Are you with Windows 10 or Windows 7?

"no i'm with Linux/Mac/Windows XP etc" ... *pat on head* good for you little Jimmy, now run along :)

I'm just wondering how many of you are still with Windows 7 and if so then why you haven't made the move to Windows 10?

I am personally still on Windows 7 64bit Pro for both my PC and laptop. In fact i actually bought the laptop as at the time they were phasing Windows 7 out and i snapped it up before you could no longer get Win7 on a laptop (I wanted a laptop but would've actually bought one a bit later).

Regards the laptop, i needed it for car diagnostics and the software i had wouldn't run on Windows 8 so i actually needed it to be Windows 7.

I love the look of Windows 7. For mobile phones i always hated those Nokia Windows phones with all those stupid squares so when Windows 8 came out i threw up a little and carried on with life.

Windows 10 doesn't look too be to be honest. It looks fine enough to intrigue me at least whereas Windows 8 was just horrendous. I remember there being talk in the early days of it about compatibility issues with drivers etc & i thought at the time you know what, i can't be bothered with the hassle so i'm staying as i am.

I just read a piece earlier though that stated most people are Windows 10 users these days. I don't know if that's an active choice or whether that most just accept what comes bundled with their machine.

So i guess the question is more if you're on Windows 7 like me then why?

I have Windows 7 on my old XPS notebook ... and it is fine ... everything else I have runs 10.  I still like the way 7 looks, more so than Windows 10 (though it is getting arguably better), but to be frank ... Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020.  You'll also start to see (which has already began) software/hardware that requires Windows 10.  Come January 14, 2020 .. if you're still running 7 you'll be opening yourself up to potential exploits that will not be patched.  Eventually you will not be able to install the latest software/hardware.  In other words, at some point ... it will be Windows 10, Linux or MacOS (and other little niche operating systems) ... while 8.x, 7 and XP are long relegated to the realm of unsupported/outdated software.

Yeah i'm aware that at some point my main machine will NEED to update, but for now i just think i'll settle with Windows 7 as it just works. Why fix something that aint broke?

By 2020 Windows 10 will have been out a while, i'll possibly make the switch to 10 then but then 10's replacement will probably be due out :D lol

I'm one of those weird people who didn't mind the look of 8 (or indeed of Windows Phone). I dual boot 8.1 and 10, but the former is still my main OS. I've been dual booting 8 with 7 since the Developer Preview of 8 back in 2011, and besides that horrendous cluster...truck of an update process from 8 to 8.1 via the Store, I've never had a problem with it. You may now get your pitchforks out. 😛 

17 minutes ago, Technique said:

Yeah i'm aware that at some point my main machine will NEED to update, but for now i just think i'll settle with Windows 7 as it just works. Why fix something that aint broke?

By 2020 Windows 10 will have been out a while, i'll possibly make the switch to 10 then but then 10's replacement will probably be due out :D lol

You should use whatever suits your needs and what you like.  If Windows 7 is appropriate for you ... use it.  As I mentioned in my prior post ... I still use it on my old notebook because "it ain't broke."  Now, come 2020 ... I will probably load up Linux on it (if it is still working). 

I'm not sure 10 will have a "replacement" anytime in the near future ... Microsoft, I believe, will just keep on tweaking it.  It most certainly will outlast the end of Windows 7 support.

I'm with Windows 10 on my home PC and at work.  Looking at Windows 7 now, I find it a little too glossy.  I like the direction Windows 10 is taking with the new UI elements using partial transparency and blurring.  I hated Windows 8, and couldn't run it.  When 8.1 came out I used it, but now I find Windows 10 great, especially the dark Explorer interface.

10 minutes ago, devHead said:

Looking at Windows 7 now, I find it a little too glossy. 

Funny, because when everything started going all flat icons, such as with the iPhone etc, i didn't like it. It looked kinda dated & basic.

No doubt it'll go in cycles like other fashion. Give it 10 years or so and people will be talking about how this 'new' glossy look is amazing. 10 years after that this awesome 'new' flat dull look revolutionises the game.

1 hour ago, Technique said:

"no i'm with Linux/Mac/Windows XP etc" ... *pat on head* good for you little Jimmy, now run along :)

I'm just wondering how many of you are still with Windows 7 and if so then why you haven't made the move to Windows 10?

I am personally still on Windows 7 64bit Pro for both my PC and laptop. In fact i actually bought the laptop as at the time they were phasing Windows 7 out and i snapped it up before you could no longer get Win7 on a laptop (I wanted a laptop but would've actually bought one a bit later).

Regards the laptop, i needed it for car diagnostics and the software i had wouldn't run on Windows 8 so i actually needed it to be Windows 7.

I love the look of Windows 7. For mobile phones i always hated those Nokia Windows phones with all those stupid squares so when Windows 8 came out i threw up a little and carried on with life.

