Do you approve or disapprove of segregation academies for white students?

Do you approve or disapprove of segregation academies for white students?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve or disapprove of segregation academies for white students?

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

What universities?

I didn't talk about any universities.

Schools, universities, academies, it's all the same concept.  The semantics of it doesn't make your false claims any less ridiculous...

Just now, Astra.Xtreme said:

Schools, universities, academies, it's all the same concept.  The schematics of it doesn't make your false claims any less ridiculous...

They're not necessarily false - the numbers he's cited certainly suggest segregation but I'd be interested in seeing more background - numbers alone don't tell the whole tale. I do agree with you that he's keeping his focus too narrow. You can't talk about these "white segregation schools" without also discussing all-black schools as well.

11 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Source? More for my own edification than dispute.

That's why I said they should be looked into. And the all-black schools should be similarly investigated. There's no justification for segregation, regardless of who is doing it. Why do you single out white-only segregation when there's the same thing going on with black schools? It's wrong in either case.

Did you read the article that I put in the first post?

It talks about segregation academies and specifically Indianola Academy.

Edited by Mockingbird

6 minutes ago, DConnell said:

They're not necessarily false - the numbers he's cited certainly suggest segregation but I'd be interested in seeing more background - numbers alone don't tell the whole tale. I do agree with you that he's keeping his focus too narrow. You can't talk about these "white segregation schools" without also discussing all-black schools as well.

Yeah that part of it is true, but his claim is that these schools purposely accept only white people, which there is a lie since they clearly have a certain percent of non-white people enrolled.  That was the detail he was called out on right away and is now tip-toeing around.

17 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Yeah that part of it is true, but his claim is that these schools purposely accept only white people, which there is a lie since they clearly have a certain percent of non-white people enrolled.  That was the detail he was called out on right away and is now tip-toeing around.

Did anyone actually read the article that I put in the first post?

It said:

But more than four decades after they were established, "segregation academies" in Mississippi towns like Indianola continue to define nearly every aspect of community life. Hundreds of these schools opened across the country in the 20 years after the Brown v. Board decision, particularly in southern states like Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, and Virginia. While an unknown number endure outside of Mississippi, the Delta remains their strongest bastion.

A Hechinger Report analysis of private school demographics (using data compiled on the National Center for Education Statistics website) found that more than 35 such academies survive in Mississippi, many of them in rural Delta communities like Indianola. Each of the schools was founded between 1964 and 1972 in response to anticipated or actual desegregation orders, and all of them enroll fewer than two percent black students. (The number of Mississippi "segregation academies" swells well above 35 if schools where the black enrollment is between three and 10 percent are counted.) At some of them -- including Benton Academy near Yazoo City and Carroll Academy near Greenwood -- not a single black student attended in 2010, according to the most recent data. Others, like Indianola Academy, have a small amount of diversity.

Edited by Mockingbird

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

Did anyone actually read the article that I put in the first post?

You're completely missing the point...  Show us proof that these schools purposely deny black people.  Whatever those schools were supposedly founded on many decades ago is completely irrelevant today...

The reality of it is that certain demographics willingly choose or not choose to go to these schools.   You can't put a gun to people's heads and force them to make diversity equalize...

And since you still choose to ignore the comments from everybody else, do you have a problem with the schools that have almost 100% black attendees?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Blame everyone else but yourself. If nobody gets the message you intended, maybe, just maybe it’s the not their fault. 🙄You know full well how you worded it was intended to get a rise out of people, otherwise you wouldn’t have made the the “idiots” comment and gone on about your interracial marriage. Just more passive aggressive nonsense on your end and then you cry foul when someone bites on the bait. You are very predictable. 

its just you guys, the SAME guys from the trump thread, over and over and over and over and over again on ANY topic.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

So let's get this straight... Mockingbird makes a claim that these universities only accept white people, to then later get called out that it's a lie and then cave by claiming they allow some in to meet a quota.  All of that without a single bit of proof.  Surprise surprise...

I got news for you... There's an equally long list of universities that are almost 100% black.  Are you going to claim that those schools also require a quota of a few white people?  What a stupid topic to try to troll people with...

