Trouble for PC novice

Me and my son put together a PC in July with components from Newegg. He has been gaming ever sense and today it just shut down in the middle of use. It will not turn back on. The lights come on but no fans. Not sure on where to start what the problem is. I think it might be the psu but I need help

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Well standard troubleshooting for a computer would be the following:

1. Unplug everything except one drive (HDD, SDD) including optical drive.
  2. Take out the RAM and only run with one stick at a time (switching them out each time to a different DIMM if you have more then one).
  3. Physically check that all the components are seated (if necessary, remove and re-seat them as needed.

PSU's are not very expensive, perhaps buy another one and see if the system boots, if so since it was the summer when you put this altogether, then you should have no problem getting an RMA and replacing the bad unit.

I suspect overheating, but what jnelson said above, we don't know yet until you try his suggestions.

problem with GPU

1)pull out mb,cpu,ram and PSU

2)assemble it back on clean desk

3)connect hdmi to internal vga card if available

4)start it on

5)see image or hear beeps

6)how many beeps?

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Well standard troubleshooting for a computer would be the following:

1. Unplug everything except one drive (HDD, SDD) including optical drive.
  2. Take out the RAM and only run with one stick at a time (switching them out each time to a different DIMM if you have more then one).
  3. Physically check that all the components are seated (if necessary, remove and re-seat them as needed.

PSU's are not very expensive, perhaps buy another one and see if the system boots, if so since it was the summer when you put this altogether, then you should have no problem getting an RMA and replacing the bad unit.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I suspect overheating, but what jnelson said above, we don't know yet until you try his suggestions.

30 minutes ago, Marujan said:

problem with GPU

1)pull out mb,cpu,ram and PSU

2)assemble it back on clean desk

3)connect hdmi to internal vga card if available

4)start it on

5)see image or hear beeps

6)how many beeps?

All good steps, but you all missed Step 1:

Give us a complete list of your system specs with components and model numbers and any BIOS settings different from standard such as overclocking.

2 hours ago, RJDC said:

Me and my son put together a PC in July with components from Newegg. He has been gaming ever sense and today it just shut down in the middle of use. It will not turn back on. The lights come on but no fans. Not sure on where to start what the problem is. I think it might be the psu but I need help

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Give us a complete list of your system specs:

- components and model numbers

- any BIOS settings different from standard such as overclocking

Make sure you have a tiny speaker connected to the mobo on the tiny pins where you connect the Power and Reset switches

Note to helpers:

Taking the mobo out of the case is an important diagnostic step, but there is a list of useful steps before that.

1. reset the CMOS! Power line glitches, lightning storms etc can corrupt the BIOS memory preventing boot

2. there is an INSANE trend to save a penny and not have a BEEP SPEAKER in the MAJORITY of modern builds... Sometimes there is an on-board LED to compensate for this

3. And REMEMBER that modern mobo has a TINY COMPUTER in it to do diagnostics and gate the 40+ AMPS to the CPU! So testing mobo with ZERO RAM in it will deliver BEEP CODES

33 minutes ago, DevTech said:

All good steps, but you all missed Step 1:

Give us a complete list of your system specs with components and model numbers and any BIOS settings different from standard such as overclocking.

Yes, but I don't think a 1080 vs a 1060 is going to matter much. But yeah, that would help as well...

3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yes, but I don't think a 1080 vs a 1060 is going to matter much. But yeah, that would help as well...

One day, young grasshopper, I may no longer be around...

1. Brand and model of mobo gives us ability to download pdf manual and to verify RAM, CPU etc compat, BEEP CODES, etc

2. CPU and cooler info speaks to overheating and power requirements

3. GPU card provides info on power usage, heating, and card supply via PCIe buss or external connector

4. Power supply size, brand, model tells if correct PSU was selected, and brand can suggest longevity

5. etc.