• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Linux Mint] Lock Screen That Shows Notifications?

Nick H.    9,432

Hi all,

I'm running Linux Mint for about a month or so now, and I've got to say I'm loving it.

However, I'm wondering about the lock screen. I've got the time displayed, and a personal message (because why not?) What I would really like though is something similar to Windows 10 when it comes to notifications. I would like to see an icon or something for if there is a reason to unlock my screen. Primarily the applications that come to mind would be Google Chrome, Slack and maybe Hexchat (IRC).

I spoke to a friend this evening who suggested that I install a different lock screen than the default, but I need a bit more advice on the situation. Is there something that someone here uses that offers such a functionality? It's not critical but it would be nice to have.

adrynalyne    11,192
19 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Hi all,

I'm running Linux Mint for about a month or so now, and I've got to say I'm loving it.

However, I'm wondering about the lock screen. I've got the time displayed, and a personal message (because why not?) What I would really like though is something similar to Windows 10 when it comes to notifications. I would like to see an icon or something for if there is a reason to unlock my screen. Primarily the applications that come to mind would be Google Chrome, Slack and maybe Hexchat (IRC).

I spoke to a friend this evening who suggested that I install a different lock screen than the default, but I need a bit more advice on the situation. Is there something that someone here uses that offers such a functionality? It's not critical but it would be nice to have.

Gnome has lockscreen notifications but I am not aware if Linux Mint offers a Gnome spin, nor if it is exactly what you are looking for. What you are wanting likely goes deeper than a simple lockscreen replacement.

Mindovermaster    1,725
5 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Gnome has lockscreen notifications but I am not aware if Linux Mint offers a Gnome spin, nor if it is exactly what you are looking for. What you are wanting likely goes deeper than a simple lockscreen replacement.

I think you can copy the GDM DM, but to have notifications, I think you need to be in the Gnome DE...

From my memory...