The CIA and the Media

After leaving The Washington Post in 1977, Carl Bernstein spent six months looking at the relationship of the CIA and the press during the Cold War years. His 25,000-word cover story, published in Rolling Stone on October 20, 1977, is reprinted below.

n 1953, Joseph Alsop, then one of America’s leading syndicated columnists, went to the Philippines to cover an election. He did not go because he was asked to do so by his syndicate. He did not go because he was asked to do so by the newspapers that printed his column. He went at the request of the CIA.

Alsop is one of more than 400 American journalists who in the past twenty‑five years have secretly carried out assignments for the Central Intelligence Agency, according to documents on file at CIA headquarters. Some of these journalists’ relationships with the Agency were tacit; some were explicit. There was cooperation, accommodation and overlap. Journalists provided a full range of clandestine services—from simple intelligence gathering to serving as go‑betweens with spies in Communist countries. Reporters shared their notebooks with the CIA. Editors shared their staffs. Some of the journalists were Pulitzer Prize winners, distinguished reporters who considered themselves ambassadors without‑portfolio for their country. Most were less exalted: foreign correspondents who found that their association with the Agency helped their work; stringers and freelancers who were as interested in the derring‑do of the spy business as in filing articles; and, the smallest category, full‑time CIA employees masquerading as journalists abroad. In many instances, CIA documents show, journalists were engaged to perform tasks for the CIA with the consent of the managements of America’s leading news organizations.

Source: http://www.carlbernstein.com/magazine_cia_and_media.php

• Like 2

The Corbett Report: How the CIA Plants News Stories in the Media

It is no longer disputed that the CIA has maintained an extensive and ongoing relationship with news organizations and journalists, and multiple, specific acts of media manipulation have now been documented. But as long as the public continues to ignore the influence of intelligence agencies in shaping or even fabricating news stories, the agency will continue to be able to set the policy that drives the American war machine at will.

• Like 2

not sure this needs to be in the Conspiracy section. im not going to move it, but it was a conspiracy until it was declassified by the CIA in 2007:

Operation Mockingbird

"In 2007 a CIA report was declassified that is titled the Family Jewels.[12] Compiled by the CIA in 1973, it refers to a Project Mockingbird and describes a wiretap of journalists. The report was compiled at the request of then CIA director James R. Schlesinger."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird

• Like 2

Hill & Knowlton and the CIA: http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/LIE/HK/HK2.html

While the use of U.S. media by the CIA has a long and well-documented history, the covert involvement of PR firms may be news to many. According to Trento:

"Reporters were paid by the CIA, sometimes without their media employers' knowledge, to get the material in print or on the air. But other news organizations ordered their employees to cooperate with the CIA, including the San Diego-based Copley News Service. But Copley was not alone, and the CIA had `tamed' reporters and editors in scores of newspaper and broadcast outlets across the country. To avoid direct relationships with the media, the CIA recruited individuals in public relations firms like H&K to act as middlemen for what the CIA wanted to distribute.

How False Testimony and a Massive U.S. Propaganda Machine Bolstered George H.W. Bush’s War on Iraq (Democracy Now!, 5.12.2018):

Edited by nagokod
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Pretty sure you realize that your username translates (from Russian) as BS.

Конечно, вы уже знаете это, да?

Brain Stretching?

"Brain stretching is the practice of forcing the mind to process new information and to be creative in using that information to solve problems, retain memory and sharpen cognitive abilities. If you don't stretch your brain then you will stagnate in the thought processes that got you this far in life but may not get you much further." --Ezine Articles

• Like 2

:glare::no: Not "brain stretching". The complete opposite of "brain stretching".

Clearly you're not a native English-speaking person. Otherwise you'd know what BS means.

The Neowin word censoring routines will catch it if I use the common Russian grammatical of BS, and I don't feel like getting a warning for explaining it further. I'm on thin ice as it is with this one.

I do not appreciate the Anti-American bashing that is a common theme in your posts, though. Really, I don't. This country isn't perfect, and all of us who live here will say the same; but I'll be damned if I let this continue without saying something.

Say something useful that will help solve the problems that we all facetogether. How about expressing ideas that will help bring Humanity closer to one another instead of bitching about "U.S. Government this" or "America that". What, you think Russia is a bed of roses and candy? Or China, with it's dystopian approach to controlling its' populace?

