DIY - Homebuilt 'Hue Lightstrip'

I have a big passion for everything smart and am slowly making more and more of my home 'smart'

I started off with a few Philips Hue bulbs and whilst they still work a treat, I wanted to look for a cheaper solution. I did some digging online and found a few components to make my own 'Hue Lightstrip' and thought I'd share. 

Skill level - low (I was able to do this in about 10 mins)

Cost - Around $30

So here's a list of the bits that I bought, I used AliExpress because it was just so cheap.

• LED Lightstrip - $6.40 I  went with RGB with warm white because I wanted to be able to use it without all the colours too. This for a 5m roll
  • Zigbee Controller - $21 The most expensive bit of the setup but it has all the brain
  • AC Adaptor - $6 Something to power the whole thing.

Given AliExpress, it did take a few weeks to arrive. See pictures below

controller.thumb.jpg.2c5803902c51738663fef35db82b04ca.jpg

Controller was a little white box about the size of a credit card albeit a little thicker. 

leds.thumb.jpg.f22a5069a6f27eab4c1e58c61eee31c6.jpg

And the LEDs. When you buy, there are a few options (backing colour etc). I went with a non-waterproof version, because it wasn't something that I thought was needed. I found that the non-waterproof lacked the plastic coating that you find with the Philips Hue strips, which makes these a little less 'finished' If buy more in the future, I'll go for the IP65 ones. 

Now the fun part. The LED strip is nicely finished at either end, which I stripped and inserted into the appropriate insert on the controller. Took all of about 5/6 minutes. 

Searched for the new light in the Hue app and presto. All working, I've got a video below.

You can see it all works pretty well. It unfortunately can't do cold white lights, but that's not a big deal for me. 

I'm going to be setting this up around my home office for when I watch films or play games. 

So there you have it, Hue like lightstrips for  less than half the price (I think). All completely compatible with the Hue bridge, Alexa or whatever home assistant you have. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Very cool, but I urge you to look at Koogeek stuff on Amazon.  Much cheaper than Hue, full compatibility with Google, Apple and Amazon.

I bought a few Hue bulbs when I started off and found them significantly discounted. I'm now starting to look at other brands as smart home stuff becomes more available. 

• Like 1

i've got lots of smart items from an ever expanding array of companies all run through google (im loving the home hub in the kitchen to display light controls) and IFTTT.

as for the controller I use and would always recommend Sonoff WiFi Wireless Remote Control Smart Switch Module's they are only £5

Although it cannot be directly controlled by hue, it does work over wifi and google or alexa and IFTTT

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

i've got lots of smart items from an ever expanding array of companies all run through google (im loving the home hub in the kitchen to display light controls) and IFTTT.

as for the controller I use and would always recommend Sonoff WiFi Wireless Remote Control Smart Switch Module's they are only £5

Although it cannot be directly controlled by hue, it does work over wifi and google or alexa and IFTTT

Ah yeah, how're you finding the Home Hub? Anything that you'd want for Gen2?

That's super cheap, I'm looking at doing more of of my own stuff over the coming months so will keep you guys posted 😛

Hopefully over Xmas, looking to build a basic home automation hub/screen/controller using a Fire Tablet 7. 

Nice post, I might build something similar based on the price.

I have a home hub as well which I got when it was on offer over black Friday/tech Monday week/month, and in answer to your question for gen2;

• A built-in camera for Duo calls
  • A better speaker with more bass, I have a Google Home and a Mini and with all 3 together in the same room it sounds great as the Home is quite heavy on the bass side
  • Better integration with Assistant. I have a shopping list on my home hub, but I can't ask assistant to show my list; I have to navigate to Services under the Home app or go to shopping.google.com 
  • Bigger screen

edit: i ve just seen they do a led wifi controller too :) so i may give it a try 

As for the hub is very nice to use.It is excellent as a (expensive) digital photo frame & The kids love it. 6 months of youtube premium included is nice too. I dont think its worth £140 tho do the current limitations. So i'm glad i got it at £99 which is definitely worth the  money. 

this the hub needs to change

The speaker is its weakest point lacking volume levels and deep bass, I used to have a google home where the hub is now and i can notice the difference.

-When asking for a song it would be much better if it could find out the song on Youtube premium (as it does now) but play the video instead of just audio.

-be able to use the smart home controls as in the app not just the lights as it is now.

-more use of the screen (ive paid ewxtra for it use it!)

@Daniel F.I may take a look at those products. Thanks. 

@spikey_richieThe camera thing is difficult, you'll have people who don't want a camera for privacy (one of the complaints with the Amazon Show) and those that do! May be a model with and without?

Thanks guys!

ive not missed the camera as i rarely use Duo and never use skype. I dont think its as big a feature its made out to be? 

9 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

ive not missed the camera as i rarely use Duo and never use skype. I dont think its as big a feature its made out to be? 

Yeah I don't think the camera would work too well, given that the product is meant to be static (I think).

If the product was more mobile, like a tablet. I'd prefer it if it had a camera.

I've tried a Duo call to mobile with a friend and we can see him just fine, it's just a shame he can't see us. But then I guess I have my 'phone for that, so I could always Duo call him from there.

2 hours ago, Daniel F. said:

and the fact that the screen is tilted upwards so you'd get a nice view of the ceiling lol

it's not inclined *that* much :)

On 12/19/2018 at 1:24 PM, spikey_richie said:

it's not inclined *that* much :)

Well ok that might be a slight over exaggeration ;) but with it being on the kitchen side and me sat at the kitchen table you defiantly wouldn't be seeing much of my face...