Windows 10 doesn't look too be to be honest. It looks fine enough to intrigue me at least whereas Windows 8 was just horrendous. I remember there being talk in the early days of it about compatibility issues with drivers etc & i thought at the time you know what, i can't be bothered with the hassle so i'm staying as i am.

I just read a piece earlier though that stated most people are Windows 10 users these days. I don't know if that's an active choice or whether that most just accept what comes bundled with their machine.

Number of PCs on Windows 7 - none.  (This is despite all my notebooks originally shipping with it.)

Generally, the only reason why folks don't move is due to non-support of a specific piece of software OR hardware that you need (or feel you need) to get things done - that applies to any OS. (I have one notebook that did not move deeper in the testing cycle due to driver support coming to a halt for the graphics chipset - no other reason.)

A second notebook is about to come to a halt in the testing cycle for that same reason - graphics driver non-support. (My three notebooks have different drivers than each other - two are HP, and the third - from ASUS - is the only Core-i-series anything among all my hardware; however, it is three builds back due to lack of recent usage.)  All three originally came with Windows 7; however, even the notebooks that are leaving the testing pool due to graphics driver reasons are still usable where they are, even in terms of Windows 10 - so I don't need to punt and back up to Windows 7 - for any reason.

2 hours ago, Technique said:

I use the OS that is best for the job. That means many.

14 hours ago, PGHammer said:

Number of PCs on Windows 7 - none.  (This is despite all my notebooks originally shipping with it.)

Generally, the only reason why folks don't move is due to non-support of a specific piece of software OR hardware that you need (or feel you need) to get things done - that applies to any OS. (I have one notebook that did not move deeper in the testing cycle due to driver support coming to a halt for the graphics chipset - no other reason.)

A second notebook is about to come to a halt in the testing cycle for that same reason - graphics driver non-support. (My three notebooks have different drivers than each other - two are HP, and the third - from ASUS - is the only Core-i-series anything among all my hardware; however, it is three builds back due to lack of recent usage.)  All three originally came with Windows 7; however, even the notebooks that are leaving the testing pool due to graphics driver reasons are still usable where they are, even in terms of Windows 10 - so I don't need to punt and back up to Windows 7 - for any reason.

I'd probably switch out the word only for main.

Because in the case of Windows 8 it was most certainly the looks that turned me off big time. I'd rather have switched to Mac, which i'm not really a fan of. 8 just looked absolutely horrendous, all those big stupid squares all over the place. Same with those Nokia phones.

14 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I use the OS that is best for the job. That means many.

There's always one. Well done you :)

Only computer I have here, out of 8, that still has Windows on it, has Windows 7. To me, Windows 10 just flat out sucks and is dumber than a box of rocks! In the process of replacing some rather old computers. Have replaced 3 with new machines that came with Windows 10 and have tried to like it, but just can't make myself.

I know you don't want to hear this, but have replaced those 3 Windows 10 machines, and 4 others with Linux and like those machines a whole lot more now! :)

As has been stated though, use what works for you and you are correct, if it ain't broke..................

On 12/23/2018 at 11:40 AM, Technique said:

<snipped>

I use Windows 7 on my old old laptop, circa 2003, but every other computer in this house uses some flavor of Linux. Windows 7 just works. I barely ever use it, so there's really no need to change it after 2020.

Edited by Jason S.

59 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Windows 7 just works. I barely ever use it, so there's really no need to change it after 2020.

Fair point i suppose.

Your stance on updating after 2020 - would that change if you held certain documents/information on that particular machine? Obviously i'm coming from a security standpoint here.

For example, if someone got in to my Windows 7 laptop then they wouldn't really find much. A few installers, some music, a few photographs. No usernames, no passwords (because i always choose not to remember them on that machine, not to auto log in etc) - unless usernames and passwords are stored in some hidden pocket regardless of your selection to not auto-login.

So they really wouldn't get much.

However if someone got in to my desktop PC, well that's different.

I myself ran Windows 7 for a long while, I still have a copy of my install disk (Windows 7 Ultimate) in my CD collection.  But am I running it currently?

No.

I am running Windows 10 Professional on my systems, and have since Win10 came available.  I *was* running Win10 for the company I previously was working for, but since then I have remained a Windows 10 person, with a few modifications (such as Classic Shell).  That way, my system runs exactly the way *I* want it to run, no problems or complaints.

5 hours ago, Technique said:

Fair point i suppose.

Your stance on updating after 2020 - would that change if you held certain documents/information on that particular machine? Obviously i'm coming from a security standpoint here.

For example, if someone got in to my Windows 7 laptop then they wouldn't really find much. A few installers, some music, a few photographs. No usernames, no passwords (because i always choose not to remember them on that machine, not to auto log in etc) - unless usernames and passwords are stored in some hidden pocket regardless of your selection to not auto-login.

So they really wouldn't get much.