Hey, let's discuss the topic of black-only fraternities, black-only sororities, and black-only scholarships.  You know, the things that are actual segregation in a true and factual form...  Surely you have to be against those, right?  If not, are you cool with white-only versions of those?  How about White Entertainment TV since we have BET.  How about white history month?  One can't be racist and not the other.  Fair is fair...

Not sure if you are trolling...

1 hour ago, neufuse said:

Why is the approve or disapprove of only academies for white students? There are ones for black students only... Lane University is 100% black by their admission statistics... Why is it only bad for one color? the topic should say "Do you approve or disapprove of segregation in schools?" because black only is just as segregated as white only... and just as wrong... and I don't care about people saying "black people want it that way because they feel more safe" that in itself is racism... because that's exactly why the white people segregated in the old days... they "felt more safe".... among other excuses...

Lane University is a HBCU but still accepts non-black students as per their website. Actually, a lot of non-black people attend HBCU's. But to your larger point, I have a question. You are aware why schools like Lane University exist, right?

1 hour ago, DConnell said:

Source? More for my own edification than dispute.

That's why I said they should be looked into. And the all-black schools should be similarly investigated. There's no justification for segregation, regardless of who is doing it. Why do you single out white-only segregation when there's the same thing going on with black schools? It's wrong in either case.

It's actually not.

On another note, I am personally against segregation, period. With that being said, there is a reason why "Black" colleges exist. The same reason BET exists, Black History Month etc and all these other non-white themed holidays. I came on today to scope out any Humble Bundle deals and came across this topic and it reminded me why I stopped coming here for debates. Some people live in a bubble of ignorance and refuse to pop it. Ignorance isn't a bad thing, I'm ignorant on a ton of topics. The difference is though, I am willing to learn what I don't know. Regardless of your stance on segregation, there is a reason all black schools exist so the "what-about-ism" is only a deflection to kill the argument.

@Mockingbird I commend you for trying to argue your point to a wall. Admittedly I haven't read EVERY response to this thread or the OP in details but from what I see, you're a glutton for punishment.

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

These segregation academies were founded because white parents don't want sent their kids to public school with black kids.

This is a well established fact.

Same could be said for black-only schools... what would be the difference? (not agreeing with the practice, asking what the difference is). Equality is a double edged sword for those that want privilege. 

3 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

On another note, I am personally against segregation, period. With that being said, there is a reason why "Black" colleges exist. The same reason BET exists, Black History Month etc and all these other non-white themed holidays. I came on today to scope out any Humble Bundle deals and came across this topic and it reminded me why I stopped coming here for debates. Some people live in a bubble of ignorance and refuse to pop it. Ignorance isn't a bad thing, I'm ignorant on a ton of topics. The difference is though, I am willing to learn what I don't know. Regardless of your stance on segregation, there is a reason all black schools exist so the "what-about-ism" is only a deflection to kill the argument.

What is the reason? You lecture people about their deflections and attempts to kill the argument, but then make an assertion without detailing what it is. "There's a reason..." without providing that reason is no less a deflection and an attack on those here rather than the actual argument. Really all you've done is eloquently told others they don't know what they're talking about and provided nothing more to the discussion.

Also, your example of Black History Month is entirely inadequate, because nobody is impacted by the lack of a White History Month. However, black only schools/clubs/groups do impact non-black people who want to be a part of those things. That's not just Whites, but Hispanics and Asians. So what is this reason you so nebulously cite?

9 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

On another note, I am personally against segregation, period.

it is good that you know this.

9 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

With that being said, there is a reason why "Black" colleges exist.

Glad you are against this... unless you're not. Equality is a 2 way street. Since universities and schools actually force themselves to admit higher percentage of blacks vs. other races, do you still even need black-only schools? Once upon a time perhaps, but certainly not now. Would you also support Asian-only schools that wouldn't allow other colors? What about Hispanic? 

