• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

IP Phone... but no wired internet. Ideas?

SoCalRox    246

I am going to be working from home for a while, and I will be receiving a IP Phone as part of my WFH package. The problem is- I don't have a wired internet. Everything is wireless. I do have ports on the router, but it is not even close to where I'll have my desk. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make this work? I am wondering if I can grab an old laptop/desktop, share its internet, and connect the IP phone to the old computer? 

xendrome    5,342

Wireless Bridge.

Tech Geek Alex    26

I use the Netgear AC750 (EX3700) range extender. It will connect to your wifi and has an ethernet port that can be programmed to be used for your IP phone.  Its less then $100 (US)  

Works well and is easy to configure.  That would be my suggestion.  

• Like 1

Brandon H    2,758

Wireless AP should do what you need :)

Amazon Search for Wireless Access Point

most multi-port wireless APs are over expensive IMO though; if you only need 1 ethernet port then you could do what I've done and get a Wireless Extender and turn of the wifi repeater mode and just use the ETH port on it

Amazon Search for Wireless Extender

NETGEAR AC750 WiFi Range Extender (EX3700-100NAS)

SoCalRox    246

Could I connect an old, unused router to a computer using WiFi and share the internet to the router, and use the ethernet post from that? I would rather not spend money if I can avoid it.

+fusi0n    1,959
1 minute ago, SoCalRox said:

Could I connect an old, unused router to a computer using WiFi and share the internet to the router, and use the ethernet post from that? I would rather not spend money if I can avoid it.

You can do that, but your stability but not be as good as you want it. You're better off getting a wifi bridge or just forwarding that number to your cell phone. Also, I know a lot of VOIP providers offer desktop software that you can use as a softphone on your computer. Might be worth looking into that. 

SoCalRox    246

I have considered placing the IP phone from my employer next to my modem/router and just forwarding it to my cell. Since this is the corporate phone I don't know if they have the software supported or not.

Nick H.    9,588
15 minutes ago, SoCalRox said:

I have considered placing the IP phone from my employer next to my modem/router and just forwarding it to my cell. Since this is the corporate phone I don't know if they have the software supported or not.

I think almost all phones support call forwarding, don't they? I know the IP phones that we've had in all the offices I've worked in have supported call forwarding.

SoCalRox    246

I am pretty sure these do- I have been out for almost 8 months so I don't recall much about those phones. I get so very few calls (I am behind the scenes so not much need for people to call me and when they do, I try to be surly so they don't call back... LOL!!! j/k) that it isn't worth much effort to invest time or money into it.

+Fahim S.    1,085

from what I see you have some options here:

1. Take a wire from where the router is and where you will work.
  2. Use a 'wired' solution like homeplugs
  3. Use some sort of wireless bridging solution
  4. Don't use the IP Phone and divert your calls to something which is closer to hand.
  5. Ask your employer if they have a 'soft' IP Phone you can use (software running on your desktop/laptop that connects to their system)

It's odd that they are going to give you an IP Phone and it plug straight into your internet connection.  Typically corporate IP Phones are run behind firewalls so you would really want it behind the VPN solution your organisation uses.

• Like 1

DevTech    1,517
10 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

from what I see you have some options here:

1. Take a wire from where the router is and where you will work.
  2. Use a 'wired' solution like homeplugs
  3. Use some sort of wireless bridging solution
  4. Don't use the IP Phone and divert your calls to something which is closer to hand.
  5. Ask your employer if they have a 'soft' IP Phone you can use (software running on your desktop/laptop that connects to their system)

It's odd that they are going to give you an IP Phone and it plug straight into your internet connection.  Typically corporate IP Phones are run behind firewalls so you would really want it behind the VPN solution your organisation uses.

You were the victim of a Drive-By Problem Solving!

The post that prompted your comment has been removed, leaving your bare response to an old issue looking slightly odd. I remember the post because he had only 1 post and his response seemed like an effort to bring up his post count rather than provide any community contribution.

That all being said, I skimmed the thread and you have nailed the most obvious solution dead on target. WIRES! A temp wire run for a temp situation is perfect at minimal cost and minimal config and maximum functionality.

So in that sense, the thread is valuable because it illustrates that far too many people these days have a huge blind spot about WiFi as some sort of "modern default replacement for a reliable wire" without employing ANY thought process to it at all.

SoCalRox    246

Thanks for the help. I don't see WiFi as a replacement for cabling- I have seen too many things which do need cabling still. But... I have to work with what I have here, and there is no place to plug the phone in. So, it'll eventually be plugged into the router, hidden behind out TV, and call forwarding will have to send it to my cell because the router is a bit of a distance from my desk.