I honestly have no idea what these are or mean.

I can't control anything from the CAM software the asus suite II software does little to nothing on the fan speed.

3 hours ago, Jase said:

Specs:

NZXT H500i Mid

NZXT Kraken X62

ASUS Prime Z370-A

Intel Core i7 8700

Team T-Force Dark 3000MHz 16GB

I have no idea about where to start with this, fans are crazy loud.. like even on idle. I was looking at bios settings and noticed Qfan had things on PWM, DC and Auto.. I honestly have no idea what these are or mean.

I can't control anything from the CAM software the asus suite II software does little to nothing on the fan speed.

That's a new build.

If you can return the fan, do it right away and buy an integrated water cooler from Corsair and others for Super Quiet + Super-Cooling

Assuming the fans are running at max speed and that's a big assumption because they can be quite noisy at 1/2 speed too, you have to keep in mind that if you get dynamic speed working right, it will STILL BE THAT LOUD when playing games, encoding video or anything that uses max CPU.

The case comes stock with 120mm fans. The smaller the fan the more it has to work to move air the louder it will be at all times.

Upgrading to 140mm fans if possible should help some.

So assuming you are crazy enough to keep the noise maker:

1. make sure the wire from the fan has 4 wires and 4 pins at the end for PWM

2. make sure you attach it to the mobo at a connector that has 4 pins and that you didn't shift everything over by one pin by mistake

3. Enter the BIOS and enable PWM for that connector

4. While in BIOS, look for temp sensor controls and there should be a readout screen showing you the temps and fan speed in real time

5. Make sure in CPU settings that all C-states are enabled.

6. In WIndows, select the Balanced power profile as a quick test since Max Performance profile defaults to 100% CPU all the time. (you can tweak that later to exactly what you need)

2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

My guess is that the case comes stock with 120mm fans. The smaller the fan the more it has to work to move air the louder it will be at all times.

Upgrading to 140mm fans if possible should help some.

Good point in that he should report back on which fans are the loudest

I was assuming it was the CPU fan

He could also check for speed controls on the fans themselves, some have a tiny switch or knob.

5 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Good point in that he should report back on which fans are the loudest

I was assuming it was the CPU fan

He could also check for speed controls on the fans themselves, some have a tiny switch or knob.

The NZXT Kraken X62 is an AIO cpu water cooler, so that's not the problem. Or at least it shouldn't be. It also runs 140mm fans for the radiator, interestingly.

4 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

The NZXT Kraken X62 is an AIO cpu water cooler, so that's not the problem. It also runs 140mm fans for the radiator, interestingly.

OMG - I fell into the ASS-U-ME trap! Noisy meant it couldn't be water!

Yeah, if for some reason 140mm fans are pushed to max speed they sound horrible, but that should not be possible...

6 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

The NZXT Kraken X62 is an AIO cpu water cooler, so that's not the problem. Or at least it shouldn't be. It also runs 140mm fans for the radiator, interestingly.

So, assuming it is case fans, maybe they have PWM 4 wire connectors but he has plugged them into mobo connectors with just 3 wires 

Or vice versa

2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

So, assuming it is case fans, maybe they have PWM 4 wire connectors but he has plugged them into mobo connectors with just 3 wires 

Or vice versa

He'll have to consult the booklet that came with his mb to figure all that out.