Get out of your headspace that tells you that America is the "great betrayer" or some such nonsense. There IS no "great conspiracy".

Lets' solve problems constructively, togetherfor the benefit of all -- so that we can finally move forward together.

1 hour ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I do not appreciate the Anti-American bashing that is a common theme in your posts, though. Really, I don't. This country isn't perfect, and all of us who live here will say the same; but I'll be damned if I let this continue without saying something.

Clearly you don't have a clue what the rest of the world has to put up with and deal with from all the mess, chaos and destruction that the American government creates around the world! 

The OP posted something relevant, all the CIA does is lie, cheat and create a mess and destruction around the world! We, who are outside of the US are the one who have to suffer the consequences of American interference! So excuse us once in a while if we feel like "venting" for a bit.

2 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Clearly you're not a native English-speaking person. Otherwise you'd know what BS means.

I'm from Finland and my native language is Finnish. Though, I know what you mean. I just wanted to give a silly answer to your silly question.

Everyday we only hear negative news about Russia. The same propaganda is coming out from all major mainstream news agencies all around the western countries. There's a clear campaign going on and they are ramping it up. I'm fed up of it and, I guess, I'm letting my frustration out where I can.

To be clear I'm not against American people. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else.

Say something useful that will help solve the problems that we all face, together. How about expressing ideas that will help bring Humanity closer to one another instead of bitching about "U.S. Government this" or "America that".

Honestly, I don't know what can help. I guess a good starting point is to try to expose people to the truth.

What, you think Russia is a bed of roses and candy? Or China, with it's dystopian approach to controlling its' populace?

Nope, but I believe they are in the way of something more sinister. Is China Really More “Dystopian” Than The UK?

Get out of your headspace that tells you that America is the "great betrayer" or some such nonsense. There IS no "great conspiracy".

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as ‘internationalists’ and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure — one world, if you will. If that is the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it." --David Rocker in his 2002 memoirs

The New York Times, April 9, 1902: Mr. Rhodes’s Ideal of Anglo-Saxon Greatness

- He Believed a Wealthy Secret Society Should Work to Secure the World’s Peace and a British-American Federation

"The only thing feasible to carry out this idea is a secret society gradually absorbing the wealth of the world."

Lets' solve problems constructively, together, for the benefit of all -- so that we can finally move forward together.

That's my aim. I'm not good at explaining things. That's why I post links to articles and videos.

ps. If you, or anyone else, know I'm posting false information, please correct me. I really hope I'm worrying for nothing.

Edited by nagokod

6 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Pretty sure you realize that your username translates (from Russian) as BS.

Конечно, вы уже знаете это, да?

Not even google translate managed to give me anything close.

Must be some special Soros "Everybody russian" NGO translator you are hitting.

f1a4d59fb611bcfa5eaa427c023ff60f78c197cc

As for the topic on hand. RIP Udo Ulfkotte. He was blackballed by the German/ international media after he started publishing unwelcome topics. His achievements speak for themselves. 

Edited by FunkyMike
spiced it up all little
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, FunkyMike said:

Not even google translate managed to give me anything close.

Because you likely don't speak Russian. I do. Not perfectly (by a long shot), it's not my native language, but enough to get by.

And I don't appreciate being painted as a Xenophobe when nothing could be further from the truth.

How dare you.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:38 PM, Unobscured Vision said:

Because you likely don't speak Russian. I do. Not perfectly (by a long shot), it's not my native language, but enough to get by.

And I don't appreciate being painted as a Xenophobe when nothing could be further from the truth.

How dare you.

No worries Unobscured Vision. Was merely breaking your balls due to the BS comment you made.. it is all love around these parts but you didn't help your case staying on point.

No one is painting you a Xenophone either and I highly doubt nagokod is anti american / pro russian / russian bot.

Simply put a lot of people are actually pro people and anti "mainstream" narrative.  Just the way you feel that nagokods post are anti american he probably feels that a lot of posts are too mainstream and too one sided.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:38 PM, Unobscured Vision said:

How dare you.

I was going laugh your comments off now that everyone is friends here until I saw this.

How dare he call you out? When you did try to paint nagokod as russian with a username translating to BS?

When both of those things are incorrect. And then you defend your  comment by saying you know some russian? not sure where you picked up your "knowledge" becuase your assertion was just  not correct.

good to hear you are not a xenophobe though... and I hope it was just a mistake and not a personal attack on nagokod 😁 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1