• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Do you approve or disapprove of segregation academies for white students?

Do you approve or disapprove of segregation academies for white students?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Mockingbird    2,711
8 minutes ago, DConnell said:

I guess I missed the spot in the article where it showed a breakdown of applicants by race. You can't make that conclusion without knowing how many black applicants there were. Does that 1% black enrollment represent 100% of the black applicants? 70%? 10%? If blacks aren't enrolling, for fear of being marginalized for being different, it's not like the school can force black kids to enroll. (I experienced such marginalization due to being the poor kid at Devon Prep all those years ago.)

 

I suppose one measure of whether it's a "segregation academy" is whether the school is doing anything to encourage non-white applications. I don't recall if that was touched upon in the article ...

 

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, just that the numbers don't really give a full picture.

There is no way to obtain that information.

 

Private schools are not require by law to submit that information.

 

That said, it's common knowledge around those parts that these academies admit black students for their athletic abilities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711
4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

That said, it's common knowledge around those parts that these academies admit black students for their athletic abilities.

Ding dong

 

Remember, Indianola Academy is 1% black

 

Look at Indianola Academy's HS basketball team:

 

hs-boys-1024x731.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emn1ty    4,060
2 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Ding dong

 

Remember, Indianola Academy is 1% black

 

Look at Indianola Academy's HS basketball team:

 

Using arbitrary evidence again to try and insinuate intent. Pointing to an arbitrary photo (and oddly enough an incredibly stereotypical one) as evidence of that is just cherry picking. You picked a picture of pretty much the smallest team with the highest percentage of blacks in it (highschool basketball team).

 

Junior High Basketball Team:

jr-hi-boys-1024x731.jpg

 

Lets take a look at the football teams:
hs-football.jpg

JH-FOOTBALL.jpg

 

How about the soccer team?

kathryn2-1024x731.jpg

 

To me it looks like of their 1% black student body, not many of them are in these teams. From counting in the pictures, I saw about ~22. Of course not all the departments have photos so it's not an exact number. I wonder what percentage of their students are in sports period, as there are only 491 students enrolled. 63 in the Basketball teams, which means 12% of the student body is in Basketball alone. There's 59 in Football which is another 12%. I mean... do the math here. Seems like a majority of the students there are involved in sports.

Edited by Emn1ty
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazmac    2,700
8 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

So let's get this straight... Mockingbird makes a claim that these universities only accept white people, to then later get called out that it's a lie and then cave by claiming they allow some in to meet a quota.  All of that without a single bit of proof.  Surprise surprise...

I got news for you... There's an equally long list of universities that are almost 100% black.  Are you going to claim that those schools also require a quota of a few white people?  What a stupid topic to try to troll people with...

 

Hey, let's discuss the topic of black-only fraternities, black-only sororities, and black-only scholarships.  You know, the things that are actual segregation in a true and factual form...  Surely you have to be against those, right?  If not, are you cool with white-only versions of those?  How about White Entertainment TV since we have BET.  How about white history month?  One can't be racist and not the other.  Fair is fair...

Name one "black only" fraternity or sorority.  Name one black only university? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazmac    2,700
17 hours ago, Rippleman said:

Look at the question. The question is based on color. I answered based on the question. I do not need a most-likely-ficational-deity.

 

You avoided answering the question. Let me reword in another way:  "Does Jazmac believe certain colors/races should have rights/privileges that other colors/races do not have and are restricted from having? Yes or No?"

I read your answer and its clear as a bell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711
35 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Using arbitrary evidence again to try and insinuate intent. Pointing to an arbitrary photo (and oddly enough an incredibly stereotypical one) as evidence of that is just cherry picking. You picked a picture of pretty much the smallest team with the highest percentage of blacks in it (highschool basketball team).

 

Junior High Basketball Team:

jr-hi-boys-1024x731.jpg

 

Lets take a look at the football teams:
hs-football.jpg

JH-FOOTBALL.jpg

 

How about the soccer team?

kathryn2-1024x731.jpg

 

To me it looks like of their 1% black student body, not many of them are in these teams. From counting in the pictures, I saw about ~22. Of course not all the departments have photos so it's not an exact number. I wonder what percentage of their students are in sports period, as there are only 491 students enrolled. 63 in the Basketball teams, which means 12% of the student body is in Basketball alone. There's 59 in Football which is another 12%. I mean... do the math here. Seems like a majority of the students there are involved in sports.

