Brand New ASUS Rog GL703GS Screen Flickering/Glitching

Merry Christmas everyone!

I've had this laptop for just over a month now and had nothing but problems with it, with next to no help from Asus and NVidia.

I was advised to try un installing the drivers and re installing them by Laptops Direct (where I purchased it) as they reckoned it was a driver issue and not hardware as when I moved the screen back and forth it didn't initiate the flickering. So I tried these steps which seemed to work at first and I thought yeh it was just a driver issue but after a short 2 days it returned again, so I followed the same steps again and have tried several older drivers that were recommended by people on the NVidia forum which worked again for maybe an hour or so before going back to this annoying flicker. I've since contacted asus about the problem and all they say is send it back to them, without even trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Has anyone with similar specs, or the same machine had the same problems? I would rather get it resovled myself if it is a software issue rather than the hassle of sending it back to ASUS as I need the laptop, but if it comes to it I guess I'll just have to, here is a link to the video I recorded last week. This was when it was at its worst, it's not as bad now.  

Specs on the laptop are; NVidia GTX 1070 (Running driver 417.35), Intel i7 8750, 144hz display

Sup! That sucks :s. Let's do the opposite: Let's uninstall all the display drivers and let the computer run like that. It must not flick. Therefore, if it still flicks it's definitely a Hardware issue.

Edit:

Thinking about it... It could also be a loose connector inside the computer (unlikely?). Monitors tend to flick when connectors aren't properly placed.

1 hour ago, Jose_49 said:

This is even a quicker and better approach.

Correct since Windows will install another version of Nvidia drivers after uninstall. 

Ok, well I've had a play about for about 5 mins in BIOS and it didn't happen. As I say sometimes it wont flicker what for a while then it just randomly starts happening.

6 minutes ago, Gazza12 said:

Ok, well I've had a play about for about 5 mins in BIOS and it didn't happen. As I say sometimes it wont flicker what for a while then it just randomly starts happening.

Try entering into Safe Mode with Networking. (Press Shift while you hit "restart" on the power menu so you can enter to the advanced menu).

Browse the web, do stuff (Albeit it's going to be very limited), and then check if it flicks...

39 minutes ago, Jose_49 said:

Try entering into Safe Mode with Networking. (Press Shift while you hit "restart" on the power menu so you can enter to the advanced menu).

Browse the web, do stuff (Albeit it's going to be very limited), and then check if it flicks...

I will when it starts flickering again in normal mode, I've just tried playing a game because that usually sets it off but it just doesn't seem to be doing it right now 😂. This is whats leading me to believe its a software issue, if it was hardware I'm sure it would be occurring all the time 😕

48 minutes ago, Gazza12 said:

I will when it starts flickering again in normal mode, I've just tried playing a game because that usually sets it off but it just doesn't seem to be doing it right now 😂. This is whats leading me to believe its a software issue, if it was hardware I'm sure it would be occurring all the time 😕

Actually hardware can go off when it wants. It doesn't have to be constant. ;) 

Edited by Mindovermaster

On 12/25/2018 at 3:57 PM, Jose_49 said:

Ok so, I've had a play about in safe mode and it wasn't doing it at all. Software problem?

10 minutes ago, Gazza12 said:

Ok so, I've had a play about in safe mode and it wasn't doing it at all. Software problem?

Most likely... Doesn't look like a hardware fault.

Can you get a Linux boot-cd? Ubuntu, Mint, whatever. Just run it of CD/USB, no install needed. If you don't get anything, as you explained above, then yes, I'd lead towards software.

23 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Most likely... Doesn't look like a hardware fault.

Can you get a Linux boot-cd? Ubuntu, Mint, whatever. Just run it of CD/USB, no install needed. If you don't get anything, as you explained above, then yes, I'd lead towards software.

I don't have any of those. Starting to do my head in browsing the NVidia forums for hours trying to find similar issues 😥

2 hours ago, Gazza12 said:

Not necessarily. Hardware acceleration doesn’t work in Safe Mode or in the BIOS setup so you could still be looking at a video card hardware issue. 

1)Boot with F8 to safe mode

2)uninstall VGA driver

3)remove drivers folders....//program files/nvidia.....etc

4)install OLD driver (2017 years)

5)block nvidia update servers (hosts)

Yea ... that is what I would have done. Brand new, flickering like your first video ... strongly makes me believe it is hardware related.  Though it may be working fine now ... it could eventually rear its ugly head again (probably the day after warranty...haha).  A brand new notebook shouldn't be doing that out of the box...be it software or hardware.

54 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Yea ... that is what I would have done. Brand new, flickering like your first video ... strongly makes me believe it is hardware related.  Though it may be working fine now ... it could eventually rear its ugly head again (probably the day after warranty...haha).  A brand new notebook shouldn't be doing that out of the box...be it software or hardware.

Aye it's not good. I've had so many problems with it since getting it.. Very disappointed to say the least after spending £1700 you'd expect a premium product. Wont be getting another Asus product after this anyway.

18 minutes ago, Gazza12 said:

Aye it's not good. I've had so many problems with it since getting it.. Very disappointed to say the least after spending £1700 you'd expect a premium product. Wont be getting another Asus product after this anyway.

More than likely you just got a defective unit; I wouldn't wholly blame Asus as they are one of the better OEMs for the consumer market.

The problem is more that quality is generally lower on all consumer grade models no matter the OEM ... for this reason I always recommend people aim for the business grade models if getting a laptop.

The business grade laptops have a higher standard of quality.

21 minutes ago, Gazza12 said:

It most likely was software.... Coulda been power settings... But anyway it's RMA'd now, so...

1 minute ago, Farchord said:

It most likely was software.... Coulda been power settings... But anyway it's RMA'd now, so...

software or not; there's really no excuse for it acting like that out of the box; I'd have RMA'd it too but I wouldn't have waited so long or messed with it personally.

24 minutes ago, Farchord said:

Kinda doubt it. Edit: Maybe. See post below.

46 minutes ago, Gazza12 said:

The unfortunate truth about laptops is even the best brands can be hit or miss as to whether you got one built on a Friday ;)

Edited by adrynalyne

I had rebuilt about 4 older Asus Rog laptops with all the bells and whistles that all suffrered the same problem. What makes the rog models so great is they pack everything in there so they are almost as fast as the desktop but not quite. What they suffer from is they are extremely bios sensitive meaning that even the video drivers are controlled by the bios allowances. All the ones I worked on and ran Cad and games on had to have the latest bios update and sometimes a beta bios to allow for the newest drivers out and alot of times that was not concurrent with the latest driver release. Usually asus would address the issue about 3 months later with a bios update that would allow the driver to work correctly and remove the flicker. The video card thats in the laptop is not identical to the desktop for heat purpose reasons and so the numbers on it are tighter so the card doesnt get too hot which is controlled by the bios revision. When they do have everything in order they are the greatest laptop ever.....

You know, come to think of it, I had something similar to this issue on my Zenbook Pro. It was that garbage ASUS Splendid software that did it. Uninstall it and see if it makes a difference. 

It's not ASUS, dudes. I had one of their EeBooks and it worked fine.

Like Brandon said, get the business class, 100x better than any consumer grade.

Can even get Walmart's: