Odd problem in Win10 VMs

SoCalRox

I have 4 VMDKs for Windows 10, 2 on a Macbook Pro, and 2 on a Mac Mini. I have an odd issue with 3 of them, and I do not think it is a Windows problem, but, rather, a problem with the individual installs of Windows in the VMs themselves.

One the 3 VMs (I should mention these are all Windows Insider builds on the fast track, currently 18305, but this problem has been there for a while) does not exhibit this problem. On the 3 problematic ones, I cannot place icons on the taskbar so I can click-and-run. When running, the icons show there, but if I move something to be on the taskbar, nothing shows up. 

Any ideas as to what I can clean up or check to fix this. I've had it for a while, but now need the VMs much more and would like to be able to get the stuff pinned there that I need. I am figuring this is something pretty minor to fix- much easier than rebuilding the VMs (which would mess up the license counts.)

Brandon H

odd can't say i've ever run into that issue

would rebuilding the VMs mess up the licence count though now that Windows 10 uses digital licences? I don't think Windows 10 has this issue like previous versions anymore.

outside of a full rebuild have you tried running a refresh on them?

SoCalRox

The Windows license is not the problem- it is the installed software that would be a problem. 

They have been updated several times since I first noticed the problem. But I am wondering if by "refresh" you mean something different than I am thinking?

Brandon H

Ah, didn't even think about software licences.

The refresh (now labeled reset in 10) was added since Windows 8; it will attempt to restore back to a clean install state without wiping all current installed app/licences

Win 32 app will need manually reinstalled but it should preserve the licences and just be active once installed again from my understanding

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-reset-refresh-windows-10-installation-better-performance

• Like 1
SoCalRox

I have found a few tips on this I am trying - having to reinstall some apps could be a challenge if I can't find the install media. This does seem to be a problem with Win10. I've digesting one thread with 6 pages of replies and complaints so far.

SoCalRox

...and none of those tips worked. I did create a new user on one of the machines, but it made no difference. It's only a minor annoyance and I can live with it, but it is still annoying.