Odd problem in Win10 VMs

I have 4 VMDKs for Windows 10, 2 on a Macbook Pro, and 2 on a Mac Mini. I have an odd issue with 3 of them, and I do not think it is a Windows problem, but, rather, a problem with the individual installs of Windows in the VMs themselves.

One the 3 VMs (I should mention these are all Windows Insider builds on the fast track, currently 18305, but this problem has been there for a while) does not exhibit this problem. On the 3 problematic ones, I cannot place icons on the taskbar so I can click-and-run. When running, the icons show there, but if I move something to be on the taskbar, nothing shows up. 

Any ideas as to what I can clean up or check to fix this. I've had it for a while, but now need the VMs much more and would like to be able to get the stuff pinned there that I need. I am figuring this is something pretty minor to fix- much easier than rebuilding the VMs (which would mess up the license counts.)

odd can't say i've ever run into that issue

would rebuilding the VMs mess up the licence count though now that Windows 10 uses digital licences? I don't think Windows 10 has this issue like previous versions anymore.

outside of a full rebuild have you tried running a refresh on them?

The Windows license is not the problem- it is the installed software that would be a problem. 

They have been updated several times since I first noticed the problem. But I am wondering if by "refresh" you mean something different than I am thinking?

Ah, didn't even think about software licences.

The refresh (now labeled reset in 10) was added since Windows 8; it will attempt to restore back to a clean install state without wiping all current installed app/licences

Win 32 app will need manually reinstalled but it should preserve the licences and just be active once installed again from my understanding

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-reset-refresh-windows-10-installation-better-performance

I have found a few tips on this I am trying - having to reinstall some apps could be a challenge if I can't find the install media. This does seem to be a problem with Win10. I've digesting one thread with 6 pages of replies and complaints so far.

...and none of those tips worked. I did create a new user on one of the machines, but it made no difference. It's only a minor annoyance and I can live with it, but it is still annoying.