• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Server recommendations!

patseguin    1,265

My business is running a fairly old server with Windows Server 2008 on it. I'm looking to upgrade to a new Dell server and am looking for recommendations.

Our server basically only needs to store files and run a FIleMaker Pro database and a SQL Express database. Not much else other than those things. We have 5 workstations that connect using an AD domain. We use hosted Exchange for email so the server won't need to do that.

I'm looking at a Dell T130 server and am thinking about a RAID1 configuration. That plus an external backup that I can keep offsite should be good I think.

I am configuring it with Windows Server 2016. There is an "essentials" version which is half the money but I'm not sure if I do that or not. DOes Server 2016 include any CAL's or will I need to purchase a CAL for every workstation that is connecting?

Anything else I should be taking into consideration? I'm very computer savvy and build my own systems, but I know close to NOTHING about servers and server OS's.

Mindovermaster    1,696

Servers are no different than computers. It's just the hardware is a little different.

Paging @BudMan

patseguin    1,265
2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Servers are no different than computers. It's just the hardware is a little different.

Paging @BudMan

Yeah true. It's the OS that is the issue for me. I've had to have people help me configure Server 2008 because it's so complicated. Hopefully 2016 is a little easier to set up for everyday Joe's.

Mindovermaster    1,696
21 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Yeah true. It's the OS that is the issue for me. I've had to have people help me configure Server 2008 because it's so complicated. Hopefully 2016 is a little easier to set up for everyday Joe's.

I don't use Windows Server myself, but I can see the confusion ;) 

patseguin    1,265

EVen though my server is nearly 10 years old, the hardware seems fine and we have no performance issues. I wonder if I can just buy Windows Server 2016 64-bit and install it rather than buy a whole new server right now...

c.grz    380

Ten years old? I wouldn't waste time updating the OS on that server.  Server Essentials includes 25 user CALS.

Had a client using 2008 SBS, I migrated them to an HP MicroServer running 2016 Essentials and put their email in "the cloud". They're happily moving along.

+DevTech    1,443

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/10/02/windows-server-2019-now-generally-available/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/get-started-19

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/sys-reqs-19

Processor

Processor performance depends not only on the clock frequency of the processor, but also on the number of processor cores and the size of the processor cache. The following are the processor requirements for this product:

Minimum:

1.4 GHz 64-bit processor

Compatible with x64 instruction set

Supports NX and DEP

Supports CMPXCHG16b, LAHF/SAHF, and PrefetchW

Supports Second Level Address Translation (EPT or NPT)

Coreinfo is a tool you can use to confirm which of these capabilities your CPU has.

RAM

The following are the estimated RAM requirements for this product:

Minimum:

512 MB (2 GB for Server with Desktop Experience installation option)

ECC (Error Correcting Code) type or similar technology, for physical host deployments

sc302    1,662

all a server is, is a computer that runs a server os.  It can be any computer for that matter.  The main difference is that server computers have built in redundancies and can have capabilities of more processors.  

I believe all server standard versions offer 5 cals as the default license structure and has the ability for up to 2 simultaneous rdp sessions.  Look at refurbished as they will have the same warranty and are usually cheaper than new units.  The downside is that you will have to deal with whatever is on the refurb site, you cannot customize too much.  You will more than likely have to purchase windows licensing as well.  They have a t330 with dual drives starting at $1264.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=2804&c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&dgc=IR&cid=260177&lid=467745&~ck=mn

nekrosoft13    700
On 12/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, patseguin said:

its 2019 now

Jason S.    1,463

does Essentials allow joining to a domain? idk, never used it. If this is your 'main' server, i'd suggest buying Standard.

it seems that you want this server to last another 10yrs... i'd scrape together every dollar you can and get enough hardware to last that long.

fwiw - that T130 is pretty limiting... that said, i just configured a decent server for $3500, which includes 5yrs of ProSupport. If there's one thing i've learned over the years, pay up front for Dell's support! well worth it!

+InsaneNutter    1,278
2 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

does Essentials allow joining to a domain? idk, never used it. If this is your 'main' server, i'd suggest buying Standard.

When setting Essentials up you have the option to join a domain for the purpose of migration from what I remember. However once done it has to be the primary domain controller.