Yahoo

Just now, Bruinator said:

Does anyone know how to contact yahoo and actually talk to someone?

No idea! But if you find out, also let me know how you can speak to a human at Google :)

Unless you have a paid for support agreement, think you're out of luck for speaking to an actual person. Best bet is reaching out via Twitter. (@YahooCare)

Edit - may also be useful for us to know, what Yahoo has to do with your PC being hacked.

4 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Unless you have a paid for support agreement, think you're out of luck for speaking to an actual person. Best bet is reaching out via Twitter. (@YahooCare)

Edit - may also be useful for us to know, what Yahoo has to do with your PC being hacked.

changing all passwords

1 minute ago, Bruinator said:

changing all passwords

Always a good start if you've been hacked 😛

Still not sure how that relates to Yahoo 😐

3 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

changing all passwords

You should be able to change your passwords without Yahoo's intervention, no? "Forgot password" and enter the necessary security information to prove it is you and your account. Then change the password.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank B. said:

Sounds to me like someone guessed OP's Yahoo account password and changed it.

If that's the case, let's hope they haven't changed any of the recovery information yet!

Yahoo is all set. I canceled my Visa and MC, I changed my yahoo pw, I released and renewed my ip on my router, I installed a new copy of win 10 on this PC, do i need to do my desktop pc as well? I have to change my amazon pw. Ebay, which is how I found out someone hacked me, either the pc itself or by ebay, as the bastard changed something on there, I canceled my ebay account and paypal.

Sorry for rambling on but this has never happened to me before. Plz let me know if i might be forgetting something.

thx

54 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

No idea! But if you find out, also let me know how you can speak to a human at Google :)

There are no humans at Google.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Yahoo is all set. I canceled my Visa and MC, I changed my yahoo pw, I released and renewed my ip on my router, I installed a new copy of win 10 on this PC, do i need to do my desktop pc as well? I have to change my amazon pw. Ebay, which is how I found out someone hacked me, either the pc itself or by ebay, as the bastard changed something on there, I canceled my ebay account and paypal.

Sorry for rambling on but this has never happened to me before. Plz let me know if i might be forgetting something.

thx

Looks like you've done the right things

• Passwords changed
  • Payment cards cancelled
  • Update any password recovery information? (like secret Q&A, mobile numbers or secondary email addresses)
  • I'd do a malware scan too to make sure there's nothing malicious left behind. 

I saw your other topic re. being hacked. One thing in addition to the things above is to try and figure out how it happened so something similar doesn't happen again (dodgy link in an email, downloading something you shouldn't have etc)

6 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Looks like you've done the right things

• Passwords changed
  • Payment cards cancelled
  • Update any password recovery information? (like secret Q&A, mobile numbers or secondary email addresses)
  • I'd do a malware scan too to make sure there's nothing malicious left behind. 

I saw your other topic re. being hacked. One thing in addition to the things above is to try and figure out how it happened so something similar doesn't happen again (dodgy link in an email, downloading something you shouldn't have etc)

Well, someone on another forum told me to just use windows defender and windows firewall as a few microtrend, KIS 2019 and others was locking up me laptop.

Do i need to reinstall the OS on my desktop or do u think it is ok? Also, what do i need to do about cell phone?

thx

4 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Well, someone on another forum told me to just use windows defender and windows firewall as a few microtrend, KIS 2019 and others was locking up me laptop.

Do i need to reinstall the OS on my desktop or do u think it is ok?

Install Malwarebytes and use its on-demand scan. Make sure you disable any of the real-time stuff. You'd have to pay for it after 2 weeks, but the on-demand scanning is free for personal use. Keep MBAM around as a backup malware scanner, and use it every couple weeks to check for stuff that got past Defender. Defender is decent, especially since it's included with Windows, but no antivirus/antimalware is foolproof.

1 minute ago, Bruinator said:

Do i need to reinstall the OS on my desktop or do u think it is ok?

I've been using Windows Defender for years and I've never had any issues. As I said earlier, it will depend on how you managed to get 'hacked' in the first place. 

A wipe may be overkill for a PC that didn't start the issue, but if you want to be overly cautious, go for it. I'd start with a malware scan using something like Malwarebytes or BitDefender. I'm sure others on here could recommend other bits of software too

Just now, exotoxic said:

What are your passwords like?? All the same, easy to guess or long random junk??

pw's were pretty complex but I changed the anyways.

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

I've been using Windows Defender for years and I've never had any issues. As I said earlier, it will depend on how you managed to get 'hacked' in the first place. 

A wipe may be overkill for a PC that didn't start the issue, but if you want to be overly cautious, go for it. I'd start with a malware scan using something like Malwarebytes or BitDefender. I'm sure others on here could recommend other bits of software too

yes, download mbam now.

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

It is either my laptop was hacked or my ebay account. they were able to order something on ebay which i had closed my ebay account.

25 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

So... your laptop wasn't hacked.

like i said ebay or laptop. i do not know how to tell the difference. Better to be safe than sorry. Guys, do u think my desktop is ok or do u recommend reinstall os on that as well?