New build!!

New home server build! Low power, whisper quiet and powered on 24/7. :punk::jump:

AMD Athlon 200GE based system, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 60GB SSD, 1.65TB HDD storage (1TB + 650GB), Corsair 450W power supply. Onboard LAN plus additional TP-Link NIC, both Realtek chipsets.

Running Windows 10 Pro. Didn't want Linux as a base as I'm just a beginner in Linux. Windows, I know. If anything goes wrong, I can deal with it easily.

Hyper-V configured with 3 VM's as of now - OPNsense for my router, OpenMediaVault for file access and sharing across network and Ubuntu Server. Still figuring out what to run on Ubuntu. Might start with migrating Pi-hole over to this VM from my RPi so that I can use that Pi for something else. Also serving music to my RPi based music player in the living room and any other device via Samba shares. I had initially planned to also host my personal website from home, but after reading about the risks (DDoS especially) I've decided not to and continue paying for professional hosting.

Shout out to @BudMan through whom I got to know about pfSense. Otherwise I would have never known that it was even possible to basically make your own router! I finally went with OPNsense though (fork of pfSense) as I simply love the GUI. Mouth opened and fell to the floor looking at the feature set of these router operating systems! Correctly configured, they can seriously blow the pants off any commercially available home router!

In all my research on the router OS I did see practically everyone recommending Intel network cards as they work very well with FreeBSD (the base OS of pfSense and OPNsense). But so far, I have had zero issues with my Realtek based NIC's. I've yet to stress test the network though, so will then see how these NIC's fare compared to Intel. But currently, only me and my wife are pushing gig on the LAN, other family members usage is very low.

Sorry dude not going to get any help from me if your using that distro that will not be named by me.. Fork is not the term I would use for what they did ;)

But yes the power of a firewall/router distro makes the soho stuff you get off the shelf look like some preschool level toy...   Like some duplo blocks compared to mindstorm/technic kits ;)

As to hosting stuff off your home connection - it almost never makes sense to do such a thing.. Other than the I can factor, if for your own personal access sort of thing...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Sorry dude not going to get any help from me if your using that distro that will not be named by me.. Fork is not the term I would use for what they did ;)

Genuinely curious, what did they do? From what I've read, they forked it because Netgate took over and they wanted it to be completely free and open source. Netgate of course still provides pfSense for free, but I've also read a rumour that they might stop doing that in the future to promote the sales of their dedicated devices.

Not trying to start a war or anything, just curious! At the end of the day, people can and should use whatever they like. :)

Do your own research - I don't care enough about that distro I will not name to even comment on it to be honest.. ;)

Not sure where your reading these rumors - but NO there is no plans to stop FREE pfsense.. Let me guess on who starts such FUD...

Yeah your free to use what you want, just not going to get any help from me.. While on the other hand I have been using pfsense for like 10 years...  Both home and professionally..