Avengers 4: Endgame (April 2019)

4 hours ago, George P said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't think she's alive, the solo movie is a origin story and thus a prequel.  The only way they can get her back is if they introduced mistress death and somehow could barter for her.  But I don't see how that happens.  She's not trapped anywhere, her soul was used as an exchange for the soul stone.  Not something you come back from so easy.  The only way they brought Gamora back is using time travel shinanigans.   Otherwise she's pretty much dead to.   And I don't think they'll time travel yet again just to bring back another character.  

Nope, this is the old guard signing off, her solo movie is her last one.  Disney is moving on to new actors/actresses and cheaper paychecks.  

Thor probably has one last outing before he's done as well. 

Spoiler

Doesn't a certain Merc have a thing for Mistress Death in the comics? And I'm pretty sure Disney has the rights to make X-men movies. So there are ways. But it also probably depends on how well her solo movie does.

Also I'm pretty Mistress Death has some dealings with Thanos, too, iirc.

2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Doesn't a certain Merc have a thing for Mistress Death in the comics? And I'm pretty sure Disney has the rights to make X-men movies. So there are ways. But it also probably depends on how well her solo movie does.

Also I'm pretty Mistress Death has some dealings with Thanos, too, iirc.

Spoiler

In the original comics Thanos does this all for her, to impress her cuz he's in love or something silly like that.  The thing you have to remember is that not only her but lots of other characters are part of that story which never made it into the MCU.   Who didn't make it out of endgame has just as much to do with real world payroll as it does with any in-movie plot.

So went to see the film at the weekend. Packed cinema and a great watch. It was a 9/10 for me. It was perfect, some of the humour was jilted, but overall a great watch. I was just chatting to a friend this morning and...

Spoiler

How does Thanos travel to the future? I missed how that actually happens....

12 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

So went to see the film at the weekend. Packed cinema and a great watch. It was a 9/10 for me. It was perfect, some of the humour was jilted, but overall a great watch. I was just chatting to a friend this morning and...

Hide contents

At first I gave it a 9/10 right after I saw it but that was the feels effecting me.  Having thought about it more though my score is 8/10.

Spoiler

If you look at it there's at least 1 if not more plot holes.  That's the nature of most time travel flicks though.  They never explain how Thanos and his army traveled to the future so just chalk that up to "the script demands it".  Also as far as plot holes go, people say what Cap did at the end could be a plot hole, but I'm split on it at this point.  Also his shield is trashed, something that shouldn't be able to happen technically as far as comic lore goes but I guess they wanted to show how OP Thanos is.  And yet when he shows up again it's fixed?    Like you said, the humor was kinda silly at times but that's got to be some Disney mandate to make sure things don't get too serious in these movies.  Like they have some sorta joke quota they have to fill.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, George P said:

At first I gave it a 9/10 right after I saw it but that was the feels effecting me.  Having thought about it more though my score is 8/10.  

There were definitely some moments that caught my feels, which was surprising for that sorta film.

I really enjoyed this film, though I have to say that I think I enjoyed Infinity War more. I still give this film 9/10 though. I have seen it twice now, once in a normal 2D screening and aagain in 3D IMAX.

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

Hide contents

Nebula was captured in 2014 and the 2014 version of Nebula went to the future in her place as an impostor. This nebula used the time machine's console to open the time portal with an origin of 2014, allowing Thanos to come through. The only thing not explained is how it worked without the Pim particle, because there was none left. Unless it's implied she used some of the extra particles that Cap brought back from 1970.

Just now, Daedroth said:

Hide contents

Nebula was captured in 2014 and the 2014 version of Nebula went to the future in her place as an impostor. This nebula used the time machine's console to open the time portal with an origin of 2014, allowing Thanos to come through. The only thing not explained is how it worked without the Pim particle, because there was none left. Unless it's implied she used some of the extra particles that Cap brought back from 1970.

That sounds sensible....I'll take your word for it :) 😛 

FINALLY seen it.  Yeah, not bad.  I have to say that I preferred Infinity War, the character interactions felt more enjoyable.

Really not a fan of what thy did with Thor.  I felt his character was riding high from Ragnarok to Infinity War and then this?  He just sorta annoyed me and was just "there" for a lot of the film.

Realistically, it was a great way to tie up the arc without killing the series.  It's opened a lot more stories than it closed.

1 hour ago, Daedroth said:

I really enjoyed this film, though I have to say that I think I enjoyed Infinity War more. I still give this film 9/10 though. I have seen it twice now, once in a normal 2D screening and aagain in 3D IMAX.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

You're right, she opens it for them to come to the future but like you said, how can you do that when you basically need one of those viles of particles per person?  They took liberties there, I mean half the movie it's all about how we don't have enough to try again, yet somehow Thanos can come to the future with his whole army?