However if someone got in to my desktop PC, well that's different.

Well, exactly. I save nothing on it. I only use it to test hardware/software. If my system gets fooked up, I'll just reinstall..

It infuriated me to no end when XP went EOL and people whined here on Neowin.net and slashdot.org calling it the best OS ever. WTF? It was so bashed 13 years earlier and these are technology forums for God's sake.

I realized then people don't give a ###### about computers! It is all about phones now. Mainframes are ancient these days and the PC is the next mainframe. I LOOOVED Windows 7 when it first came out. It was what Vista supposed to be and it was the right mix of perfect gradients, fonts, real security, and supported UEFI to a limited sense and SSD TRIM command. 

I was at a crossroads in career in 2014 when I had to make a choice on trying Windows 8.1 (eventually 10 via the upgrade trendmill) or stay on 7 when I built a PC that supported XP, 7, 8.1, and 10 (God Haswel architecture at it's finest). If I became a teacher I would stick with 7 as my PC already does what I need it to do and it would stay as a hobby to play games or type lesson plans only. If I stayed in IT I would HAVE TO STICK with 8.1. I stuck in IT and held my nose and went with 8.1 and discovered Neowin.net as the owners of Stardock who made Start 8.

WIndows 8.1 and later 10 give me cool things like Hyper-V, superfast boot up with UEFI with CSM disabled (As in 7 seconds!), superior security, apps like Netflix and Hulu for my Surface if I am on the road, and so on. Windows 10 benefits me as an IT professional but I am a niche case. If I were to stay a teacher or go back to it I would not see a need for change and stick with the familiar and better looking 7 as it filled me needs just fine like the WindowsXP loyalists before me.

Times have changed and there is no need to update anymore as things in technology are server and phone based like WPA web progress apps and node.js. Sure Windows 10 supports them natively but unless you write them you run them on your phone ... not your PC. It is kind of sad really.

Windows10 for IT pros and web developers ... everyone else stays on 7 until the PC doesn't work anymore. 🙂

Both have a place in my life, but I'm not "with" either. 😉

I'm just friends with Windows 10, and work with Win 7.

my workplace is finally upgrading to Windows 10 so as of now I'm finally fully on 10

Windows 7 isn't bad and has served us well but it's coming time to move to the next offering again; don't want to create another XP situation where it's supported for WAY too long causing other issues.

Windows 10 isn't bad either and has really improved with each new build (1809 has been the one exception and they've fixed its issues by now). It's solid to use in the workplace; with the store & cortana disabled it's really not that much different to use. In fact I benefit from email and a few other things being able to use the Action Center for notifications.

The only issue I've had with using WIndows 10 at work is not with Windows itself but with Office; my workplace opted to install Office 2016 x64 instead of Office 365; I occasionally run into issues with the poor hardware acceleration in Office 2016 where the window gui freezes up and I either have to wait it out or kill the window (i've disabled hardware acceleration and it's helped but I'm told the bugs with acceleration have been fixed in newer builds available to Office 365 users)

The only problem I have with 10 is on machines with crap main drives.  Seriously.  Taking all day to update a machine isn't fun.  It just seems like the lack of major updates for 7 or 8.1 is a blessing there, though 10 runs well on them once updated.

34 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

poor hardware acceleration

It's usually entirely driver issues from what I've seen.  So, eh.  I'm not too invested in it either way.

Just now, LostCat said:

It's usually entirely driver issues from what I've seen.  So, eh.  I'm not too invested in it either way.

intel integrated UHD 620 graphics so wouldn't surprise me in the slightest

from what I've heard though Office 2016 doesn't use the Windows built in WDDM display manager but uses it's own proprietary implementation and that's why the glitchyness; future builds switched to using WDDM for hardware acceleration

Windows 10 on my Gaming Laptop and my Gaming Machine. I usually boot into Linux on both unless I'm playing games. My other main computers are Mac. Little Jimmy sounds like a badass that enjoys privacy. 

win10 latest 1809

Windows 8.1 with Start8. Main thing that put me off 10 originally was the lack of update control and the telemetry data MS was collecting - little things also got to me such as not being able to select a solid background colour of my choice and the lack of a simple image viewer (I really didn't like the new app). I know a lot of things have been changed  now but it's still not ideal. I'm somone that eagerly tried betas and couldn't wait for 98,  2000 (and even Millennium) XP, not Vista but 7.  I don't like thinking the apps I use everyday can just be changed without my approval - everything feels temporary with 10 and I don't like that. I'm in my late 30s, I don't think MS are aiming things at me anymore and thats fine - I will probably always have a version of Windows that is still supported but I'm going to look at Linux once 8.1 is no longer receives updates as I don't feel I want 10 in complete control over my hardware. It would be great if Windows had a lock down procedure that allowed you to keep everything just how you had it set up in 10 and then only receive security updates but I know thats not really practical.