• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Best cpu for gtx 1070

killer0pro    4

Hello, am using gtx 1070, with i5-6600k not oc. Bought used one for cheap, but now looking for something better as offten it bottleneck my gpu especially in cpu intensive games, my mobo is asus z170-p. Am not giving any budget, but need just something that won't bother gpu in any game anymore. 

Mindovermaster    1,644

6600K should be enough for any game. Looks like you need to up your GPU, not your CPU.

sc302    1,643

are you pegging your cpu or your gpu?   Are you sure you are pegging your cpu and not both your cpu and gpu?  I would think it would be both, not the cpu.  

I would look at your load on both gpu and cpu (use gpuz to determine gpu load).  You may be better off with a new gpu.

If you are stuck on processor as being your bottleneck....IMO, get a better motherboard and processor (not just processor).  Fast gaming motherboards have the bandwidth/lanes to handle the transactions between the cpu and gpu.  

Maybe a ROG strix z390-E or the ROG Maximus XI Code and a 8700k or 8600k processor.  Plenty fast.  

+DevTech    1,373
On 12/14/2018 at 7:25 AM, killer0pro said:

Hello, am using gtx 1070, with i5-6600k not oc. Bought used one for cheap, but now looking for something better as offten it bottleneck my gpu especially in cpu intensive games, my mobo is asus z170-p. Am not giving any budget, but need just something that won't bother gpu in any game anymore. 

In the vast majority of cases, it simply does not matter if GPU is bottlenecked by CPU since ultimately the GPU does all the work. It may be counter-intuitive but upgrading to a 1080 ti or 2080 ti will give more "headroom" than a CPU upgrade. The CPU will just continue to "bottleneck" a faster user experience!

In cases of some CPU intensive massive online games, after upgrading GPU, the RAM becomes more important since that type of game does a lot of RAM buffering.

• Like 1

killer0pro    4

Am not planing to spend lot of money right now on gaming mobos and new gpus. Msi afterburner shows while cpu load less than 100% gpu load is 99% and all works fine, but as soon as i get in some place with lot of detail cpu load goes to 100% and gpu load drops to 50-70% then fps drop to.

Daniel F.    535

yeah test whether your cpu limited when playing your fav games. Aslong you can see that your slightly limited by drops. Unfortunately the cost of a new intel cpu is stupidly high and the performance is dependant on your mobo im afraid .

If your on a budget have you thought AMD? A ryzen 5 2600 is the best budget cpu atm and can be fitted to a cheep B450 mobo for  excellent performance in games 

Steven P.    12,112
4 hours ago, killer0pro said:

Am not planing to spend lot of money right now on gaming mobos and new gpus. Msi afterburner shows while cpu load less than 100% gpu load is 99% and all works fine, but as soon as i get in some place with lot of detail cpu load goes to 100% and gpu load drops to 50-70% then fps drop to.

How much RAM do you have?

Do you exit your browser before you start a game (seriously look at Chrome taking up 65% of 16GB of memory in the task manager, and some if you let it run in the background when exiting it).

I always close off the browser (do not allow to run in background either) before starting Quake Champions, and I upgraded from 16GB to 32GB last week which helped a lot.

My system: (i7-8700, 32GB 4x8 2666MHz Samsung DDR4 (timings are 19 19 19 43 default) with a 1060 6GB it is a Dell XPS 8930). I get between 80-100fps but it drops quite a bit on multiple players/weapons fire in the same scene.

• Like 1

+DevTech    1,373
4 hours ago, killer0pro said:

Your CPU, i5-6600K is very unlikely source of the bottleneck so I suspect you are reading something wrong...

1. How much RAM do you have? (I suspect this is your real bottleneck)

2. What game are you seeing the CPU pegged at 100% on??

Daniel F.    535

and its a K get a nice 120/240 aio and overclock it to at least 4.5ghz then it remove any cpu bottle neck

killer0pro    4

Yes i always close browser. Have 16gb of ram. Played shadow of tomb raider almost all max, and in some towns, like in prolouge have cpu loaded to max and gpu working only on half, made me have in that place 40fps. 

sc302    1,643

If I remember I will try to throw rise on my system to see if any off loads to processor.  I have a 1080 with high end gaming board, 64gb of memory, 8800k, and a 960 pro ssd. 

I’ll only check to see if cpu gets loaded as performance will be very different.  I can run everything at max resolution and usually get triple digit frame rates.   My gpu fans have yet to spin up outside of testing.  

A system are components in totality, we aren’t in the 90s where we can easily point fingers to one component or another.  The entire system has to be taken into account. “Information” lanes need to be understood and taken into account as a potential bottle neck. 

This may help you understand that your motherboard may be a bottleneck and why you could be experiencing a processor spike. 

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/pci-express1.htm

Edit:  Looking at your specs more closely, I would have to go with GPU is your issue not processor.  But it would be interesting to see what that processor is doing and what the harddrive is doing, when your system goes from gpu to cpu..I would also like to see temps on your gpu to see if it is failing over to cpu to keep temps down (not that I have heard of this happening or even know if it is capable of doing this, just a theory at this point).  

