• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Hydrogen fuel cell-powered trains

tommyjoan    0

The world’s first hydrogen fuel cell-powered trains in Germany have been introduced into passenger service, using Hydrogenics’ fuel cell technology to power the trains.I'm really wondered about how hydrogen fuel affect the environment. Is hydrogen fuel good for the environment? Is this technology the solution for a greener air and environment? What is your opinion?

NinjaGinger    194

As it looks like the emissions are water I would say unless you have a thing about water, then its good.

DocM    15,388

I wouldn't want to be within 5 miles if that engine derailed. No different than if a Delta 4 rocket turned upside down and screwed itself into the ground.

IsItPluggedIn    1,684
15 hours ago, tommyjoan said:

Is hydrogen fuel good for the environment? Is this technology the solution for a greener air and environment? What is your opinion?

Hydrogen as fuel is a low emissions fuel, and is very good for the environment. However the production of hydrogen is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production

it is mainly produced from fossil fuels, or from electrolysis.

Electrolysis is fine but it is more efficient to just use the electricity used to power whatever you need.

Hydrogen fuel cells are a good fuel for portability as it can effectively replace petrol(gas) in its distribution and use. However for most means its easier to just replace cars with electric cars.

• Thanks 1

Draggendrop    5,626

This article may help explain efficiency, where most get confused or do not mention....still better than fossil fuel, but battery power is 4x's more efficient.

Hydrogen is a problem for safe storage in vehicles with kinetic energy...

Hydrogen fuel production and fuel cell tinkering was a "fad" in the 80's...I even had a prototype running on my push mower, but it was "production on demand" with major issues in matching consumption rate with production rate. As far as storage..tried the old cooler bottle trick and the explosive force reminds you real quick..after your ears stop ringing and most pieces of plastic have settled...

WHY BATTERY-POWERED VEHICLES STACK UP BETTER THAN HYDROGEN

https://www.universal-sci.com/headlines/2018/12/2/why-battery-powered-vehicles-stack-up-better-than-hydrogen

good read...