• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Low volume throughout windows

+jnelsoninjax    11,800

So using Windows 10 X64 1809, and all of my sound is really low, despite the system volume being set to 100. I am using a standard 2 speaker + sub woofer, and I have to turn the speaker volume well past 50% just to be able to hear the sound. Sound is the standard Realtek with the latest drivers installed, but for some reason I do not have the option for loudness equation as I have had in previous installs. Is there anything that I can do to make the volume louder?

Buttus    1,188

just throwing this out there, but if you open the mixer, all the programs are at 100%?     i only ask because that happened to me, my computer volume was at 100% but somehow every program was at 15%

+jnelsoninjax    11,800
5 minutes ago, Buttus said:

just throwing this out there, but if you open the mixer, all the programs are at 100%?     i only ask because that happened to me, my computer volume was at 100% but somehow every program was at 15%

Yeah, I have checked that as well, and have had that same issue before.

exotoxic    680

You have checked the options in "Realtek audio console"?

+jnelsoninjax    11,800
23 minutes ago, exotoxic said:

You have checked the options in "Realtek audio console"?

Yes, everything is set to 100%, and the equalizer is set to Powerful

Nick H.    9,708

Just so I understand the situation right, you have only just moved to 1809 and the problem started then? Or has something else changed recently that could explain the issue?

Also, I assume you've checked that the cables are properly plugged in? For example with my laptop if my earphone cable comes out slightly it still sends the audio through the earphones but only at a fraction of the volume.

Microsoft BOB™ 10    877

Get Peace with Equalizer APO to boost the volume.

+jnelsoninjax    11,800
14 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Just so I understand the situation right, you have only just moved to 1809 and the problem started then? Or has something else changed recently that could explain the issue?

Also, I assume you've checked that the cables are properly plugged in? For example with my laptop if my earphone cable comes out slightly it still sends the audio through the earphones but only at a fraction of the volume.

Not exactly. This is a new system build and it has been at 1809 since it was built, but the volume issue has been happening since the installation, but I have not really noticed it until recently (I assumed that the volume was due to the video I was watching, etc) but it is happening even in gameplay, so that is when I started to investigate it more. I have checked the cables, and they are fine, these are speakers, not headphones, but when I fire up my bluetooth headphones, the volume is fine, in fact I have to turn it way down!

9 minutes ago, Microsoft BOB™ 10 said:

Get Peace with Equalizer APO to boost the volume.

OK, what is Peace, and where do I find it?

I googled it and found it, I will install it and report back.

Nick H.    9,708
5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have checked the cables, and they are fine, these are speakers, not headphones, but when I fire up my bluetooth headphones, the volume is fine, in fact I have to turn it way down!

So have you plugged the speakers in to a different device to see if they could be having the issue?

+jnelsoninjax    11,800

These speakers are brand new (~2 months) and they were my brother-in-laws first, but he upgraded to full digital and gave this set to me, and when they were on his system they worked fine. I just checked all the cables again and re-seated them and I will try the program that was suggested.

adrynalyne    11,698
1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

These speakers are brand new (~2 months) and they were my brother-in-laws first, but he upgraded to full digital and gave this set to me, and when they were on his system they worked fine. I just checked all the cables again and re-seated them and I will try the program that was suggested.

It would be worth trying an analog headset or speakers in the same port those are in. BT headphones aren’t a good test. 

+jnelsoninjax    11,800
13 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It would be worth trying an analog headset or speakers in the same port those are in. BT headphones aren’t a good test. 

I will borrow a set from my niece, even though they are pink! :D

So @Microsoft BOB™ 10 I installed peace, and have played around with it, and it appears that it is increasing the volume in video playback for sure!

kalkal    558

Make sure you're set to stereo instead of 5.1 or something if you only have 2 speakers, because it'll only be outputting the front channel if this is the case. Think I had the same problem at some point, and I had to find a specific driver for realtek to be able to access their control panel to change this, as it wasn't an option in the windows sound settings.