Jason S.    1,431

fwiw, in comparison, i recently bought an RTX 2080, and i have not experience a single slowdown in any game i've played. I'm pairing that w/ an old i7 4770k, too.

Mindovermaster    1,644

Yeah, something is amiss here. Could be a background program that is eating your CPU.

killer0pro    4

When i will be home i drop pics from games and tast manager.

sc302    1,643

Use resource monitor, it will give more info if you know how to utilize it.   Process explorer from sysinternals also helps.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sc302    1,643

with a 1080 (not ti) and a 8700k, my fps stays at 60 with the settings at ultra.  My processor never goes above 20% and my gpu memory is at 4.6GB, my GPU Fan hits about 25%, GPU load is between 90-99%, temp doesn't go above 59 C with an average at 45.

Tomb Raider uses about 20% of the processor.  IMO, get a better GPU.

• Like 1

+DevTech    1,373
1 hour ago, sc302 said:

with a 1080 (not ti) and a 8800k, my fps stays at 60 with the settings at ultra.  My processor never goes above 20% and my gpu memory is at 4.6GB, my GPU Fan hits about 25%, GPU load is between 90-99%, temp doesn't go above 59 C with an average at 45.

Tomb Raider uses about 20% of the processor.  IMO, get a better GPU.

Just home from Xmas.

That's some nice testing there.

I think we have conclusively determined that more GPU is needed!

And as always measuring things can be tricky. Maybe at the time of full GPU load something is getting offloaded to the CPU which makes the CPU look like a problem when it's actually the GPU for sure.

Overclock the crap out of the i5-6600K just for the sheer fun of it and also to prove it won't help much.

Too bad it is too late to ask Santa for that RTX 2080 this year, but avoid being naughty for a year and maybe the chip foundry at the North Pole can work overtime to flood the world with the GPUs we need!

Salty Wagyu    103

What res are you playing at? With those specs it's enough for 1080p at 60hz, more than enough actually. Unless you're playing some poorly optimized game?

game_over    784

Tomb Raider is a well-known CPU hog... If this is the only game where this happens, then it's the game that is to blame.

I use a 6600k with a 1080p and play most games on max at 1440p or higher and have never known this CPU to bottleneck.

Astra.Xtreme    2,619

There's only a few poorly optimized games out there that overly strain the CPU.  There are many benchmarks out there that show only a few FPS difference between an i3 and an i9.  You can OC your CPU and see if it makes a difference, which is an easy way to get your question answered.

The CPU and RAM are by far the fastest components in a PC, so it's doubtful either of those will be bottlenecks.

• Like 1

+DevTech    1,373
On 12/19/2018 at 8:24 AM, killer0pro said:

Yes i always close browser. Have 16gb of ram. Played shadow of tomb raider almost all max, and in some towns, like in prolouge have cpu loaded to max and gpu working only on half, made me have in that place 40fps. 

On 12/19/2018 at 9:50 AM, killer0pro said:

When i will be home i drop pics from games and tast manager.

You should try hard to imagine how you are imaging the issue wrong.

You are visualizing a pipeline where the CPU is filling the needs of the GPU and when you see a GPU that is not 100% and a CPU that is 100% you are concluding that you need a faster CPU to keep the pipeline full.

So when literally everyone here says that you have a GPU problem, not a CPU problem you probably think we are all crazy.

Your imagination of what is going on is far too simplistic and might have been a useful model for an old 8 bit CPU and GPU but modern GPUs are massively parallel compute engines with so many pathways happening at the same time that a diagram of what is going on would be very complex.

You could get an idea of the complexity by running a graphics debugger:

https://renderdoc.org

renderdoc_screen1.thumb.jpg.e08b9619ca99db0e33298dd28d450e91.jpg

and who knows, you might discover a bug worth reporting to the game developers!

killer0pro    4

Ok thanks for all the answers. I never did oc, so dont wanna risk, also not plan to buy alot of new stuff in next year, am ok with what i have right now, just wanted find out about those fps drops.

+DevTech    1,373
On 12/29/2018 at 3:42 AM, killer0pro said:

Ok thanks for all the answers. I never did oc, so dont wanna risk, also not plan to buy alot of new stuff in next year, am ok with what i have right now, just wanted find out about those fps drops.

FWIW, you have an oveclocking CPU.

As long as you don't increase CPU Voltage, there is NO risk to trying some overclocking if you wanted some hardware fun for zero money!

I turn "Load Line Calibration" up to max on ALL my mobos, but it is a big help to keep power stable to CPU when overclocking with ZERO voltage boost. Some CPUs need a slight voltage nudge, but many respond quite well at the very safe stock voltage to no harm to try it.

Also, waste of time to overclock RAM so lock it at a stock speed.

So, NO RISK: keep stock voltage, keep RAM slow, increase CPU speed a bit, run Prime95, if it works, increase a bit more, it it glitches, back it off a bit and then maybe you have a safe faster computer for ZERO COST (and solve the mystery of this thread at the same time!)

• Thanks 1