You are right that just looking at pictures is cherry picking.

 

I do concede that I shouldn’t have done that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rippleman    3,850
18 minutes ago, Jazmac said:

I read your answer and its clear as a bell.  

why are you still avoiding the question? Lets see if you dodge the question a third time.  ( a couple of your peeps are professional question dodgers too, watch one make a comment about it)

 

"Does Jazmac believe certain colors/races should have rights/privileges that other colors/races do not have and are restricted from having? Yes or No?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Graham    105
2 hours ago, Jazmac said:

Name one "black only" fraternity or sorority.  Name one black only university? 

http://www.lanecollege.edu/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,736
3 hours ago, Jazmac said:

Name one "black only" fraternity or sorority.  Name one black only university? 

https://hbculifestyle.com/the-divine-9-sororities-and-fraternities-on-hbcu-campuses/

 

there are are nine there (plenty more)

 

Here is the United negro college fund, just for black people 

 https://www.uncf.org/

 

Colleges just for black people

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/slideshows/top-10-historically-black-colleges-and-universities

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711

 

9 minutes ago, sc302 said:

https://hbculifestyle.com/the-divine-9-sororities-and-fraternities-on-hbcu-campuses/

 

there are are nine there (plenty more)



 

Here is the United negro college fund, just for black people 



 https://www.uncf.org/

 

Colleges just for black people



https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/slideshows/top-10-historically-black-colleges-and-universities

 

 

 

Martin Luther King Jr. actually addressed this:

 

11kl5b8.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,736

But segregated is segregation, IMO.  

 

You cannot abolish racism without removing race from everyones vocabulary. Perhaps it’s intention is to not have segregation but it enforces segregation in its own name. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711
16 minutes ago, sc302 said:

But segregated is segregation, IMO.  

 

You cannot abolish racism without removing race from everyones vocabulary. Perhaps it’s intention is to not have segregation but it enforces segregation in its own name. 

Historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) were actually established as an act of congress (Morrill Act of 1890) to provide institutions of higher educations to black students who couldn't attend white colleges and universities at the time because of segregation.

 

As society becomes more integrated, these HBCUs will becomes less and less black.

 

In fact, some HBCUs already have student bodies that are majority non-black.

 

For example, Bluefield State College is 92% non-black and West Virginia State University is 92% non-black.

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,736

until it is all gone and there is no favoritism one way or the other, racism will continue to exist.  It needs to happen across the board.  Favoritism can lead to segregation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711
15 minutes ago, sc302 said:

until it is all gone and there is no favoritism one way or the other, racism will continue to exist.  It needs to happen across the board.  Favoritism can lead to segregation. 

Anyway, getting back on topic, what do you think of segregation academies such as Indianola Academy mentioned in the article?

 

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/12/in-southern-towns-segregation-academies-are-still-going-strong/266207/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,736

I don’t think it is right to segregate in regards to race.  I think it goes against progress and really hurts the population.  We can achieve more if it were segregated based on learning and even more so if we were by capability.  Putting a bunch of innovators in a room could spark up a new technology or improvements on current technology.  Putting those people in with disruption will not allow their minds to bloom or capabilities to grow.  Putting those who want to learn into those schools would allow them to become better themselves.  

 

As a whole, segregating based on color/race is not a good for anyone. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazmac    2,700
3 hours ago, sc302 said:

https://hbculifestyle.com/the-divine-9-sororities-and-fraternities-on-hbcu-campuses/

 

there are are nine there (plenty more)

 

Here is the United negro college fund, just for black people 

 https://www.uncf.org/

 

Colleges just for black people

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/slideshows/top-10-historically-black-colleges-and-universities

 

 

 

Wrong. No organization under the Pan-Hellenic council is allowed to racially discriminate and each of these organizations have members from every race and ethnicity as members, active members.

