Location, is there a way to keep it from being turned off?

So my niece is 14, and has proven that she can not be trusted to go where she claims she is going, and her dad has her gmail password so he can use the find my phone to locate her, however, she has gotten wise to this and turns off location, so it can not be found. We have tried to talk to her about this, but she will not stop doing it, and we have also tried a program called Life 360, but she disables and/or removes the program so she can not be tracked. We have explained to her that our only intention is to know where she is, nothing more then that. So my question is what (if anything) can we do to the phone to prevent her from being able to turn off location.

Hello,

You might want to check about setting the device up with adult and child permissions, as well as installing security software that offers additional parental control features.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

From the sounds of it the problem that you're going to have is that she'll soon figure that out as well, and then she'll just put the phone in to airplane mode and only turn it off to check her notifications and promptly turn it on again.

I know you said it's your niece and maybe not your responsibility, but I'd start by taking phone away and not allowing her to go anywhere!  Probably get busted for abuse or some kind of dumb stuff like that in today's world, but oh well.

4 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

You might want to check about setting the device up with adult and child permissions, as well as installing security software that offers additional parental control features.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

That sounds like it might be the best method, can you recommend a program that we could look into?

1 hour ago, uniacidz said:

Samsung?

Cos I just tried with the Samsung Find My Mobile and forces the location to be turned on even if was turned off

Can do from a web page 

No, it is not a samsung, the phone she had before was a Samsung, but she is also very careless and often drops the cell phone, causing the screen to be cracked, and the cost to repair the screen is almost as much as the phone cost, so her dad bought her a different phone.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:32 PM, Riva said:

Try and workout the issue with the kid isntead of trying to use technology to enforce behaviour. Otherwise just get a GPS tracker 😛

Not till she throw that in the trash as well lol

Well for now I managed to remove Location and Airplane mode from the top pull down menu, and I do not think she knows how to go through settings and find either one, so this should buy some time!

16 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Well for now I managed to remove Location and Airplane mode from the top pull down menu, and I do not think she knows how to go through settings and find either one, so this should buy some time!

Isn't ther a cog icon somewhere on the top as well?

Sounds like it’s time to take away her phone and have her experience the consequences of being dishonest. 

You shouldn’t have to go through loops and hoops for something like this. 

The moment she removed life360 would of been a phone ban offense in my book.

If communication is a concern, there are still plenty of flip phones around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DentedAphid7 said:

Isn't ther a cog icon somewhere on the top as well?

Yes, but she doesn't know about that...

38 minutes ago, shockz said:

Sounds like it’s time to take away her phone and have her experience the consequences of being dishonest. 

I agree as well, but her father seems to be far too lenient with everything that goes down, I can only do so much.

34 minutes ago, shockz said:

agreed; there are times you just need to put your foot down as a parent/family (advise parent to put foot down).

the phone is a privilege and you/they set rules and stipulations with that privilege; she broke that rule and then further defied you by removing life360 so there should be consequences of temporarily losing the privilege.

If she knows she can get away with it she's just going to keep doing it. Honestly the harder you make it the more she's just going to dig on how to bypass whatever you've done; only a matter of time before she learns how to wipe her own phone and load a custom ROM at that rate.

It's time for the parents to parent; the teenage years are the hardest that's for sure, especially in this time of technology as we've begun to lean on it like a crutch

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

agreed; there are times you just need to put your foot down as a parent/family (advise parent to put foot down).

the phone is a privilege and you/they set rules and stipulations with that privilege; she broke that rule and then further defied you by removing life360 so there should be consequences of temporarily losing the privilege.

If she knows she can get away with it she's just going to keep doing it. Honestly the harder you make it the more she's just going to dig on how to bypass whatever you've done; only a matter of time before she learns how to wipe her own phone and load a custom ROM at that rate.

It's time for the parents to parent; the teenage years are the hardest that's for sure, especially in this time of technology as we've begun to lean on it like a crutch

Oh I agree 100%, I feel that the biggest problem is that since my niece watched her mother get hit and killed, and her dad has had to step up and be the parent/authoritarian figure/etc (he has been in her life, but never really 'hands on' same with his son) there  has been (and still is) a fair amount of tension between father/daughter and rather then punish her, he just wants to pacify everything (makes huge threats, but never follows through). I guess I may have to step up and just tell him this is what we are going to do, period, point blank, no backing down. 

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Oh I agree 100%, I feel that the biggest problem is that since my niece watched her mother get hit and killed, and her dad has had to step up and be the parent/authoritarian figure/etc (he has been in her life, but never really 'hands on' same with his son) there is  has been (and still is) a fair amount of tension between father/daughter and rather then punish her, he just wants to pacify everything (makes huge threats, but never follows through). I guess I may have to step up and just tell him this is what we are going to do, period, point blank, no backing down. 

yes, they've been through some hard times but you'd be doing them a favor by stepping in at this point. With a living situation like that things are only going to continue to degrade and get worse unless one of them makes a point to start trying to change and sometimes they just need a little push/help from someone trusted like other family :)