7 minutes ago, George P said:
  Hide contents

You're right, she opens it for them to come to the future but like you said, how can you do that when you basically need one of those viles of particles per person?  They took liberties there, I mean half the movie it's all about how we don't have enough to try again, yet somehow Thanos can come to the future with his whole army?

I believe that's covered (though not actually covered) by Cap taking the four vials from Pim's lab in 1970.

5 hours ago, George P said:

Hide contents

If you look at it there's at least 1 if not more plot holes.  That's the nature of most time travel flicks though.  They never explain how Thanos and his army traveled to the future so just chalk that up to "the script demands it".  Also as far as plot holes go, people say what Cap did at the end could be a plot hole, but I'm split on it at this point.  Also his shield is trashed, something that shouldn't be able to happen technically as far as comic lore goes but I guess they wanted to show how OP Thanos is.  And yet when he shows up again it's fixed?    Like you said, the humor was kinda silly at times but that's got to be some Disney mandate to make sure things don't get too serious in these movies.  Like they have some sorta joke quota they have to fill.

Spoiler

Yes they do. He got the Pimm (sp?) particles from the original Nebula after they captured her. Though they don't explain how he actually made use of them but that's not really a plot hole just something he figured out "off screen" which is not unlike how Tony figured out how to time travel in the first place.

As for Caps shield I assume that he procured it in the past. He could have technically altered the past so he never gets frozen in the ice for however many years and to spend his life with Carter. Which then also means he would have an unbroken shield.

Though of course, if we're talking about multiple time lines and the multiverse then that raises still more questions... but it's probably best to not dwell on time travel shenanigans too much.

20 hours ago, trag3dy said:
  Hide contents

Yes they do. He got the Pimm (sp?) particles from the original Nebula after they captured her. Though they don't explain how he actually made use of them but that's not really a plot hole just something he figured out "off screen" which is not unlike how Tony figured out how to time travel in the first place.

As for Caps shield I assume that he procured it in the past. He could have technically altered the past so he never gets frozen in the ice for however many years and to spend his life with Carter. Which then also means he would have an unbroken shield.

Though of course, if we're talking about multiple time lines and the multiverse then that raises still more questions... but it's probably best to not dwell on time travel shenanigans too much.

If my understanding is correct, the Pym particles that were handed to Thanos were used to transport 2014 Nebula to 2019, in 2019's Nebula's place. That Nebula then used the extra Pym particles that Cap obtained from 1970 to use the time machine.

Again, if my understanding is correct, when Cap goes back in time and stays there, he is living in another reality/split timeline (as explained by The Ancient One to Banner). So in that reality, his shield still exists and he brings that with him when he comes back to 2019 to pass it onto Sam. However he cannot alter his past, as that altered future would be a new split timeline that he'd be living in, not the same timeline as all of the other Avengers.

My head. :(

finally got to see Endgame this weekend and wow was it a ride. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the next phase now that they've basically confirmed a multi-verse with the Spiderman: Far from Home trailer :D:D

16 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

finally got to see Endgame this weekend and wow was it a ride. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the next phase now that they've basically confirmed a multi-verse with the Spiderman: Far from Home trailer :D:D

Spoiler

Well they played with the multiverse with spiderman: into the spider-verse and they essentially confirmed the multi-verse in Endgame (if you paid attention).  There is no butterfly effect, your past is the past if you change the past it becomes your future creating another universe which is part of the multi-verse.  There is no single string, there are multiple strings that feed off of different events.  Killing yourself in the past has no consequence in your current state.  They said time travel wasn't the same as what we know and understand about time travel.  Once they break the multi-verse travel, those that are dead can come back to life (if they so choose to renew their contracts), so it truly is never the end.

6 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well they played with the multiverse with spiderman: into the spider-verse and they essentially confirmed the multi-verse in Endgame (if you paid attention).  There is no butterfly effect, your past is the past if you change the past it becomes your future creating another universe which is part of the multi-verse.  There is no single string, there are multiple strings that feed off of different events.  Killing yourself in the past has no consequence in your current state.  They said time travel wasn't the same as what we know and understand about time travel.  Once they break the multi-verse travel, those that are dead can come back to life (if they so choose to renew their contracts).

