• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Microsoft Hardware Becoming Dirty and Sticky

Sir Topham Hatt    250

I've generally stuck with MS hardware for the past few years.

At the moment for my HTPC I have an Arc keyboard and mouse. The keyboard is great as it fits straight in my drawer.

But I've found after a while, the mouse gets really dirty. I guess it's just dirt from hands and sweat, not nice, but it seems the longer it goes on, the quicker it happens.

When I come to clean it, it seems to not clean. It's almost like the mouse has been covered with some sort of gripping fluid from the factory which is now coming off.

Apart from cleaning more often, is there something I can do? I'm sure I read a few years back that it's something that happens with a lot of MS hardware.

Or is there another set I could look at that'll last? Although this set is about 4 years old I guess.

Brandon H    2,632

what are you using to clean the grime off the mouse? soap/water, alcohol, something else? might just need something a bit stronger.

I used the same keyboard/mouse combo for about 6 years on my HTPC before recently switching to an air mouse and can't say I noticed my mouse getting dirty in the way you describe so your environment may be a variable in it. You're not a smoker or anything are you? that can create grime and fading in electronics.

edit: here's the combo I've used if you're interested

https://secure.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-combo-mk520?crid=1759

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    1,698

Might need some kind of sealent. As you scraped off  the top layer of protection.

But, you might just want to get newer hardware. Throw away the old grimey thing.

Sir Topham Hatt    250

Hmm.

Non smoker but the room does have an open fireplace in it.

Been using just water and soap yeah but perhaps my sponge rubbing did take off the layer round the outside so it'll get dirty quicker.

Same thing happens with my car steering wheel! But then that is nearly 15 years old now. 

+DevTech    1,445
On 12/23/2018 at 12:23 PM, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Hmm.

Non smoker but the room does have an open fireplace in it.

Been using just water and soap yeah but perhaps my sponge rubbing did take off the layer round the outside so it'll get dirty quicker.

Same thing happens with my car steering wheel! But then that is nearly 15 years old now. 

Car Steering Wheel: use a Vinyl rejuvenater such as "Armor All"

General Device cleaning: Distilled water and microfibre cloth

99% Alcohol with microfibre cloth, followed by distilled water for stubborn stuff

WD-40 Lubricant (really, it's a cleaner too!), followed by 99% Alcohol, followed by distilled water for the odd stuff

I've used so many brands, found no correlation to Microsoft hardware, but there was a specific period in time when a certain type of surface you describe was popular, and it may not be "cleanable"