UNCF own charter states - "UNCF envisions a nation where all Americans have equal access to a college education that prepares them for rich intellectual lives, competitive and fulfilling careers, engaged citizenship and service to our nation."  So wrong again.

To define what an Historically Black Colleges and University would probably be over your head so I would encourage you to do some research then come back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+ncoday    432
10 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

There is no way to obtain that information.

 

Private schools are not require by law to submit that information.

 

That said, it's common knowledge around those parts that these academies admit black students for their athletic abilities.

Seeing as your location puts you in either Canada or California, too early to lookup the city in Maps, how exactly is it you know what happens in the South?

 

ETA - Let me be clear, I am against segregation, but it seems you are making some pretty serious generalizations without much proof.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DConnell    6,581
9 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Anyway, getting back on topic, what do you think of segregation academies such as Indianola Academy mentioned in the article?

 

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/12/in-southern-towns-segregation-academies-are-still-going-strong/266207/

I think that the concept, and the schools as originally conceived, are both wrong. The question is whether they are actively discouraging black enrollment today, or if the low black enrollment is a choice of the potential black applicants due to the schools' histories and a fear of being different. That there are unused minority scholarships suggests that the schools may be trying for a more diverse student body, but the potential applicants aren't biting. Or the scholarships may just be for show. There simply isn't enough information to draw a conclusion. You yourself said there's no way of knowing how many black applicants the schools got, so we can't know if the 1% black enrollment is 1% of the blacks who applied or 100%.

 

As founded, the schools should not have existed. But that doesn't necessarily hold true today - we don't have the info to make a verdict.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,736
8 hours ago, Jazmac said:

Wrong. No organization under the Pan-Hellenic council is allowed to racially discriminate and each of these organizations have members from every race and ethnicity as members, active members.

UNCF own charter states - "UNCF envisions a nation where all Americans have equal access to a college education that prepares them for rich intellectual lives, competitive and fulfilling careers, engaged citizenship and service to our nation."  So wrong again.

To define what an Historically Black Colleges and University would probably be over your head so I would encourage you to do some research then come back. 

You need to understand something, at its core what it was designed to do is one thing.  Simple research of black colleges brings that up and black fraternities. If it were racially unbiased, it wouldn’t come up at all.  Understand what the term “unbiased” really means.  You can state that it is for all, but until they move away from being biased in all senses of the word they will be seen as favoritism towards a certain race.  If I favor a certain race I am biased, if I give a certain race more privilege based on that bias over another I could be considered racist.

 

I am about as neutral as they come, not favoring anyone by anything (what they have, skin color, nationality, etc), nor do I call anyone privileged because they were born into a family that is better off than mine (financially, popular, stardom, race, etc). Growing up in a prodminantly black school system, I do know a little about what I am taking about as I lived it.  You ever been a minority in a school where they call upon your class mates based on minority race to discuss financial assistance or the ability to move up to college where you are left to figure it out on your own? I have. Have you ever felt so out of place even though you are in a school system that accepts all races? I have.  You ever been picked on, teased, or beaten up because you were different?  I have.  Live in a system where you are the minority and you will quickly be humbled to the fact that nothing you have is privilege or right, that what you do and have is of your own doing not because someone gave you a hand out because of race. 

 

Again I have my own personal experiences to lean back on.  All of the racial hate and divide are burned into my soul, and it wasn’t the white people that were hating and discriminating.  They weren’t the ones to throw things at me.   They weren’t the ones who I was getting into fist fights with for trying to get to my locker. 

 

So when I see a bias, I call it out.  Before your research is complete, not just words and text, you must live it and see it as it is and try to completely remove yourself from all biases and go into the dark hallways to see what happens there, not just on the surface/in the spotlight where they want you to see. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,711
8 hours ago, ncoday said:

Seeing as your location puts you in either Canada or California, too early to lookup the city in Maps, how exactly is it you know what happens in the South?

  

ETA - Let me be clear, I am against segregation, but it seems you are making some pretty serious generalizations without much proof.

My mother is from Alabama. Her family (my grandparents) are there and have a very different worldview than I do. (They have the confederate flag in front of their house!)

 

I also have other relatives in the state.

Edited by Mockingbird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.