Spoiler

it's not that it's completely different from what we've seen in past time-travel movies more that it more closely follows the proper quantum time travel theory. everything you alter just becomes a new branch not effecting you or your original timeline. it IS the butterfly effect still but without entanglement/collapse.

it's closer to how I believe time travel would work in reality if we ever managed to achieve it.

edit: if you've ever seen the anime 'Steins Gate' this has a good representation of how it works as well. In fact I may watch through it again, it's a great series :)

10 hours ago, Brandon H said:
  Reveal hidden contents

it's not that it's completely different from what we've seen in past time-travel movies more that it more closely follows the proper quantum time travel theory. everything you alter just becomes a new branch not effecting you or your original timeline. it IS the butterfly effect still but without entanglement/collapse.

it's closer to how I believe time travel would work in reality if we ever managed to achieve it.

edit: if you've ever seen the anime 'Steins Gate' this has a good representation of how it works as well. In fact I may watch through it again, it's a great series :)

Steins:Gate is good stuff, the newer alternate version, not so much, but for other reasons. 

Spoiler

As far as next phase goes, I think they'd have to use the multiverse explanation in order to work in all the FOX Marvel IP they just got back.    Spider-man is the one character who interacts with the avengers and x-men more than anyone else, iirc, so it makes sense that the next movie will dip it's toes into the multiverse.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:12 AM, Human.Online said:

FINALLY seen it.  Yeah, not bad.  I have to say that I preferred Infinity War, the character interactions felt more enjoyable.

Really not a fan of what thy did with Thor.  I felt his character was riding high from Ragnarok to Infinity War and then this?  He just sorta annoyed me and was just "there" for a lot of the film.

Realistically, it was a great way to tie up the arc without killing the series.  It's opened a lot more stories than it closed.

I felt that after seeing Infinity War/Endgame and looking back at Ragnarok, Thor was actually on a deep ride down into a depression in Ragnarok and was hiding behind humour. Infinity War was pretty much Rock bottom for him and he couldn't cope anymore. I found it quite sad to see but created a new side of affection for his character that really humanised him somewhat and made him feel a little more like your average person. 

You saw a very similar trait being shown from Tony near the start of the movie, mentally he'd given up. Tony only recovered because he had not lost everything like I think Thor felt he had.

Spoiler

Endgame... Captain Marvel came off as a bad ass in the movie, Captain Marvel.   Wrecked the enemy ship at the end of End Game but needed help getting the gauntlet to the time machine?   And sorry, Hawk should have been the one to die and really didn't like Stark dying as well.  Other than that, and the same old time machine BS  aside, was a good movie I guess.

1 hour ago, techbeck said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Endgame... Captain Marvel came off as a bad ass in the movie, Captain Marvel.   Wrecked the enemy ship at the end of End Game but needed help getting the gauntlet to the time machine?   And sorry, Hawk should have been the one to die and really didn't like Stark dying as well.  Other than that, and the same old time machine BS  aside, was a good movie I guess.

Spoiler

The one negative that pops to mind for Endgame though is that it pretty much expects you to have seen Captain marvel before.  Otherwise you'll be like, who? When?  What?   She just saves Tony for example and then we get no real explanation for her character being there.  

I ended up watching Captain Marvel because my friend invited me out to it, I originally didn't plan to, at least not in the theaters.  Anyways, that's just a nitpick, one of a few I have but oh well.   

Hide contents

The one negative that pops to mind for Endgame though is that it pretty much expects you to have seen Captain marvel before.  Otherwise you'll be like, who? When?  What?   She just saves Tony for example and then we get no real explanation for her character being there.  

I ended up watching Captain Marvel because my friend invited me out to it, I originally didn't plan to, at least not in the theaters.  Anyways, that's just a nitpick, one of a few I have but oh well.   

If you watched after the credits for Avengers Infinity War, Captain Marvel makes an appearance.   But I would think that anyone familiar with Marvel, and the outfit, would know who she was.

Hide contents

But surely that applies to other films in the Marvel universe too?

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

But surely that applies to other films in the Marvel universe too?

Others are to a lesser extent tied to each other.   Captain marvel ties into Endgame more than say, GotG 2 does, or Civil War does.     Any film that features one of the infinity stones ties into IW and Endgame more.  The rest can act just as fine on their own as stand alone stories.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, techbeck said:

If you watched after the credits for Avengers Infinity War, Captain Marvel makes an appearance.   But I would think that anyone familiar with Marvel, and the outfit, would know who she was.

Just her symbol, not her.  After Credits Infinity War Scene from 0 to1:33 in the below clip:

12 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Just her symbol, not her.  After Credits Infinity War Scene from 0 to1:33 in the below clip:

huh, maybe that was the end of Captain Marvel then.  I get them confused sometimes.

7 minutes ago, techbeck said:

huh, maybe that was the end of Captain Marvel then.  I get them confused sometimes.

yes it was the end credits scene to Captain Marvel where the avengers are studying the pager and she walks in