Just now, Emn1ty said:

What is the reason? You lecture people about their deflections and attempts to kill the argument, but then make an assertion without detailing what it is. "There's a reason..." without providing that reason is no less a deflection and an attack on those here rather than the actual argument. Really all you've done is eloquently told others they don't know what they're talking about and provided nothing more to the discussion.

Also, your example of Black History Month is entirely inadequate, because nobody is impacted by the lack of a White History Month. However, black only schools/clubs/groups do impact non-black people who want to be a part of those things. That's not just Whites, but Hispanics and Asians. So what is this reason you so nebulously cite?

Bingo. I don't want to be apart of the discussion, just add my opinion which I am entitled to do the last time I checked as long as I am not breaking any rules. If you think what I said is without merit, then I agree with you.

14 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

Not sure if you are trolling...

Why would I be trolling?  It's a completely legitimate comment and question.

Please share your reasoning as to why such a double standard should exist...

2 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

it is good that you know this.

Glad you are against this... unless you're not. Equality is a 2 way street. Since universities and schools actually force themselves to admit higher percentage of blacks vs. other races, do you still even need black-only schools? Once upon a time perhaps, but certainly not now. Would you also support Asian-only schools that wouldn't allow other colors? What about Hispanic? 

I don't know every scenario in every county to say what is needed and for who. If the people there feel there is a need, let them fill it. Personally, I woulnd't sit at the dinner table with my children and look at colleges based on color. My kids go to a majority white school now only because of the neighborhood we live in.

3 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Hey, let's discuss the topic of black-only fraternities, black-only sororities, and black-only scholarships.  You know, the things that are actual segregation in a true and factual form.

This entire comment is ignorant and the time it will take to explain isn't worth it. Not that YOU aren't worth it, but I don't have the time.

7 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Why would I be trolling?  It's a completely legitimate comment and question.

Please share your reasoning as to why such a double standard should exist...

I agree that it is legitimate, no dispute there. The problem is that what you deem legitimate might not be legitimate to me and vice versa. Your unedited comment asked if I would like to put some effort into my reasoning. The answer is no. Not because I can't, but because the same effort it takes for you to retort can be applied to looking up to origins of HBCU's, black-only scholarships etc. Nothing I say will change your mind if you haven't taken that first step to try and understand. Y'all are all talking OVER and AT each other instead of TO each other. Nothing productive will come of this thread at all and any subsequent thread relating to the same premise.

11 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

If the people there feel there is a need, let them fill it. 

So, you are openly accepting of segregation based on the shade of ones skin. Interesting. At least you seem to be for equality then... unless you would be against whites doing this, or would that be ok too then?

• Like 1

Just now, Rippleman said:

So, you are openly accepting of segregation based on the shade of ones skin. Interesting. At least you seem to be for equality then... unless you would be against whites doing this, or would that be ok too then?

🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

This entire comment is ignorant and the time it will take to explain isn't worth it. Not that YOU aren't worth it, but I don't have the time.

I agree that it is legitimate, no dispute there. The problem is that what you deem legitimate might not be legitimate to me and vice versa. Your unedited comment asked if I would like to put some effort into my reasoning. The answer is no. Not because I can't, but because the same effort it takes for you to retort can be applied to looking up to origins of HBCU's, black-only scholarships etc. Nothing I say will change your mind if you haven't taken that first step to try and understand. Y'all are all talking OVER and AT each other instead of TO each other. Nothing productive will come of this thread at all and any subsequent thread relating to the same premise.

Seriously?  So essentially you have no desire to even back up your claims?  You'd rather run your mouth and say we're all ignorant and then run away when people call you out...  How incredibly lazy of you...

The sad part is that you seem to think that the color of our skin should be merit for being treated differently.  Why else would you be okay with black-only incentives but not the opposite for other races?  You do realize that sort of thinking is part of the problem, right?

Segregation and racism can never be solved if people refuse to allow everybody to be treated equally across the board...  Double standards keeps the problem alive...  Take a look in the mirror before calling us ignorant...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

On another note, I am personally against segregation, period. With that being said, there is a reason why "Black" colleges exist.

