• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Blu-Ray drive not reading Blu ray disc

Technique    22

As per the ripping movie thread i have going on in another forum on this board i inserted a blu ray disc into the drive and it just keeps trying to read it a few times before giving up.

The drive is 8 years old, however that doesn't mean it's had a hammering. I actually use the other drive (a standard DVD re writer drive) way way more & is my main. I only ever really used the blu ray drive for movies which wasn't often or for the occasional iTunes audio rip.

I was able to rip a movie a few days ago. That said, both discs inserted have either never been watched or only watched once, so they're not even scratched as they were bought brand new.

How can i get it to read the disc?

xendrome    5,161
18 minutes ago, Technique said:

How can i get it to read the disc?

If it doesn't read ANY discs then the drive is bad, if it only does not read the  one disc then it's the disc.

• Like 2

Mindovermaster    1,557
3 minutes ago, xendrome said:

If it doesn't read ANY discs then the drive is bad, if it only does not read the  one disc then it's the disc.

:rolleyes: What he said.

Technique    22

And what about option C - when the drive doesn't read one disc, does read another disc (both blu-ray) and the one disc that doesn't read plays perfectly fine when put in another blu-ray drive (PS4)?

+DevTech    1,305
7 minutes ago, Technique said:

And what about option C - when the drive doesn't read one disc, does read another disc (both blu-ray) and the one disc that doesn't read plays perfectly fine when put in another blu-ray drive (PS4)?

Option C is everything not yet considered....

- Flaky borderline drive

- Flaky borderline disc

- Region code

- Copy protection

- O/S and/or software issues

- ?

+DevTech    1,305

Inspect disc carefully

- hold up to bright light

- look for scratches and imperfections on BOTH sides of disc

- note that disc is more vulnerable to scratches on the label side

then use isopropyl alcohol (99%) with a microfiber cloth to clean disc

- rub in a radial motion back and forth between edge and center, going around the disc

NinjaGinger    194

If it turns out to be anything other than the drive being knackered, Try running it with the autorun diabled. Just hole the shift key until it works. Disables most copy proptection that way. But dont tell anyone, especially SONY.

• Haha 1

Technique    22

Well i kept trying and trying and trying. Restarted my PC, still didn't work. Drive in and out in and out still didn't work.

Connected up the external HDD while at the same time opening the drive and then closing it. Probably absolute pure coincidence but it then showed up in My Computer so i quickly ripped it before it decided it no longer existed :)

Mindovermaster    1,557

I'd still get that checked out. See if the player is bad or the disc.