Because "separate" is okay as long as you're the one doing the separating? Sorry. but I believe that racism will never be ended if all sides continue to wall themselves up from other viewpoints and cultures. I consider BET, all-black colleges, etc. just as racist and - dare I say stupid - as the white segregation schools Mockingbird is talking about. You can't end racism by force, you can't end it by blocking out others.

You need exposure to and understanding of "the other guy". I too commend Mockingbird for an interesting discussion topic, but I do feel he's being too narrow in his view of the subject, though that's based on the article. To be an honest discussion, any debate on the topic of white segregation also needs to discuss the black counterpart. And if "white segregation schools" are a bad thing (which I agree they are) then how are the all-black schools any better? How do they promote true equality, understanding, harmony between races? Why is it terrible when white do it (and I agree) but not bad when blacks do it?

4 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Seriously?  So essentially you have no desire to even back up your claims?  You'd rather run your mouth and say we're all ignorant and then run away when people call you out...  How incredibly lazy of you...

The sad part is that you seem to think that the color of our skin should be merit for being treated differently.  Why else would you be okay with black-only incentives but not the opposite for other races?  You do realize that sort of thinking is part of the problem, right?

Segregation and racism can never be solved if people refuse to allow everybody to be treated equally across the board...  Double standards keeps the problem alive...  Take a look in the mirror before calling us ignorant...

I actually never called you ignorant. None of you. As far as the rest of the comment, okay.

ignorant.thumb.JPG.1452d5574d18aa5521c52068b8298c36.JPG

58 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

You're completely missing the point...  Show us proof that these schools purposely deny black people.  Whatever those schools were supposedly founded on many decades ago is completely irrelevant today...

The reality of it is that certain demographics willingly choose or not choose to go to these schools.   You can't put a gun to people's heads and force them to make diversity equalize...

And since you still choose to ignore the comments from everybody else, do you have a problem with the schools that have almost 100% black attendees?

They are called historically black colleges and universities because they were founded before the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, at a time when blacks had hard time getting into predominantly white institutions of higher-learning (because of segregation).

The were not founded to exclude white students.

Many of these historically black colleges and universities have significant non-black student bodies.

Bluefield State College is 86% white

West Virginia State University is 80% white

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's completely different from segregation academies that were founded to exclude black students. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So let me summarize this:

Historically black colleges and universities were founded because blacks couldn't get into many predominantly white institutions of higher-learning (because of segregation). They were not founded to exclude white students.

Segregation academies were found to exclude black students.

Edited by Mockingbird

3 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

I actually never called you ignorant. None of you. As far as the rest of the comment, okay.

ignorant.thumb.JPG.1452d5574d18aa5521c52068b8298c36.JPG

Let's see...

"I came on today to scope out any Humble Bundle deals and came across this topic and it reminded me why I stopped coming here for debates. Some people live in a bubble of ignorance and refuse to pop it."

"This entire comment is ignorant and the time it will take to explain isn't worth it. Not that YOU aren't worth it, but I don't have the time."

Just because you didn't aim it at a specific person, it doesn't give you immunity to what we all know you meant...  Calling a comment ignorant is equal to calling the person ignorant by association.

Instead of deflecting to meaningless semantics, how about you actually address the comments?  Clearly you do have the time...

39 minutes ago, mrchetsteadman said:

Bingo. I don't want to be apart of the discussion, just add my opinion which I am entitled to do the last time I checked as long as I am not breaking any rules. If you think what I said is without merit, then I agree with you.

Congratulations on successfully not being a part of the discussion I guess.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

They are called historically black colleges and universities because they were founded before the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, at a time when blacks had hard time getting into predominantly white institutions of higher-learning (because of segregation).

The were not founded to exclude white students.

Many of these historically black colleges and universities have significant non-black student bodies.

Bluefield State College is 86% white

West Virginia State University is 80% white

Why are you nitpicking completely meaningless details?  Why do the details on the formation of the school have any meaning today?  You're yet to provide any proof that your segregation claims are true today.

You keep changing the topic and refuse to respond to any of the comments that call you out on your flawed logic...  If you're going to start a discussion, at least keep it on topic.  Deflecting when you get cornered is such a childish tactic...

• Like 2